PDA

View Full Version : Video's from Online Sites with free software.

Justaguyin_nc
March 22nd, 2006, 01:03 PM
I guess this is a gray scale area... but available to do... I sometimes run across a site that has a movie clip and instead of bookmarking the site to find the video gone later... I will just grab the video.. sometimes this option is not available so a solution to be found is just screen capture the video as it plays... Recently Turner Classic Movies made a Preview of the month Video with "Cake" playing "I will Survive"... I love their take on it... sooo... I turned on the CamStudio Software that is freely available online and captured the Video to watch at will.... CamStudio is not available anymore from the original developer, because he sold the product to Macromedia, but the old, free version is still available on the net. Version 2.0 is fully functional, then there is version 2.1 which doesn't have any new features, it only requires registration via mail. So, 2.0 is 100% fine if not better. There are many sites that still carry this wonderful software.

2.0 can be found here as one site: http://www.majorgeeks.com/CamStudio_d4646.html

Not only is this post for the purpose to make you aware of the software but also to explain a feature in Windows Media Player that must be changed to allow the capture of the Videos and also Screen Capture Pictures of Video for that matter....

Load up Windows Media Player..
Right Click on the top bar to get a pulldown window...
goto Tools/Options...
When the next popup comes up Pick the Performance tab and then Advanced. UNCHECK Use Overlays under Video Acceleration and DVD video then press OK...
You can now capture Video from the player with Camstudio...
Find the Video you wish to capture and then
with CamStudio there is a Region setting, Use Fixed Region and press the Select button... this allows you to drag/adjust to the size window of the Video..
press record..
play the video and you now have an AVI of the video...
You have options of Codecs under Video Options... Microsoft Video 1 Should do the Job fine for you.. The quality can be pretty good..

Under Audio Options Just use the Audio From Speakers.. works well also.

As for the Video that made me think others might like this software for their own private purpose.. Checkout the Video here: http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/multimedia/featuredmovieclips/ and press the link to
March 2006 This Month promo for TCM a rather neat little video of I will Survive by Cake.

Robert
March 22nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Just don't steal my videos from my website and put them on some other website, please!

Tim
March 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
We would not think of doing such a nasty deed. HE HE.

Robert - Most of your videos can be saved already as they are posted. No specail program is needed. I do save them to my computer for home study purposes so I do not have to go on the interent all the time. I hope that is OK with you? If not let me know and I will delete them. After all they belong to you.

Justaguyin_nc
March 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Oops... Hmmm... you changed formats there Robert? Use to be able to download the videos.. sorry... maybe this information should not be here... I always wondered why the heck people didn't have links to their files? Making it more available offline and saving bandwidth for the host of the files... I guess thats the option of the host... I think I would just add in a banner ad to the website it came from at the bottom of the videos... much harder to take a video and abuse it that way without giving due credits... as for crappiest videos...hmm.. havent seen you make a crappy one yet Robert... and doubt I ever will...

Robert
March 22nd, 2006, 02:56 PM
No problem if you download my videos - just don't put them on other websites.

I guess I am getting paranoid now that I saw my shredding joke published on youtube.com ...

Even if I add in text in the video, it is easy to edit out with Movie Maker....

Justaguyin_nc
March 22nd, 2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah, For every action there is a reaction... could always watermark them through the center if you need them to be propriety.. maybe with a dim web address... just a thought.. You mean someone else put your video on youtube? now that aint right... nor the idea of why I mentioned this software.. I wouldn't re-distribute any.. or abuse it.. ofcourse the comedy clips I get in emails I do pass on.. :)

Tim
March 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM
I too thought Robert put his own clip on "youtube". Nothing is safe these days.