PDA

View Full Version : Build your own guitar ?

ted s
January 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while, more so the past few days cooped up with a cold. I am interested in a hardtail strat or a standard tele.
I know there are Saga and Grizzly kits, but I'm not interested in getting a bunch of crap electronics that would never be used or questionable woods.
What about buying a quality finished neck and unfinished body ?
What about buying a pawn shop cheapy as a donor ?
I don't have the tools to actually make a body from scratch but I do have access to them.

Anyone else gone through this ? I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

thanks

Ted

pie_man_25
January 20th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I've went through this also, I got a saga strat kit, and please, don't put it down, in spite of the crappy ten-piece basswood body, and the crappy tuners, everything works great, just put some cash on good tuners, and maybe some good pickups and an alder or your prefered tonewood body an you've got a working guitar. yoiu could also try going for a WD music kit, about $400, and a pre-finished body and everything is top-notch, you can find them here:

www.wdmusic.com.

once again, these ones are premium quality.

ted s
January 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks Pie, good to know you have good things to say about the Saga kit. I may go that route as a first.
Thanks for the tips.

robert43
January 21st, 2008, 06:48 AM
I got my new bass neck from Rondo a SX its well finished for the value.
My Jazz bass is made via ebay & others Body ebay Eden fairly good & right price
Tunners Wilkson are good value again ebay
Bridge locally ( no name ) ok I would buy it again thinking of relacing bridge at GFS
Pickups GFS very good value not as good as S&D etc but for the price good value
Thing I like about is you can do what you want / finish etc
I can recommend a Danish oil finish if you are not that ggod at painting all you do is put on wait 10 mins rub off 8 coats in 4 days
I would recommend if you did this finish put on Minmax rub on poly 6 coats 2 a day . Nice finish & very durable
Electronic if you can do it take it to some one only 1/2 dozen wires to solder
End of the day you can tell people you made it & you will be suprise how many people like it
I have had 2 offers to build parts bass/ guitar from people I might take them upfor some thing to do
Any way best of luck

ted s
January 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the tips Rob43, I just saw the pic of your bass, looks GREAT !
Now I'm thinking rather than a build for a first, maybe a re-finish for starters.
Pick up a beater, don't care about the electrics or finish, as long as the body is decent, could be scratched and dented for that matter.

robert43
January 21st, 2008, 07:52 AM
Thats a good idea my 1st play around was a old bass at a grage sale for $5 thought oh well its no good it can become a wall hanger or if I stuffed it up total I will brun it:bravo:

Bloozcat
January 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Here's an site you might want to check out if you're looking for excellent quality bodies and necks for a good price.

http://www.guitar-alley.com/servlet/StoreFront

B. Hefner is not just licensed by Fender, but makes bodies and necks for Fender as well. The downside to ordering from this site, is that in order to get a body for $119.99 or a neck for $129.99, you'll have to wait about 5-6 weeks to get them. Great for long range planning, but not too good if you gotta have it now. You can get them quicker from this manufacturer, but it'll cost a lot more.

Warmoth and USA Custom Guitars make great quality bodies and necks as well, but they're much pricier than B. Hefner's Guitar Alley.

A couple of good books I'd recommend before getting started:

Guitar Player Repair Guide, by Dan Erlewine
This book will give you all the information you'll need to assemble a solid body electric guitar from pre-made components. It's like a must have book for general guitar repairs and set up too.

Guitar Refinishing Step-By-Step, by Dan Erlewine & Don MacRostie
Great guide for a beginning guitar finisher.

Let me know if you do plan to go ahead with a build of your own, Ted. I'd be happy to share the sources I use for the parts 'n pieces you'll need to put one together...without breaking the bank...;)

ponticat
January 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Here are two more book suggestions:

Make Your Own Electric Guitar, by Melvyn Hiscock

Building Electric Guitars, by Martin Koch

ted s
January 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks Blooz and Pontcat,
.. oh so many wannadoo's

pie_man_25
January 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks Blooz and Pontcat,
.. oh so many wannadoo's

...the GAS is strong in this one.... you will learn well from this experience.....

