PDA

View Full Version : Area '67s?

marnold
January 17th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Grrr. Just when I think I made a pup decision, I have to visit TheGearPage. A guitarist visiting that site is like a crackhead visiting www.freecrackhere.com Anyway, Harry Jacobson on there gets Dimarzio pups before they are released. I heard Area 58/61 clips before you could buy them. Now he says there is a new one that should be coming out this month called "Area 67". He describes it as being glassier and fuller. The implication in the name is that it is also more--dare I say it--Hendrixy.

Having said that, today I began leaning back towards the Area 61's for my Floyd. I've a feeling I'm going to drive myself insane with this until I finally make a decision and buy something.

Robert
January 17th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Get those Area '61s before you make us go insane too! :eek: :beer:

oldguy
January 17th, 2008, 11:17 PM

++++1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,!!!!!!!! :bravo: :bravo: :D :D

marnold
January 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Hehe. What's the fun in going mad if I can't drag a group of people along with me for the ride?

Having said that, as someone more eloquently put it on the FDP forums recently, buying aftermarket pickups has to be the single most frustrating thing that you can do. Everybody has an opinion as to what is best (No noiseless is good noiseless! I'd never use anything but noiseless! Lace sound more like true single coils than the Dimarzio Areas! No they don't! I talked with the reanimated corpse of Leo Fender and got his precise scatter-winding technique! Liar!).

Of course, no one has my guitar and my amp to say nothing of what's left of my hands. It's almost impossible to play ANY guitar with the pickups that you're looking for. Even though the Lace and Dimarzio aren't anywhere near as expensive as Bardens, they are expensive enough that I can't really afford to make a mistake (although via the miracle of eBay, buyer's remorse can be somewhat mitigated). Plus I tend to have an over-analytical personality, if you haven't figured that one out yet.

Thank God that I really like my Fender stock, especially the somewhat-maligned Atomic II humbucker.

Tone2TheBone
January 18th, 2008, 09:25 AM
This sounds like what I do to Duhvoodooman. Poor dude.

I'm the exact same way Marnold. Go with your gut instinct on this.

duhvoodooman
January 18th, 2008, 09:46 AM
This sounds like what I do to Duhvoodooman. Poor dude.
This is all part of my master plan to get Tone feeling so guilty about the hell he puts me through on every buying decision that he'll finally just give his Marshall Jubilee to me as an act of penance.... :D

Tone2TheBone
January 18th, 2008, 09:54 AM
This is all part of my master plan to get Tone feeling so guilty about the hell he puts me through on every buying decision that he'll finally just give his Marshall Jubilee to me as an act of penance.... :D

:D I've about permanently anchored that amp to the bedroom floor dude. It ain't goin' nowhere. ;)

Robert
January 18th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Just get the DiMarzio's, Marnold. Really. You'll be happy. If you are not happy, I'll buy them from you! How about that?

oldguy
January 18th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Hehe. What's the fun in going mad if I can't drag a group of people along with me for the ride?

Everybody has an opinion as to what is best (No noiseless is good noiseless! I'd never use anything but noiseless! Lace sound more like true single coils than the Dimarzio Areas! No they don't! I talked with the reanimated corpse of Leo Fender and got his precise scatter-winding technique! Liar!).

Well, sounds like you've got us figured out, if not the pickups (yet).:rotflmao:
Keep digging for info, Marnold, you'll make the right decision in the end.

Just don't be like me.......

The 3 stages of awareness as applied to gear........

1. This is absolutely the best buy I ever made!! What a great deal!! Sounds perfect, just what I've been looking for!!:bravo:

2. What the he!! did I spend that money on this thing for??? I'm gonna need that money for something else!!! Like that funny sound the car's been making...I wonder if that's the transmission???
I shouldn't have bought this...come to think of it, it's not that much different than my old one, really.:whatever:

3. It is what it is, it does what it should, I didn't really need it, I just wanted it, and the next time I start that nonsense I'll just...............
Hey!! When did they come out with THOSE!!! Cool!!:master:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

marnold
January 18th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I'm the exact same way Marnold. Go with your gut instinct on this.
My problem is now that my snowthrower slipped a belt or something so I had to shovel the stuff the plow put in my driveway by hand, launching it on top of/over a 5 foot mound that's already there. I think my guts are still out there somewhere. I may need a "helpful groin device" (tm).

Just get the DiMarzio's, Marnold. Really. You'll be happy. If you are not happy, I'll buy them from you! How about that?
Boy, you must REALLY be sick of hearing me prattle on about all of this. I can't even make a Canadian-exchange-rate joke about this!

marnold
January 18th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Just to let you know I called the local shoppe today, but the owner/orderer is in CA at NAMM until Monday. I'll call again and ask him about the Area 61s again and possibly about the Lace.