PDA

View Full Version : GAS up in smoke

tjcurtin1
January 19th, 2008, 08:57 AM
So, I've been quietly saving up for a new acoustic, and so far I've been able to keep the car from finding out about it. However, on our way to see Jorma Kaukonen last night, my brother said, "Hey, you need to have some work done on this car!", in reference to a distinct rattle from the front struts.... I had managed not to 'notice' this up till then, through a mighty effort of blocking. But then - surprise attack! - the furnace got wind of my plans and stuck me up to the tune of $600.

And, yes, as you may have already guessed, it's a GAS furnace.....:( :flamemad:

Robert
January 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Ouch Ted.... that hurts. We send GAS thoughts your way.

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, someone told an idiot that I really, really wanted a new guitar.

I just got hit with a deductable because this idiot hit my car & didn't leave a message.

oldguy
January 19th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Yep, Murphy's law at work. Man, that sucks!!:mad: :mad:

just strum
January 19th, 2008, 09:35 AM
We had a furnace problem a couple of weeks ago, but we had some good fate on our side, my wife purchased "appliance insurance" back in September and our out of pocket cost for the furnace repair came to $60. As for the car, turn up the radio, it always works for me.:D

marnold
January 19th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I hear that. I had to sink $400 into my car rather unexpectedly because of a leaking oil pan and a front driver's-side sway bar. This on top of the ~$300 I spent on tires earlier in the fall. We had furnace problems last winter. Turns out a short in the line to the thermostat was causing a transformer to blow. Thankfully, the furnace itself was fine and the transformer was cheap (and I know a guy who can fix it . . .)

Since it's -11F with a -35F windchill out right now, having a furnace is A Good Thing.

just strum
January 19th, 2008, 09:44 AM
...having a furnace is A Good Thing.

Us folks up north can add that to the "What Makes You Happy" thread - I'm with you 100% on that one.

Katastrophe
January 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Yep, I feel yer pain there, tj. Sewer line backed up in November, and we had to get a $1500.00 loan to replace the line from the house to the street. Dishwasher went kaput, and we need to get a new one. Just ran up the credit card for a $300.00 charge for new tires. I got sick and had to go to the hospital for dehydration in October, my wife had to go for a migraine in November, and my daughter caught a stomach virus in December that meant a trip to the ER and to the doctor (worried us silly, but she's better now). Our heater went out in November (bad relay switch) that cost $200.00, mostly in labor, to repair.

Emergencies happen, my friend. I know it has got to be frustrating for you. The good news is that at least you were able to fix the furnace... I hope some good GAS funds will head your way for a new acoustic, and soon!:D

tjcurtin1
January 19th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I appreciate the sympathy, but I was really writing for the laughs, figuring that it would resonate with some of us... No that I'm HAPPY about it, but with the 'happiness' thread in mind, I realize that if this is one of my biggest complaints, I'm ahead of 99.99% of the rest of my fellow inhabitants of the planet!

tjcurtin1
January 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Yikes, Katastrophe! Now I see why you picked the user name you did! I wish you better things in the year ahead.

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2008, 12:37 PM
No kidding, YOUCH Kat!

Great attitude, though! That makes all the difference.