Sblack
January 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Try a Carvin Bolt Kit. I built two in the past, and they are second to none -- high quality and still reasonably priced. They are priced at about $400+ now, but when I built my kits they were about $300.00.

markb
January 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM
For lots of info for self builds, try the Tele-Tech section of www.tdpri.com. A search there on 'partscaster' or similar would be useful.

The Squier 51 modder's forum is full of useful stuff for the builder/tinkerer too. I've lost the link but google'll get you there.

ted s
January 25th, 2008, 05:58 PM
thanks guys

marnold
January 25th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Try a Carvin Bolt Kit. I built two in the past, and they are second to none -- high quality and still reasonably priced. They are priced at about $400+ now, but when I built my kits they were about $300.00.
I've been looking at those for a long time but never did anything about it. They claim it is "no soldering", although I don't know how they connect the jack hot and ground. When I was considering that, I was planning on going with their black paint job, an HSS configuration, black pearloid pickguard, and a bird's eye maple neck. Would be sexy, no?

ted s
January 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM
For those that have made there own body, what kind of characteristics/qualities would you look for in a router ?
Anyone used a StewMac neck ?

notalentbum
January 27th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Hi Ted,
First thanks for enabling my GAS on another thread.

Do you know the story of George Washington's original hatchet, on display somewhere? They had replaced the handle a couple of times and the head once.

If you start with a cheapie and take off everything crappy, you may find yourself with nothing left, but you may find that the neck and body of most strat knockoffs are decent. Painting is easy enough and there are people far away ( bruce wei on eBay) who will inlay your name on a cover for the back.

I'd start with a Squier beater and take the screwdriver and sander to it. If you don't like what is revealed, then investigate one of those nicer bodies.

Best of luck,
NoTalentBum
(free advice worth 85% of what it costs)

sumitomo
January 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hi,I have a Warmoth Tele and a Saga LP,the wood quality of Warmoth is great but I would go for stainless frets as mine wore out quickly compared to my Strat and the Saga it makes a nice slide rig once you change the cheap pups and pots.Like the saying goes ya get what ya paid for.Sumi

robert43
January 27th, 2008, 08:45 PM
If you want to change pickups etc another way might be 1 of those reall cheap new guitars on ebay.
I look at it this way if its no good & you got it at the right $ you can allways use it as a wall hanger.
My son loves Lespauls & I am thing of buying 1 for his wall to hang up

notalentbum
January 27th, 2008, 09:18 PM
National music supply on eBay has one they call the FLP (search titles and descriptions ) for about $80, plus $45 shipping. (US$) I think their Strat copy is probably a better player,and much cheaper, but it depends on what you want. Chances are you couldn't get a decent framed picture of a Les Paul for much less than $120. I think a determined DIY luthier could probably do some shimming and make it playable, but you don't know until it comes in.

NO endorsement
No connection to NMS or eBay
No Talent Bum

pie_man_25
January 28th, 2008, 11:37 AM
If you start with a cheapie and take off everything crappy, you may find yourself with nothing left, but you may find that the neck and body of most strat knockoffs are decent. Painting is easy enough and there are people far away ( bruce wei on eBay) who will inlay your name on a cover for the back.

wow, I just bought a neck off of bruce wei, nice neck, jazz style, bone nut and a snake inlayed on it, I'm thinking of making either a jazz style or a thunderbird style body out of maybe douglas fir (it looks exactly like those "ash" eden bodies) or possibly maple. whatever really, as long as its not plywood or pressure treated.

ted s
January 28th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Anyone familiar with "Eden" for necks ?
looks like they are out of BC.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260201711971

Bloozcat
January 28th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Ted,

I just ran some quick numbers, and you could get all the components you'll need, except the paint for $500.00 or less + SHIPPING costs (that can add a little to the cost). All top quality components for the major parts too, like CTS pots, CRL switch, bone nut, Wilkinson/Kluson vintage style tuners, Wilkinson vintage style tremolo w/steel block, B Hefner licensed by Fender body and neck. Even the GFS Premium Alnico II pickups that I used in the price quote are great quality and sound good too.

