PDA

View Full Version : The days of the month

Tone2TheBone
January 18th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Someone's gotta know. Who decided that the 1st was going to be st while the 2nd was going to be nd? Why isn't the 26th pronounced the 26st? Or the 22nd 22st? Granted you can't correctly pronounce the 24rd the right way so I guess someone invented the correct way to say them...but where did that come from?

just strum
January 18th, 2008, 11:20 AM
What exactly were you doing when this one entered your mind?

Tone2TheBone
January 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM

I was updating a schedule of events on a website, cutting and pasting previous dates then manually typing in the corrected dates. That's what made me think of this.

duhvoodooman
January 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
You were lucky this time, Strum, but henceforth, please refrain from delving into the workings of the T2TB mind. This is a dark and foreboding area, beyond the illuminating powers of modern science. "That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Tone-light Zone...." ;) :rotflmao:

oldguy
January 18th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Someone's gotta know. Who decided that the 1st was going to be st while the 2nd was going to be nd? Why isn't the 26th pronounced the 26st? Or the 22nd 22st? Granted you can't correctly pronounce the 24rd the right way so I guess someone invented the correct way to say them...but where did that come from?

It just carried on down from the way they counted their kids before calendars were invented.......... that's our first child, that's our second, our third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth, eleventh........ y'know, like that.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Bloozcat
January 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Why is a guitar a guitar and not a ukulele?

Why is a tree a tree instead of a rock?

Because someone named them these things and everyone else agreed to call them the same thing.

PAPPY
January 18th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Shucks, I took shorthand in school so I know the answer to this question.

Tone2TheBone
January 19th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Come on you guys those answers are too easy! hahaha