PDA

View Full Version : Timmy

tot_Ou_tard
January 15th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I was gonna respond to Vood in the VJ mod thread about overdrive pedals, but decided it was best moved to it's own thread.

Last April I got on the list for Paul Cochrane's Timmy pedal. Just before Christmas, my name came up. I think it was $106.00 shipped. I love this pedal, it is much clearer voiced than the Bad Monkey, it works great as a clean boost, or low gain drive. The eq works great--no forced mid-hump.

Robert
January 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Wow, Tot, what a cork sniffer you turned out to be! These pedals are hyped to the max on some forums... tell us more, is the hype all true?

tot_Ou_tard
January 15th, 2008, 10:11 PM
;) Like I said before, I pre-sniff all the corks in my price range ;).

I like low gain stuff as well as clarity. So I thought it couldn't hurt to get on the Timmy list, I could always pass when my name came up. I had some Xmas money available when it came, so why not? It suits me well. I don't care about the hype other than it brought the pedal to my attention.

I like it a lot better than the Bad Monkey ;).

I am not good enough to put it through all of it's paces, so I'll pass on judging it's hypetude.

I'm set on pedals until I get a whole lot better in my playing. Next purchase will be a guitar, but I haven't settled on which one.

I had a blast with my Godin SD, Timmy, & Champion 600 tonight.

markb
January 15th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I admire your patience. I would hope it's better than a BM given the price and the wait. How does it do at cleaning up from the guitar volume, that's the only thing I don't like about most Tube Screamers I've used.

marnold
January 15th, 2008, 11:16 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you meant this:
VF7M7wQ-LGA

And it is my understanding that that song is in "Rock Band."

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

tot_Ou_tard
January 16th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I admire your patience. I would hope it's better than a BM given the price and the wait. How does it do at cleaning up from the guitar volume, that's the only thing I don't like about most Tube Screamers I've used. The patience was no big deal, I really didn't *need* the pedal & when it came up it was a nice surprise. The bonus is that Paul Cochrane is a really nice guy.

I was interested in it because I wanted chord clarity & more ability to control the gain at the low end & control the eq. Works perfectly for that, & makes a great clean boost.

To tell the truth Mark, I didn't check how well it cleans up, I'll give that a try later.

It is often referred to as a gritty OD, rather than a smooth OD.

For you tweakers, the op-amp is socketed so you can change them to your heart's delight. I haven't messed with the internal dip switches to try asymmetric clipping.

Yeah, Marnold that is most people's reference when they first hear of the pedal. It's called Timmy because it is derived from it's bigger brother the Tim pedal.

The Tim is a Monty Python reference. I believe it is Tim the Enchanter from the Quest for the Holy Grail, but I'll have to check the documentation that came with the pedal. You should have guessed as a Moose once bit your sister.

By the way, here is a stuffed Tim the Enchanter. If you step on him, he'll set a rabbit on you.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/wickedcoolstuff_1982_45030709

duhvoodooman
January 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM
The Tim is a Monty Python reference. I believe it is Tim the Enchanter from the Quest for the Holy Grail....
Coincidentally, I took the family to see Monty Python's Spamalot this past weekend at Proctor's Theatre in Schenectady. Good production and very funny, esp. if you're familiar with the movie.... :rotflmao: :AOK:

Robert
January 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Tot, have you tried DVM's ZYS and if so, how does the Timmy compare?

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Tot, have you tried DVM's ZYS and if so, how does the Timmy compare?
Nope, I haven't tried the Zonking Yellow Screamer. I didn't have the money at the time.

mark wein
February 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Anyone know of any "Tim" sound clips?

tot_Ou_tard
September 5th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Anyone know of any "Tim" sound clips? Funny you should ask (7 months ago)

Part 1:

2eEVjtOwEK8

Part 2:

GnEz8M94HlQ

Part 3:

FlcUeU_b28Y

Part 4:

DxJME1SBIp0

I've gotta say that I love the Timmy.

Godin Radiator -> Timmy -> Fender Champion 600 reissue

Good clean & dirty fun!

Tone2TheBone
September 5th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Wow another cool new thread...erm post I mean. heee Man I am so behind on cool stuff here. Nice pedal Timmy! :)

Spudman
September 5th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I certainly shouldn't have watched those demos.:thwap: :drool:

tot_Ou_tard
September 6th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I certainly shouldn't have watched those demos.:thwap: :drool:

The Timmy is basically just the OD section of the Tim, no boost, no effects loop. Cost is around $110, but you need to get yourself on the waiting list.
I forget how much the Tim is.

It's a great pedal for me as I live in the low-mid gain world & dislike pedals that heavily color the tone. The EQ works very well, just dial back the bass until it isn't farty or woofy & dial back the treble until the top is sweet.

You can use it as a clean boost by turning the gain off & the volume up.
I'm running mine at 18V to open it up even more.

aeolian
September 6th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I've heard a lot about the Timmy, almost all good. I'm generally not into pedals, but a year or so ago I bought a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and find that I like the sound of it for low level overdrive. I do have to point out I like it more with some guitars than with others.

I'll have to watch the Timmy videos when I have a few more minutes.