The thing is, you'll be spending a lot of your time in putting this guitar together. It would be a fine quality guitar rivaling a Fender USA guitar when you're through. But, for about the same money +/- a few bucks, you could buy a Jimmy Vaughan Strat off the shelf with comparable components and quality...and Fender's name on it.

You could go with cheaper components (or a kit) and save maybe $150-$200 bucks, but it wouldn't be near the quality as either of the other two options. When you were through building the cheaper guitar, you'd probably start in upgrading the lesser components soon after...and still not have the quality in the wood when you were done.

So it comes down to this: How much does building you own guitar mean to you? Is it worth the time, effort, and money to get a quality guitar that is uniquely yours? Or, would you rather just buy one that's roughly equivelent and forgo the hassle? Or just go with a less expensive kit to learn on, see if you like guitar building, and not worry if it's not top quality.

Decisions, decisions......:D

ted s
January 28th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Well, I'm pretty darn sure I'm not interested in a kit, my previous post re:Eden necks was only because they were in Canada (but I guess that doesn't really matter if by chance they are importing), second thought says how good could they possibly be for 30 bucks ? A family friend who is a carpenter/woodworker planted this seed, he is in the process right now with his own build and has given me the Coles notes on the body build, so, I have access to his shop if need be.
I don't have a problem spending the time or "reasonable" amount of coin.
I have had good experiences with Guitar Fetish and would use them again.
Just have to make the first step and get the body blank. There is a local exotic woods place very close with blanks ready to go.

notalentbum
January 28th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Ted, there is an eBay seller in Ontario called BEZDEZ who has a lot of luthier supplies, including some strat-ish bodies. You may want to check him out, assuming he is not you. I bought from him once and was pleased with pricing and service, though it was for a pretty safe item- wall hooks, I think.

Over in the How Many Guitars thread I saw where someone else besides me acquires both guns and guitars. Among some shotgun fanciers, it is considered a good thing to load your own shells. It is not that you actually save money, but that you get a better quality product for the same money you'd spend anyway...

Hoping that cold is better...

Notalentbum

ted s
January 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM
thanks.. uh.. notalentbum.. I don't like calling you that, so I now pronounce you NTB for short...:D

Bloozcat
January 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Over in the How Many Guitars thread I saw where someone else besides me acquires both guns and guitars. Among some shotgun fanciers, it is considered a good thing to load your own shells. It is not that you actually save money, but that you get a better quality product for the same money you'd spend anyway...

There are a couple of us here with these dual afflictions...

I don't load shot shells, just metallic cartridges. It's certainly not to save money that I do it with the current cost of components, but because of the increase in both velocity and accuracy that I get from the rounds I load myself.

For those who've done both, this is a good analogy for building your own guitar. You get exactly what you want when it's finished, plus the satisfaction and pride that comes from acheiving a worthy goal (Yo Adrian, I did it!).

But I gotta tell ya', loading the shells is a whole lot easier and less time consuming than making a guitar...;)

robert43
January 31st, 2008, 04:01 AM
Anyone familiar with "Eden" for necks ?
looks like they are out of BC.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260201711971
Hi I have used a Eden neck ( current project a 5 string bass .
I got a 5 string Eden neck for $50US including shipping ( which to Australia is good )
The neck is pritty good I have also used a SX neck & quality etc is about the same ( head stck diffrent )
Robert

robert43
January 31st, 2008, 04:17 AM
Also the natural wood body bass ( 1st project ) is a Eden body good but no holes drilled for grounding bridge & to each pickup

ted s
February 2nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
- Tele and Strat templates.. check.
- body blank.. check.
- Ebay neck on order.. check.
- new blades for jig-saw.. check.
- buy a router.. check.
- mdf for practice.. double check.

I guess that's it, time to go make some dust.

warren0728
February 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
cool ted...can't wait to see the results! :beer:

ww

just strum
February 2nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
- Tele and Strat templates.. check.
- body blank.. check.
- Ebay neck on order.. check.
- new blades for jig-saw.. check.
- buy a router.. check.
- mdf for practice.. double check.

