PDA

View Full Version : What overdrive plays nice with a Fender Blues Jr.?

Danzego
January 16th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I know there are a few guys with that amp around here and I'm looking to join the club some time this year. In the meantime, I might want to get a nice overdrive pedal that will work well with it (right now I'm playing through a Vox AD50VT).

What's an overdrive you've used or heard with that amp that gives it some good sounds? I'd be pairing it with a Fender Standard MIM and an Epi LP (both stock pups, neither one has particularly hot output, I don't think). I just want a good blues solo tone with it. I hate to say "oh, give me something that can make a nice Stevie Ray sound" but if you DO know of something that does, please.....share. :D

SuperSwede
January 16th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Tubescreamers usually sounds really good with Fender amps!

Also, the Tech21 Sansamp GT2 sounds fantastic with all amps :)

mrmudcat
January 16th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Agree with above for sure!!(modded T.S. 808)!
How about this keeley time machine?? The katana boost for nice cleans is also a great non coloring boost.Another preamp is the DOD 250 or ym308 a modded 250 (malmstten edition).

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=37

Tone2TheBone
January 16th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Duhvoodooman's Yellow Zonkin' Screamer. It's perfect with the Blues Jr.! Seriously.

The Bad Monkey is a good one too. It's got it's own raspy midrange throaty sound. You need a Jensen C12N speaker in the amp though to get near perfect Stevie Ray tones from it. Seriously. You will cry with this combination.

duhvoodooman
January 16th, 2008, 10:15 AM
A lot of people like the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver (especially modded), and I thought that the DigiTech Tone Driver that I had for a while was a good sounding and quite flexible overdrive pedal.

Adrian30
January 16th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Hey Danzego,
I'm trying to figure out the same. Here's what I have, so far (of course, take this as a very a subjective preference):

I like the Boss BD-2 quite a bit, but as long as I keep the gain not over 3 o'clock. For me it has been btw. 2 and 3. I'm happy with the tones that I'm getting: not too harsh, not too dull, and with good overall clarity. I have a stock BD-2 thinking about modding it. When I grow up, I want to be just like DVM!

The Ibanez TS9DX is much warmer and full-sounding, less coarse, but compared to BD-2 lacks a bit of that clarity! Anyway, I like it a lot, especially on the Turbo mode. This is my newest pedal and I need to spend more time with it, though.

Excuse my non-technical and amateurish description above.

I'm sure the above mentioned pedals by other, more experienced fretters should work great. :AOK:

markb
January 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM
See my sig. A TS808 works well too if you want a heavy mid boost.

LowEndWonder
January 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Boss OD-3