PDA

View Full Version : Is cloned meat real?

Tone2TheBone
January 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Is meat that comes from a cloned cow real? Would you eat it? Wouldn't it be fake?

Robert
January 17th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I'd eat it. Meat is meat.

markb
January 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Genetically identical means identical in all respects. Think of identical twins, which is the real one?

Tone2TheBone
January 17th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I guess I'm paranoid that people who clone living things might screw up somewhere and have something missing in the clone that is sorta vital. "OH shoot...we forgot to add this important aspect of the original..."

Born2Run
January 17th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I'd eat it. If they cloned a milkshake I'd eat that too. And if they cloned a twinkie I'd eat that too. Oh wait, they've been cloning twinkies for generations now.

Radioboy950
January 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I suppose I'd consider it real, but I'm not so sure I'd consume it by choice, based on what it takes to produce it.

oldguy
January 17th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Someone told me lots of cloning attempts produced deformed weak animals that were stillborn or died right after birth when cloning was first introduced. If that's true, I don't think it would do anything for my appetite, if I knew what I was eating....:puke:

Tone2TheBone
January 17th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Someone told me lots of cloning attempts produced deformed weak animals that were stillborn or died right after birth when cloning was first introduced. If that's true, I don't think it would do anything for my appetite, if I knew what I was eating....:puke:

Yeah you see there...that's what I was thinking. Give me a natural born real cow anyday. Or fish for that matter. Maybe a chicken or 2. I don't think I could in good conscience eat something that was cloned it just creeps me out too much bleck.

Plank_Spanker
January 17th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Beef ala Soylent Green? :D

just strum
January 17th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Genetically identical means identical in all respects. Think of identical twins, which is the real one?

The one on the left.

oldguy
January 17th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Well, I did say if it's true, Tone. I don't know that it is, but I don't think I'd want to eat a natural born deformed animal, either. There's already enough unnatural sh!t fed, shot, and pumped into the food supply chain.....
I've seen some chickens at the grocery store I've passed on buying, too.:confused:

Guitar Gal
January 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I'm not sure how governmental regulations are handled in other countries, but personally, I don't like much of anything that the good ol' boys in Washington get their grubby mitts on :reallymad: Especially if it involves making lots of $$ for certain interest groups.....and ya'll know those groups ain't lookin' out for the little guy (or gal)......or care much if some unknown disease, bacterial infection, or genetic mutation of some kind just happens to get into that cloned meat.......

Just because we CAN do something, doesn't mean we SHOULD do it......

My .02

GG
:dude:

oldguy
January 17th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure how governmental regulations are handled in other countries, but personally, I don't like much of anything that the good ol' boys in Washington get their grubby mitts on :reallymad: Especially if it involves making lots of $$ for certain interest groups.....and ya'll know those groups ain't lookin' out for the little guy (or gal)......or care much if some unknown disease, bacterial infection, or genetic mutation of some kind just happens to get into that cloned meat.......

Just because we CAN do something, doesn't mean we SHOULD do it......

My .02

GG
:dude:
:bravo: :bravo:
:beer:
:AOK:

just strum
January 17th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Meat you buy at the store is so loaded with chemicals from the animals feed and what is added after slaughter (so I've been told), I don't know how much worse off one would be by eating cloned meat. At least you would know that the next piece of meat was no different then the previous piece.

Anyone that has had the opportunity to either live or stay on a farm will tell you the big difference in taste. Back when I was in my early 20's I stayed on a farm for a few weeks and I've never had food as good at those few weeks.

luvmyshiner
January 17th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Ditto GG. If the government can find a way to screw something up . . . they will.

Um, sorry Robert, that's not meant to be a political statement. I detest all politicians equally.

Robert
January 17th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Did anyone see "Fast Food Nation"? Some unpleasant parts to that movie....

Adrian30
January 17th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I would eat it, though I'm not sure it'll happen any time soon. Natural reproduction is more cost effective, especially the "natural reproduction" that relies on growth hormones.:mad: :reallymad: :flamemad:

Justaguyin_nc
January 17th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I'll eat it...

So everyone raise their hands, that ask their butcher exactly where did this meat come from...

We don't care..we just eat and eat..

heck, I know of species that will take the unborn eggs out from under the mother.. crate it up and eat it every morning.. lets not try to candy coat a thing...lol

Ever see cattle at a slaughter? either a nail is driven thru the brain so you can enjoy that steak ... or the young get their throat cut and bleed to death so someone can bless it while its dieing...

Devils advocate..sorry..

Eat more people.. leave the animals alone!!

just strum
January 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Suddenly I have a hankering for a piece of lettuce and a carrot.

oldguy
January 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM
heck, I know of species that will take the unborn eggs out from under the mother.. crate it up and eat it every morning.. lets not try to candy coat a thing...lol

I don't (wouldn't) eat deformed ones.......:pancake:

luvmyshiner
January 17th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Suddenly I have a hankering for a piece of lettuce and a carrot.

Eeeewwwwww.:messedup: You haven't lived till you've had calf fries brother. And no . . . you don't wanna know what part of the calf they call a "fry".:rotflmao:

Spudman
January 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Beef ala Soylent Green? :D

Well it wouldn't exactly be beef if it was Soylent Green now. That's why I went vegan for 6 months right after the tsunami.

Spudman
January 17th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Eat more people.. leave the animals alone!!

Yea! We have a winner. Viva la Soylent Green.:pancake: I'll bet them Mericans are tender.

oldguy
January 17th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Taste like mayonaisse???:confused:

Justaguyin_nc
January 18th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Yea! We have a winner. Viva la Soylent Green.:pancake: I'll bet them Mericans are tender.

"They" say we taste like pork... but who are "they"... and hopefully.."they" are far away..

I doubt if a clone animal really would be any different.. why should it be? And the deformed ones...well, they will be in pieces in the store... thats pretty deformed already...

oldguy
January 18th, 2008, 01:16 AM
And the deformed ones...well, they will be in pieces in the store... thats pretty deformed already...

That's not the deformed ones.....that's the stuff they scrape off the concrete floor with a flat steel scoop shovel.....everybody loves hot dogsl
The deformed ones still have enough solid chunks of meat for pot pies, canned soup, meatballs, spam,frozen pizzas, pizza rolls, mini tacos, white castle type mini burgers, ohhhh, maybe that IS the deformed ones.....
I'm gettin' hungry, I gotta throw somethin' in the oven........

Bloozcat
January 18th, 2008, 07:16 AM
In my Data voice:

I do not understand how this would differ from food produced by the ships replicator. If the molecules of the cloned meat are the same as the original, would it not be the same?

;)

Tone2TheBone
January 18th, 2008, 09:39 AM
In my Data voice:

I do not understand how this would differ from food produced by the ships replicator. If the molecules of the cloned meat are the same as the original, would it not be the same?

;)

hahahaha Classic!

Does anyone know if they clone vegetables yet? :eek:

Tone2TheBone
June 3rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
Speaking of Soylent Green I've got to see this masterpiece. Nothing like creepy early 70s movies...

ohLaBIB61Ic&NR=1

thearabianmage
June 3rd, 2008, 10:42 AM
Charlton Heston! Haha!

'Get your hands off me you damned dirty ape!!!'

Not unless you tell me the secret to Soylent Green, Charlie-boy.

'You maniacs!'