PDA

View Full Version : help needed, the best small practice amp!

Lev
January 17th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I've decided that I need a small practice amp. My wife is expecting our first child soon and I expect my days of crankin it LOUD are over for a while.

I'd also like the flexibility of been able to move it from room to room, & a headphone output so I don't wake the little one. I was considering a small tube amp like the Fender Super Champ but I still reckon that's be too load & besides I still have my HRDlx if ever I want some wattage.

So, I've narrowed my choice down to 3:

Fender G-Dec Junior
Roland MicroCube
Vox DA5.

Right now I'm leaning towards the G-Dec, it looks a bit more substantial than the other two and I'm sure it benefits from a larger speaker. The backing track stuff might be fun to mess with too. The draw back however is that EQ is limited to a single tone knob.

Anyone have experience with these amps, particularly the G-Dec? - I'm unlikely to get a chance to try any out so opinions are welcome.

ted s
January 17th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Hey Lev, have you thought about something like this ?

http://korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=PX4

Headphones out, stick it in your pocket.
I have one, it sounds very good through a set of headphones.
I'm sure there are other options that I'm not familiar with.

wingsdad
January 17th, 2008, 09:37 AM
No personal experience with the G-Dec other than a quick tryout in the store, but the DA5 & MicroCube are similar to each other.

I've got a MicroCube and had it's bigger brother, Cube30. This little thing is also limited to a single Tone knob for EQ, but between the amp models & (pre) Gain control, and using the tone & volume pots on your guitar, there's a whole lot of sonic range in the little guy. As far as the little 5" speaker goes, the amp actually sounds best (reproduces most accurately) thru headphones (the manual even admits it), which, with the baby around, you're gonna use most anyway, right? And that jack is actually a line-out. Connect from that to a set of powered monitors or system (like the kind you hook up to a computer, with a sub-woofer in the mix) and you've got instant wall-o-sound. It all adds up to being actually a useful DI device for recording, it that ever entered your sandbox.

As for jam-along, it's got an aux-in to plug in a cd, tape or rhythm box...so you wouldn't be limited to what's on-board.

Comes with AC adapter, but it works fine on 6 AA's, too, and that's portability. Loop the carrying handle thru your belt and walk around with it. You can do the same with the Vox, a direct competitor to the MicroCube.

Don't know if the other 2 have a tuner onboard, but the MicroCube sorta does...a tuning fork tone, that you can set to A440, or detune by either a half or whole step.

Plank_Spanker
January 17th, 2008, 09:38 AM
The PX-4 is a great sounding practice rig.......................and you won't disturb a soul when you're playing.

oldguy
January 17th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Anyone have experience with these amps, particularly the G-Dec? - I'm unlikely to get a chance to try any out so opinions are welcome.

Kiteman had one, or still has one. I think his 1st one quit, but he got a replacement from Sweetwater 'cuz he saved his receipt......(always a good idea).;)

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4329

abraxas
January 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Don't know about the Fender.

My daughter has the MicroCube. It's a jolly little thing. :AOK: They also make a new version with 4 (!!!) small speakers in it!!

The other guitarist in one of the bands I play has the Vox, as a bedroom practice amp. I've played through it a bit but not so much as to form a full opinion. My feeling is, though, that the Roland is a bit better.

Would you also look for a used Tech21 TM10? How much do these things go where you are?

Katastrophe
January 17th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Lev, congrats on the upcoming birth of the little one!

I'd go with the G-DEC. I played one in a Guitar Center recently and had a blast. The tones are pretty good, too.

Once the little one comes, there won't be a whole lot of time for playing. There won't be a whole lot of time for sleep, either. ;) Once the little one gets a little older, you'll find more time to play.