I guess that's it, time to go make some dust.

Gauze and tape - check

warren0728
February 2nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
you might want to add duct tape to that list....it's good stuff!! :D

ww

ted s
February 2nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
911 on speed dial..

pie_man_25
February 2nd, 2008, 12:59 PM
/\ never hurts, until you need it!

ted s
February 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
no blood yet, the cutaways are a little pronounced.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947a4cedd0ce80.jpg

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947a4cedd8118d.jpg

ted s
February 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Hope you all don't mind, I was thinking I would post my progress.
Made another template straight Tele, going to go with that. I have a Mighty Mite 21 fret Tele neck and a hard tail through body bridge on the way, will probably go with a 3 pup Strat type layout, tapped buckers neck and bridge with a single in the middle.. maybe..
Had a little crap going on at the bottom corner end grain but it should sand out...maybe..
The blank is close to 2 " thick, my Tele is a fat 1-3/4". It's a pretty light wood so I may leave the extra 1/4.. maybe..
First 2 pics are template practice... no maybe, that's what they are.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947a508a0af25e.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947a508a112263.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947a508a142b9a.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947a508a1730ea.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947a508a1a3635.jpg

Algonquin
February 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Looking good Ted!

:AOK:

sunvalleylaw
February 2nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Looks great Ted! Thanks for sharing your progress.

robert43
February 3rd, 2008, 01:01 AM
looks good watching this to se how you go

warren0728
February 3rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
very cool ted....when are you gonna start taking orders!! :rockon:

ww

oldguy
February 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
This is cool!:D Keep us posted as your work progresses....interesting, veddy interesting..........:beer:

M29
February 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Nice work Ted:rockon: I love this stuff, you are inspiring me to get going on my next project:AOK: I look forward to seeing your progress, thank you for sharing it with us.

M29

ted s
February 3rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
thanks guy's, it's all your fault(s) ! Started off wanting to build a VJ combo, then I got distracted..

M29
February 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Sometimes it's the distractions that get us what we crave:D

M29

ted s
February 3rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
finished the route, it looks like 2 pieces, had to do 2 passes for the depth.
It's one piece Obeche ? some kind of Brazilian. Now for lots of sanding and filing. Going to add the Strat type belly and forearm contours.
How many is a Brazilian anyway ? :messedup:
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947a65f6408d9d.jpg

Bloozcat
February 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM
That's looking great Ted!

You picked a great body for your first ground up project. I can't wait to see how the project progresses.

ted s
February 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM
A little rounding over, body contours and sanding.
I think I eff'd up a bit, a little narrow at the neck, I think I'm going to have to add, good thing it's going to be painted.

Edit.. after some thinking, if I shorten the stub about 1/4" that will put the width back around 2-1/8", should be fine. The bridge will shift but no big deal for this attempt.
I think I'll leave it alone until the neck shows up.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947abae0c904aa.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947abae0cd3e87.jpg

sunvalleylaw
February 7th, 2008, 11:59 PM
That is nice looking contouring, taking the edge off that tele. Are you going to go all the way strat style or leave it "hunkier"?

ted s
February 8th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I'm thinking "hunkier"

Algonquin
February 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Still have all your fingers (and thumbs) Ted? :)

Katastrophe
February 11th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Gawd, but I love reading about this stuff. Keep going, ted! Looks like a great job so far!:bravo:

ted s
February 12th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Still have all your fingers (and thumbs) Ted? :)

uh, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 .. yup !

