PDA

View Full Version : Black Magic Collab

sunvalleylaw
January 16th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Found this backer somewhere and have been messing around with it. I have a serious clam or two on this take, it is just a beginner's attempt at the basic melody, but here it is, good as it was going to get tonight. Sure is fun to jam around on! :R Someone hop in with me and fix this thing up!

http://www.box.net/shared/f73yek1wgg

Here is the clean backer:

http://www.box.net/shared/a9ftc0z288

ted s
January 16th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Right on Steve ! :AOK:
This stuff is helping me be inspired as well !
btw, what key is it ?

mrmudcat
January 16th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Oh this is freaking awesome!! Chase my oldest(13) has just started working on this recently and before he headed off this morning to school he said "find me a magic woman backing track" (in a typical teenage fasion:thwap: ). My reply was ill get right on it :whatever: Anyways check in, hit new posts bam!!!! Thanks Steve!! Good stuff on your part!!!!!!:master:

sunvalleylaw
January 16th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Glad to have been of service! Esp. for a family project. My instructor and I started working on this tune, and I felt the need to find a backer on it and googled around a bit. Lucked upon this one. Mess around on it with your boy and share back with us!

sunvalleylaw
January 16th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Right on Steve ! :AOK:
This stuff is helping me be inspired as well !
btw, what key is it ?

It is in Dm. On this I am playing the intro in first position. I watched a Carlos youtube vid last night and saw he was playing it further up the neck. It would be interesting also to see what happens if anyone wants to take the backer somewhere else other than the actual song if they are so moved. :)

Justaguyin_nc
January 16th, 2008, 09:13 AM
:bravo: Nice job Sun!!

I been enjoying this song a long time while learning..
was one of the first I tried to learn through tabs...
then once I learned it, I forgot it..lol..
great for us newbies to guitar!!

Now I just wet wank all over it..:rotflmao:

Such a fun track with a penatonic on d for me..
can get lost in it..
I had to join ya.. course..it's just wanking.. but its fun huh..

http://www.box.net/shared/y1qpilrksc

Still plenty of room..took it to 2:20..
:poke:

sunvalleylaw
January 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM
:bravo: Nice job Sun!!

I been enjoying this song a long time while learning..
was one of the first I tried to learn through tabs...
then once I learned it, I forgot it..lol..
great for us newbies to guitar!!

. . .

Such a fun track with a penatonic on d for me..
can get lost in it..
I had to join ya.. course..it's just wanking.. but its fun huh..

http://www.box.net/shared/y1qpilrksc

Still plenty of room..took it to 2:20..
:poke:

Exactly! easy pentatonic goofing around for us newbs, but a challenge for me to develop a good vibrato. I think Carlos's vibrato is the key to his sound. I'm not there yet. I downloaded it to my iPod and will check it out today. Off to court! Thanks so much for hopping in. I am going to try to get back to your latest one later this week.

SuperSwede
January 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Steve and Justa, good job! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

I got so inspired by your recordings that I just had to play along too, I hope you dont mind!

http://www.box.net/shared/mfh3ndqckc

Justaguyin_nc
January 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

And that is why he is known as the "SUPER" swede...

Excellent... really enjoyed it SS!!

SuperSwede
January 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Gosh.. thanks Justa! That comment will keep me warm the entire winter :)
I really enjoyed your take, I think that you have improved A LOT ! Keep it up (but dont forget to let us hear your sweet voice, your acoustic recordings are GREAT :) )

mrmudcat
January 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM
SUPERSWEETSWEDE!!!:master:

And also everyone else great job!!!!:rockon: :bravo: :beer:

duhvoodooman
January 16th, 2008, 01:24 PM
:reallymad: Damn!! They block Box.net here at work, and I really want to hear these!! One of my favorite Santana tunes....

sunvalleylaw
January 16th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Steve and Justa, good job! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

I got so inspired by your recordings that I just had to play along too, I hope you dont mind!

http://www.box.net/shared/mfh3ndqckc

Are you kidding me!? Mind, I am honored you hopped in with us. Thanks so much. I love your take. Uh, like I was trying to "say" something like you were saying. Your take helps me to get there. Loved it! It sings and rips at the same time!

ted s
January 16th, 2008, 02:33 PM
This is great, boy, lots of love for bt's lately.. these have been some great tracks. Where did you find this one Steve ?

sunvalleylaw
January 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I downloaded it (justa's take) to my iPod and will check it out today. Off to court! Thanks so much for hopping in.

Justa, I liked your take a lot! I liked the higher notes and registers you were hitting, and liked how you approached the melody, leaving space and doing it your own way, not necessarily following the original so closely. :bravo:

M29
January 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Sweet guys sweet indeed:rockon:

M29

sunvalleylaw
January 16th, 2008, 04:30 PM
This is great, boy, lots of love for bt's lately.. these have been some great tracks. Where did you find this one Steve ?

Here:

http://www.guitarchaos.com/showthread.php?t=209

seems like there are a a lot of backing tracks there. I just googled and popped it up.

