PDA

View Full Version : Should the Tube in my AD30VT be glowing?

tot_Ou_tard
March 21st, 2006, 05:47 PM
Can you fretters with an AD30VT help me out? I looked in through the back vent and noticed that the tube was not glowing. I had the power soak in the back cranked to 30W, the master, volume, and gain cranked. No glow even when I played a chord. Does your tube glow? Is it supposed to?

I heard a load pop like noise when I turned it on yesterday. It doesn't sound quite right to me, but I only played a few notes.

Tim
March 21st, 2006, 05:51 PM
Yes it should. Turn your Master to about the 3:00 postion.

duhvoodooman
March 21st, 2006, 06:14 PM
If the tube failed, you can get a good replacement for about $10. I can give you an excellent source--the guy individually tests every tube he sells.

tot_Ou_tard
March 21st, 2006, 06:17 PM
Yes it should. Turn your Master to about the 3:00 postion.
my Master was cranked & the amp sounds bad. The thing is that I *just* got it back from the shop. I can probably go make them put a new tube in it, but I was without my amp for 1 & 1/2 mos. the last time & I am nervous. Maybe I should just take this opportunity to try a different tube. I dunno.

tot_Ou_tard
March 21st, 2006, 06:18 PM
If the tube failed, you can get a good replacement for about $10. I can give you an excellent source--the guy individually tests every tube he sells.

Well it sounds like it has failed. I know about south valley vintage amps. What is the name of your place?

tot_Ou_tard
March 21st, 2006, 06:19 PM
Oh, BTW. Thanks for the quick reply voodoo!

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2006, 06:23 PM
SS amps "pop" when turned on. Always turn your master volume knob off on the amp everytime you shut it down so that it doesn't POP too loudly when you turn the amp back on again.

Did you check the amp in the dark? It won't glow all that brightly it's a preamp tube...but it should glow a dull orange-red.

duhvoodooman
March 21st, 2006, 06:28 PM
Well it sounds like it has failed. I know about south valley vintage amps. What is the name of your place?
Uh, that would be....South Valley Vintage Amps. The JJ Tesla tubes (ECC83-S/12AX7) are very well rated and under $9. I put one of the Groove Tube "Mullard Reissues" ($20) in my AD30VT, but in retrospect, I probably wasted $11 on a difference that is beyond my aural capability to discern!

tot_Ou_tard
March 21st, 2006, 07:13 PM
SS amps "pop" when turned on. Always turn your master volume knob off on the amp everytime you shut it down so that it doesn't POP too loudly when you turn the amp back on again.

Did you check the amp in the dark? It won't glow all that brightly it's a preamp tube...but it should glow a dull orange-red.

Thanks all. It does seem to be glowing very faintly now. I couldn't really play the amp as my wife was sleeping. Sorry for the confusion. I always slowly turn down the master (& gain & volume) before turning of the amp.

tot_Ou_tard
March 21st, 2006, 07:14 PM
Uh, that would be....South Valley Vintage Amps. The JJ Tesla tubes (ECC83-S/12AX7) are very well rated and under $9. I put one of the Groove Tube "Mullard Reissues" ($20) in my AD30VT, but in retrospect, I probably wasted $11 on a difference that is beyond my aural capability to discern!

Did you notice a difference with the JJ voodoo?

duhvoodooman
March 21st, 2006, 07:36 PM
Did you notice a difference with the JJ voodoo?
I bought one of the JJ's along with the GT Mullard, but haven't tried it yet. However, I read comments from a couple of other VOX owners who claimed a noticeable upgrade in tone over the stock tube in an ADxxVT amp after changing to the JJ. But there were some indications that the stock tubes may have been somewhat defective, if I recall correctly....

tot_Ou_tard
March 21st, 2006, 07:46 PM
I bought one of the JJ's along with the GT Mullard, but haven't tried it yet. However, I read comments from a couple of other VOX owners who claimed a noticeable upgrade in tone over the stock tube in an ADxxVT amp after changing to the JJ. But there were some indications that the stock tubes may have been somewhat defective, if I recall correctly....
But you put in the GT? How did that go?