Adrian30
February 12th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Great work Ted. Thanks for sharing this and looking forward to seeing more.

mrmudcat
February 14th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Great job so far ted !!!:master:Hey when you get to the insides ive got some various fender pots(american cts) and a nice spraque orange drop I can donate:D

ted s
February 14th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks guy's. Just waiting for my neck to arrive before I get too carried away.
Thanks for the offer Mud !, what a great bunch here !

ted s
February 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Got my neck and bridge the other day, here are some new pics.
Neck pocket isn't as tight as I would like, and I need to make it deeper.
I'm happy with the progress.
The parts are coming from JC's guitars in Chicago, good service so far.
Hardware will be black, 2 tapped hb's, Tele 3-way, 2 push-pull volumes and 1 tone. !/4" jack in the surface like a Strat. Final color changes every other day or so. At this time I'm thinking no pick guard so I'll need a control cavity in the back.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947bf67ed8de85.jpg http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947bf67edbff2a.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947bf67ede0e6b.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13947bf67ee0b844.jpg

Algonquin
February 22nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Looking really 'Sweet' Ted!

warren0728
February 22nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
looking really great....i would love to build my own guitar but don't have the tools or probably the ability....keep us posted.... :AOK:

ww

ted s
February 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
I don't have a lot of tools either, a router, jig-saw and palm sander are the only power tools used so far.
Take your time and think it through, you guys can do it too.

just strum
February 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
Ted, that is looking real sweet. :bravo: :bravo:

Algonquin
February 22nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Final color changes every other day or so.
Have you considered keeping it a 'Sweet Transparent'? ;)

ted s
February 22nd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Have you considered keeping it a 'Sweet Transparent'? ;)
Definitely, I keep leaning towards transparent blue after seeing a pic. of one of Bloozcat's Strats.

warren0728
February 22nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
trans blue is great....my ibanez semi holow body is trans blue...its purty :beer:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_35474b7a775f7b4.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=123)

ww

ted s
February 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Purty for sure !

Dreadman
February 23rd, 2008, 02:14 AM
Excellent thread. Wish I saw it when it started.

You may already be aware but there are some not-so-obvious things about making a body from scratch.

If the wood isn't properly aged it will twist/warp/shrink over time. If your hardwood shop sold it as a guitar body blank then it probably is aged the way you want it. If not you might want to consider leaving the finish off for several months.

When you do get to the finish stage be sure to completely cover the entire body. Every nook and cranny. If any wood is exposed to the atmosphere it will absorb and release moisture as the humidity changes, causing the body to grow, shrink and aggravate ya.

If you'd like I'd be happy to make you a waterslide decal for the headstock. Here's the one I made for my Strat-O-Killer:
If you look close it says "Fender-ish". I can make it with any text you'd like and they're real easy to put on.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/phobuk/My%20Guitars/Picture072.jpg

oldguy
February 23rd, 2008, 02:22 AM
Lookin' good, Ted! Keep up the good work. :AOK:
Dreadman, I love that headstock pic, very nice work.:D

Dreadman
February 23rd, 2008, 02:30 AM
Thanks OG, triple OG. (I've been wanting to call you that for a while now :D )

Is anyone familiar with that? I'd heard it in movies many times before I decided to look it up. OG turns out to be gang slang for "original gangster" and triple OG, well that means you're three times as bad. LOL

Algonquin
February 23rd, 2008, 06:54 AM
If you'd like I'd be happy to make you a waterslide decal for the headstock. Here's the one I made for my Strat-O-Killer:
If you look close it says "Fender-ish". I can make it with any text you'd like and they're real easy to put on.
Excellent looking Decal Dread! and an equally generous offer to help Ted decorate his new 'Tedecaster'

strumsalot
February 23rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Ted...you gots some talent dude.:dude:

luvmyshiner
February 23rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
Looking great Ted. Looks like I'm going to need to check this thread a little more often.

ted s
February 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks guy's, and thanks for the offer Dread, I may take you up on that.
I do have clear sticky sheets for a laser printer, is that the same thing ?

Dreadman
February 23rd, 2008, 03:13 PM
No. Waterslide decals are like the decals that come with plastic model cars and such. They're VERY thin and they don't wrinkle or peel off.

I'll post a how-to-make-waterslide-decals thread in a little while. It's pretty simple.

strumsalot
February 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
No. Waterslide decals are like the decals that come with plastic model cars and such. They're VERY thin and they don't wrinkle or peel off.

I'll post a how-to-make-waterslide-decals thread in a little while. It's pretty simple.
Is this what Frank Ford is using here (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Structural/BrokenHeadstocks/BackstrapOverlay/phoverlay.html)?