Enjoy fatherhood, man. That first year goes by in a flash!:D

Spudman
January 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM
There are some micro cube and Da5 clips on youtube. I'd do some exploring over there. Both sound pretty good to me.

markb
January 17th, 2008, 11:47 PM
The DA5 is a great practice tool. The Microcube is OK but I preferred the VOX's sounds. Its attenuator is really useful too, mine spends most of its time on the 1/2 watt setting for playing along with the hi-fi.

sunvalleylaw
January 17th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I was considering a vox sometime. It has a good range of sounds and I like the cheesegrater thing for throwing it in the trunk. Also, I just can't forget all those great sounds Robert got out of the larger Vox with the same or similar models.

Justaguyin_nc
January 18th, 2008, 12:37 AM
The G-dec sounds pretty good over on youtube.. but I have no experience with it..

The MicroCube I had was made a bit better than my DA5.. The cleans and JAzz tones sounded better in it..the high gain sounds better on the DA5

I still have my DA5 but with the cloth front.. still looks new after taking it to the mountains a few times...

The thing I like about both the MicroCube and DA5 is the very small size with Battery operation.. allows you to sit anyplace you wish.. with or without headphones..

I gave the MicroCube away.. cause I knew it would continue to work.. no other reason..

I will keep the DA5... cause its a very portable battery amp with good sounds..

with those three..I think your gonna find anyone of them will work..

Algonquin
January 18th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I've played the Micro Cube and was impressed with what you get, but there haven't been too many YouTube clips that showcased what it sounded like IMHO. You seem to get a lot of Metal Riffs and whatnot... you know, kids showing off their best licks etc.

Here is probably my favourite clip of the Micro Cube out there.

ZMl6_8LItIc

Lev
January 18th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks guys - after much youtube and harmony central surfing I decided to order a G-Dec Junior. Battery operation wasn't a big factor for me, I just want something that's light enough to move from room to room. The larger speaker was a plus for the G-Dec too and I'm a fender kinda guy so I was just attracted to it like a moth to flame!

Anyway I should have it next week so I'll post a review and maybe a clip or two. :rockon:

Justaguyin_nc
January 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I think your gonna have a blast with it.. gets great reviews!
Congrats!!

Sblack
January 27th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys - after much youtube and harmony central surfing I decided to order a G-Dec Junior. Battery operation wasn't a big factor for me, I just want something that's light enough to move from room to room. The larger speaker was a plus for the G-Dec too and I'm a fender kinda guy so I was just attracted to it like a moth to flame!

Anyway I should have it next week so I'll post a review and maybe a clip or two. :rockon:
Hey, Lev.

I ordered a G-DEC Junior as well. I was sold on the tones I heard and the select-and-go jam settings this little thing offers. I detest LCD screens and menus, so the Junior was a no brainer when I was looking for a looper/backing track practice amp. Mine is being shipped to my house, and I should get in a few days.

I am interested in hearing your impressions on this amp.

Lev
January 28th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Hey, Lev.

I ordered a G-DEC Junior as well. I was sold on the tones I heard and the select-and-go jam settings this little thing offers. I detest LCD screens and menus, so the Junior was a no brainer when I was looking for a looper/backing track practice amp. Mine is being shipped to my house, and I should get in a few days.

I am interested in hearing your impressions on this amp.

I got it a couple of days ago and I'm really impressed. I can pretty much dial up any tone I want in about 5 secs. I haven't spent enough time to give a full review because we just moved house last week (nightmare!!!! :thwap: ). But I'll post a full review as soon as I can get a couple of free hours together.

SuperSwede
January 28th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Its cool that you can have these kind of cool sounding amps for next to nothing these days... Low cost practice amps that actually sounded good didnt even exist 10-15 years ago.

LowEndWonder
January 28th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I know you said your looking for a practice amp, but you might want to consider
the Epiphone Valve Jr. Half Stack? 5 watts of class A power for $249.00.
http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/full/Epiphone/633167913267270791.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/)

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I know you said your looking for a practice amp, but you might want to consider
the Epiphone Valve Jr. Half Stack? 5 watts of class A power for $249.00.
http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/full/Epiphone/633167913267270791.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/)
that's a cool setup but even 5 tube watts gets loud when you crank it to that sweet spot....

ww