Adrian30
January 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
Great job guys!

oldguy
January 16th, 2008, 07:20 PM
You guys all sounded great!:D :D :D
Sunvalley and Justa, you guys are steadily improving, and your playing is getting tastier all the time. SS certainly hasn't lost anything either, sounds awesome as always. Nice job, everyone!!!:bravo: :bravo:

Spudman
January 16th, 2008, 09:15 PM
:bravo: Great job everyone.

Jimi75
January 17th, 2008, 02:35 AM
It sounds great! I have enjoyed all your takes and they all suite the BT very well. I think you managed to be true to the original feel, but gave it your own chili!

Congrats! I love seeing how the BT collabs come together and more and more fretters jump on 'em.

:bravo:

PS.: Steve, you're getting better with every take my friend!

ted s
January 17th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I just took another uninterrupted listen front to back, nice job guys !
:AOK: :AOK: :AOK: - one for each of 'ya !

sunvalleylaw
January 17th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I just took another uninterrupted listen front to back, nice job guys !
:AOK: :AOK: :AOK: - one for each of 'ya !

Thanks Jimi and thanks Ted! Hey, the clean backer is there. You could always start it back up don'tcha know. :beer: :D

Justaguyin_nc
January 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks again guys...

and yes please!!! Start this again with another group!!

ted s
January 17th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I'll probably giv'r tomorrow ..

helliott
January 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Guys, you all sound terrific. I've been in a slump lately, so insanely busy at work and with the son's basketball schedule I've been remiss in the guitar department. But this has got me juiced a bit. I may take a stab tonight at the first part. Thanks all.

duhvoodooman
January 17th, 2008, 07:37 PM
These have been great! I wanted to take a whack at this classic, too, but didn't really feel like starting a new one--just wanted to noodle around over the main verse. So I cut three verses out of the middle of the BT with Audacity and recorded over that. Recorded using my LP Std and my Blues Junior. A bit of reverb is used throughout. Beyond that, the setup was:

Verses 1 & 3 - Bridge pickup, through my Phase90 clone and then my Rat clone with the gain at about two-thirds.

Verse 2 - Turned off the Phase 90 but left the Rat as is. Switched to the neck p'up with the treble rolled all the way off. Going for that EC "woman tone". The Rat has a nice sustain for that.

Linky-poo: http://www.box.net/shared/9dsq9n6ass

Justaguyin_nc
January 17th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Well Duh!! That got some Voodoo in it Man!!!

:bravo: :beer: :dude:

Enjoyed it DVM!

oldguy
January 17th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Nice job, Voodoo! That combination of your LP and Blues Junior sounded great!:bravo:

ted s
January 17th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Awesome Vood !

helliott
January 17th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Here's another take at the beginning of this cool BT. Hope others will jump in.
http://www.box.net/shared/vgsorfxgk4

oldguy
January 17th, 2008, 11:23 PM

Dude, was that your Line 6????????
Amazing sound, how did you do 'dat??????
Nice tone!!! The panning was cool, too!!:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
(I liked that, in case 'ya couldn't tell.):D :D :D

sunvalleylaw
January 17th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Awesome Vood !

Excellent DVM!! :bravo: :bravo: :AOK: :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
January 17th, 2008, 11:53 PM

Man, I love hearing all the different approaches to this classic song. Thanks Helliot for sharing your take and starting it up again. I loved it! :AOK: :AOK: :bravo: :bravo:

Justaguyin_nc
January 18th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Nice job Helliott... is that the same backing?? had a wild feel to it.. enjoyed your take alot!!:bravo: :rockon:

duhvoodooman
January 18th, 2008, 06:21 AM
SUH-WEET!! :AOK: :dude: Really enjoyed your take, helliot! A strong nod to the original, especially the lead in, but with your own tone and style. Well done!! :bravo:

A few details on your setup for that would be appreciated (nudge, nudge)....

ted s
January 18th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Great job kicking ace there H ! :master:

helliott
January 18th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed it. Sorry about the lack of info. I recall back when I was a kid learning this off Abraxas by dropping the needle, slowing the album down, then picking it up and doing it all over again about a gazillion times. When I was all done, it still sounded like a shadow of Carlos, and ever since I've just tried to do my own thing while respecting his genius.
Yes, this is the Flextone on a Modern Class A setting with a touch of flange and echo and lots of verb. No mid tone to speak of. Guitar's a PRS through the neck pickup.
I further tortured the poor signal with some compression and delay on the BR-1200 and added the kinda cheesey but retro panning.
It is the same BT, but because I like things to sound raw and live, I used a set of mastering tools on the Boss called Live Rock Band. Way beyond me what it does, but it ends up sounding more live and edgy sometimes.
Also, I couldn't get what I wanted with my usual mic positioning, so put the mic halfway down the room. I think it added sort of a big sound, but it's all relative.
Hey, who's next?