Dreadman
February 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Yes, exactly.

duhvoodooman
February 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Very cool, Ted. This stuff really impresses me, because I have ZERO woodworking skills. Keep thos "progress pix" coming! :dude: :bravo:

Katastrophe
February 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Very cool, Ted. This stuff really impresses me, because I have ZERO woodworking skills. Keep thos "progress pix" coming! :dude: :bravo:

+1... I tried to build a birdhouse for my dad once, to match the house that he just bought.

The magnitude of my failure is LEGEND in my family. $100.00 in wood, paint and tool rentals, along with other materials. I ended up narrowly escaping cutting off a finger and got overheated and started vomiting... and no birdhouse. It all got thrown in the trash in disgust.

ted s
February 24th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Kat, how big was that birdhouse ?

Katastrophe
February 24th, 2008, 11:13 AM
It was only supposed to be a small, one "room" birdhouse, nothing fancy. Of course, I could have gone to a crafts or hobby store and bought a premade kit to assemble, or just bought one and painted it to match the house colors,but noooooooooooo, I had to try and be a master carpenter.:thwap: The high cost was due to tool rental (I didn't have the proper tools), and return trips to Home Depot to get more wood n' stuff, 'cause I kept screwing up. I learned that the axiom "measure twice and cut once" has a lot of truth to it. Every once and a while someone from the family brings it up, and we all have a good laugh about it, myself included. It's a good thing that I don't take myself too seriously...:D

Bob Villa I ain't.

That's why I have a ton of respect for you modders, assemblers and builders out there in fretland. Y'all do something I apparently lack the gene for, and do it well. I'm able to live vicariously through your posts. :master: :D

ted s
February 24th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Bob Villa I ain't.

Apparently neither is he.. :rotflmao:

Dreadman
February 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM
LOL Ted. I know what you're saying. heh, heh

ted s
March 7th, 2008, 07:12 PM
hmm.. no pics, neck pocket turned out wonky, fit isn't what I would have liked and it's points off centre, not happy with it. Could make it work but then it would just be a crooked p.o.s. Might have to start over.. :reallymad:

Algonquin
March 7th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Bummer Ted.

Still have all twelve fingers? If so it had to have been a good learning experience. Take your lessons learned and give another go at building your Tedecaster II.

Thanks for the update Ted... sorry it didn't all come together this time.

ted s
March 8th, 2008, 02:55 PM
All is not lost, carpenter friend Bill who infected me with this, fixed'r up AND re- cut a proper neck pocket, snug and centered !

pie_man_25
March 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM
It was only supposed to be a small, one "room" birdhouse, nothing fancy. Of course, I could have gone to a crafts or hobby store and bought a premade kit to assemble, or just bought one and painted it to match the house colors,but noooooooooooo, I had to try and be a master carpenter.:thwap: The high cost was due to tool rental (I didn't have the proper tools), and return trips to Home Depot to get more wood n' stuff, 'cause I kept screwing up. I learned that the axiom "measure twice and cut once" has a lot of truth to it. Every once and a while someone from the family brings it up, and we all have a good laugh about it, myself included. It's a good thing that I don't take myself too seriously...:D

Bob Villa I ain't.

That's why I have a ton of respect for you modders, assemblers and builders out there in fretland. Y'all do something I apparently lack the gene for, and do it well. I'm able to live vicariously through your posts. :master: :D

it's cool man, we're all really only good at this stuff because there's a good chance we've grown up with this stuff, when I was young my father would teach me stuff about maintenance around the house, and i kept reading books about construction, electronics, sound, automotive repair, and eventually guitar, and what you see now is me today.And there's a good chance that others would have stories similar to mine.

