PDA

View Full Version : Here I go again

VSTAR
January 19th, 2008, 10:58 PM
As I told you around Christmas as I joined the forum and decided to give the band gig another whirl. Well next Saturday is our first gig , at a small Ice House here in Houston on the east side. Houston is a musicians paradise not bragging as great musicians but just so many .When you play in Houston you never know who will show up. When I first moved to Texas I played in a band and one night we covered an old Roy Head song ( Treat Her Right ) at break Roy Head walked up and shook our hands. We will have had three weeks together never playing together before , but thats life. This first show is gonna be so damn diverse nobody will ever be able to label this band . Some Etta James , Santana , I get to play some slide on Sweet Home Chicago ( Foghat style ) The hardest thing is every time I play with new folks someone always changes the songs key for a singer . We have a lot of ground to cover this week . The band will be known as ( RBD ) Rox Z And The Boodogs , a little bit of Cajun slang . The goal is to play at the big Oilfield Party in April . I have played at the Houston Livestock show And Rodeo for Chevron and that is big bucks . The oilfield party is two days of music eating and partying with over 50,000 people . This is a party all the Oilfield companies throw to celebrate and donate to the Houston food pantry. It is a rush to play at this gig and before I die I will play it. So it is forward march !!!

tot_Ou_tard
January 20th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Yow VSTAR, that sounds great! Good luck.

Can you explain the cajun slang?

Rox Z is proabably Roxy, but I got nothin' beyond that except that it is likely to be a sexual reference.

just strum
January 20th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Ca c'est bon!

:AOK: :AOK: :AOK:

warren0728
January 20th, 2008, 09:29 AM
cool vstar....break a leg....not a string! :rockon:

ww :greenguitar:

fastfoot
January 21st, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hey VSTAR,

Good luck on the gig. Yes, Houston has a great music scene. I used to live in Sugarland for 8yrs. I miss the excitement and wish that I took more advantage while I still lived there.

fastfoot

sunvalleylaw
January 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
Sounds great Vstar! Have a great time!

luvmyshiner
January 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
Wow that does sound cool Vstar. My son lives in Houston, I may have to give him a heads up.

Swampy
January 21st, 2008, 07:38 PM
Congrats VSTAR! You don't mess around do ya? Musicians version of 0-60 in 5 seconds! :AOK: Which Ice House exactly will you be at?

VSTAR
January 21st, 2008, 09:36 PM
We will be playing the Safari Club on West Little York and the HardyToll Road. Anyone who knows Houston understands this is a neighborhood you don't want to get lost in. I have never been to this Ice House so I can't personally say anything about it. This gig will be one step above a train wreck . But you always have to pay your dues with a new band. luvmyshiner , when you lived in Houston did you ever see Scott McGill or to us Houstonions THE Scott Mcgill. That guy has to be one of the best guitar players I have ever seen. When he does his opus I just want to put my guitar away and never play again. He is incredible I have never seen anything like him .

luvmyshiner
January 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Hey Vstar, sorry brother I've never lived in Houston. Been in Waco since '82. My son moved there after he graduated from Baylor. He's a software engineer for a company called Texas Memory Systems Inc.

Now I do have an ex-wife who's family lives in the Houston area, you'll understand if we aren't particularly close anymore.:rotflmao: But I'll try to check out THE Scott McGill and see if I can find some clips. Thanks for the heads up.:AOK:

Brian Krashpad
January 23rd, 2008, 07:42 AM
Sounds cool! I'd love to play for a big crowd some day. I've played big stages but not to big crowds. ;)

Break a leg!

Bucks Owin
January 23rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
Met Roy Head huh?!? That's cool!

A band I was in decades ago used to do "Treat Her Right" from Roy Buchanan's "2nd Album". Great old song with great lead break....

Dennis

notalentbum
January 27th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Greetings all.
I see where V Star's band will be playing a lot of different stuff. My GAS goal is to play a lot of different stuff, too, but in a different way. I need the advice of this group. I can barely play 5 chords. I am trying to learn between real life and turning 50. I have a bad acquisition habit. I like hollow and semi hollow guitars.
I have these:
O Schmidt OE 40, OS OE 30 (Delta King)
Epiphone Dot Studio
Ibanez w/ Trem ( can't remember number)
Jay Turser 133
Jay turser LP-sized HB ( don't know the number)
Jay Turser SM ( 3 humbuckers , big jazz box style body)
A couple of thinline MIJ HB electrics probably from Woolworth's
A couple of those Vietnamese inlaid 335 style ones you see on eBay
A ton of other junk, but mostly solid

OK, so I know it ain;t the arrow, it's the indian, but does anyone have an opinion on the utility of getting a Jay Turser Cleopatra or maybe stretching for a Gretsch 5129? Or should I quit buying and just practice?

I don't have the ability to put pictures up. Sorry.

Any practical comparisons among the various hollow and semi hollow guitars in the $500 and under range ( used or now) would be mast appreciated. Thanks
Notalentbum

ted s
January 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM
A healthy mixture of practice and acquisition can't hurt. :AOK:
After all, you GOTTA feed the fire !