SuperSwede
January 19th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Excellent work DVM & Helliott! Just excellent! :)

oldguy
January 29th, 2008, 11:57 AM
OK, ten days is long enough. Helliott's a tough act to follow, but I told SVL I would.... (besides, this is too good a backer to quit on just yet.....):bravo: :bravo:

http://www.box.net/shared/d27r6m60w4

Next???:D :D

Justaguyin_nc
January 29th, 2008, 12:24 PM
ahhhh... so nice... gots ya playing thru the stereo.. I could hear santana in the wings saying "HEY I wish I sounded that good!!" nice job guys!!

sunvalleylaw
January 29th, 2008, 01:34 PM
OG, you never cease to amaze me with how you can take a piece and just give it your own thing. Very nice!! Your note selection really gives it a signature.

oldguy
January 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM
OG, you never cease to amaze me with you can take a piece and just give it your own thing. Very nice!! Your note selection really gives it a signature.

Well, thank you........ thing is......I only know 12 notes, so I'm bound to repeat myself, I guess that's "my" sound, until I learn some more......:thwap:
:D :D :D

SuperSwede
January 29th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Sweet recording Oldguy. I really dig your sound.

oldguy
January 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks very much, SuperSwede.
(You do know I steal riffs from you, Spudman, and Robert, right?) :confused:

:master: :master: :master:

SuperSwede
January 30th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks very much, SuperSwede.
(You do know I steal riffs from you, Spudman, and Robert, right?) :confused:

:master: :master: :master:

Steal all you want.. we probably took them from someone else anyway.. :beer:

helliott
January 30th, 2008, 10:14 PM
OG, here's the deal. You ain't followin nobody. You take the track and make it your own, and that's the plain truth. Lots of people just play it, and others will aim for a note for note thing, but you inject your completely own style, which covers some of the bases but is quite unique -- certainly moreso than my cover. So, keep burnin. And that's all.

sunvalleylaw
March 6th, 2008, 11:32 PM
My new instructor is teaching me some practical theory concerning leads over chord changes and a neat trick to sound good while jamming over a set of chords. Take the chord, figure out how to do it barred, then figure out what notes are being played in the Barre chord. Then, allowing yourself to use other notes in the relevant pentatonic scale during the transition, start and end the measure only on notes being played in that barre form of the chord.

Note that if you are following the form of the chord, notes that are Major notes, rather than notes in the minor pentatonic scale are being legal, and sound great! We (My teacher Chip and I) are using Black Magic Woman as a study piece, using the D minor, A minor, and G Minor chords involved. I have been practicing by my warm up, followed by starting the backer and playing rhythm chords with it, then figuring out how to play in this manner over the chords. Very interesting, and teaching me a lot.

Now the next part of my practice outline I am working on is learning the song, so I was searching out lessons on the song itself. Lesson time with Chip has been devoted so far to the practical theory, rather than rote learning the song. He figures I can figure that out on my own.

So I youtube search some lessons on BMW to get a jump start on some of the licks/leads and came up with this! He does not teach us the song either, but explains the theory behind the leads over the chords. It totally ties it all together. The leads are essentially F major scale, which is basically the same as D Minor scale over the chords. Now I can work toward stitching all these concepts together, using the chord tones and passing tones, and figure out my own leads in the flavor of, but not direct monkey see/monkey do copying, Carlos's performances. Cool!

Anyway, was just excited about this learning and hoped someone else might find it useful too. Enjoy an rock on brothers and sisters!

wHMZ7Mmy8tU

street music
March 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Ok, guys that was just SANTASTIC, OldGuy way to play that thing, SS you too man, heck you all were good, Congrats SunValley great playing and vocals too. Inspiration is what that is. I just hope to be able to do that well.:rockon:

Pickngrin
April 6th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I couldn't resist taking a stab at this....

http://www.box.net/shared/8b23l5bsws

sunvalleylaw
April 6th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Great P'nG'! Thanks for hopping in there!

Ok, guys that was just SANTASTIC, OldGuy way to play that thing, SS you too man, heck you all were good, Congrats SunValley great playing and vocals too. Inspiration is what that is. I just hope to be able to do that well.:rockon:

Street, thanks for the complement, but I did not sing. If you meant the vid embedded in my last post on this thread, that is a lesson I found, but not me. I posted my take earlier on in this thing. :)

Blaze
April 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I could' nt resist the temptation ,so, here s a try ..If somebody whishes to finish it , go ahead..Ain t got no time left, busy days ..

http://www.box.net/shared/4bcmzxb0gk

Ciao

blazes:dude:

Pickngrin
April 8th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I could' nt resist the temptation ,so, here s a try ..If somebody whishes to finish it , go ahead..Ain t got no time left, busy days ..

http://www.box.net/shared/4bcmzxb0gk

Ciao

blazes:dude:

That was hot... I really liked it

sunvalleylaw
April 8th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Nice Blazes!

SuperSwede
April 9th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah! Nice clip Blazes...