ted s
May 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM
update, finally did some more work on this project, finished the routs, fitted it together. Have to get some plastic wood or something as I went a little wide with the router for the pups, or, go with a pickguard to hide it. I couldn't find a black control plate but I think it should look ok with chrome buckers.
Might have to go with a solid color after all, we'll see.
I don't know if I would do a body from scratch again, pretty finicky for my amateur precision woodworking. I'm more of a chopsaw and hammer guy at this time.
The pups are just placed in there not mounted but you get the idea.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13948260f7bae178.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13948260f7c157d6.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13948260f7c5a917.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/13948260f7c990e8.jpg

luvmyshiner
May 10th, 2008, 04:28 PM
WOW Ted, I think you're being way too hard on yourself. She looks great! Can't wait to see her finished, but I'm sure going to enjoy everything you do to get her there.

warren0728
May 10th, 2008, 05:01 PM
looking great ted....can't wait to see the progress!! :beer:

ww

M29
May 10th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Sweet Ted. I love seeing a project just before finish time. Great job:AOK:

M29

Algonquin
May 10th, 2008, 06:08 PM
:bravo:
Look at all that room between the Humbuckers Ted... You've got room for at least one more! :D

:bootyshake: Only joshing! I kidded about doing that to my Tele in another thread and upset another Fretter... My Bad!

Looks great Ted:AOK: (The Tedecaster Lives)

warren0728
May 10th, 2008, 06:11 PM
:bravo:
Look at all that room between the Humbuckers Ted... You've got room for at least one more! :D

that's true...a nice single coil in between would definitely give you some more tonal ranges....

ww

robert43
May 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Nice work well done.
I would go the natural finish my self

ted s
May 10th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks guy's. Robert43, I was really counting on some kind of natural since conception..er.. inception, but now that I have had to correct some rout gaps with plastic wood I wouldn't be surprised if those areas stick out like my sore thumb.
I did see a few REALLY cool blue and green pastel colors in Krylon rattle cans I will have to think about though.

ted s
May 10th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Algonk.. hmm, re middle pup, nice idea, maybe on Tedecaster 2.0.
What about a Les Paul body style (flat top) with a Tele neck, Strat hard tail and 3 pup config ?!

sunvalleylaw
May 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Looks great! I think if you want to make sure about the rout gaps, etc., It would look really good in a vintage strat color like those pool interior type green/blues with a honey maple finish neck!

EDiT: Aha, I read again and see you were already considering some cool pastel green/blues. :AOK: I think that would rock!

just strum
May 10th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Ted,

That is looking great. You are making some nice progress.

I'll take a dozen to go and I'll pick them up the next time I'm in the area. Of course I will be expecting my fretter discount.

Kazz
May 11th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Looks great.....hopefully you can manage something with the wood filler...that guitar would look amazing with a clear coat only......if you can get the routs blended in a bit....I would continue your look for a black control plate and knobs....but that is just me....of course I would have looked for black pups too.

If you cannot source a black plate.....roughing up that chrome finish so it will accept primer and paint would not be too much of a task.

I wish I had the time and talent to really take on a project like that....but the whole neck and pocket thing scares the heck out of me.

ted s
May 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I goofed up the neck pocket and had a carpenter friend fix it.

pie_man_25
May 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
did you make the neck ted? it looks really nice, also, what's the body being made of?

ted s
May 11th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Pie, no way dude, I didn't make that neck, it's a Mighty-Might neck, for $100 I wouldn't even attempt it ! I had read mixed reviews on the mighty mights, but this one is a beauti, nice fret job and finish etc.. I wouldn't have a problem putting on on my "real" Tele if I had to.
The body wood is called Obeche, a Brazillion hardwood I am told although physically it is soft. It was ($35) about half the price of a swamp ash blank locally.

How many is a Brazillion anyway.

(I love saying that !)

pie_man_25
May 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Pie, no way dude, I didn't make that neck, it's a Mighty-Might neck, for $100 I wouldn't even attempt it ! I had read mixed reviews on the mighty mights, but this one is a beauti, nice fret job and finish etc.. I wouldn't have a problem putting on on my "real" Tele if I had to.
The body wood is called Obeche, a Brazillion hardwood I am told although physically it is soft. It was ($35) about half the price of a swamp ash blank locally.

How many is a Brazillion anyway.

(I love saying that !)

obeche, nice, I heard that's a nice working wood that's generally durable, and stable, not to meniton those pics.