PDA

View Full Version : replacement nut for a cheapie (Fullerton) strat?

Pickngrin
January 20th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I bought one of those Fullerton strat copies awhile back for next to nothing and changed the plastic nut for a graphite one. I brought it to a local guitar repairman to have him cut the slots which I had botched. He wound up cutting the B and high E slots too low, and I just let the guitar sit. Now I'd like to put on a suitable nut, but really don't want to go back to that guy. Any way I can buy a truly pre-slotted nut online? I say "truly pre-slotted" because the one I bought was supposedly slotted (an Allparts, I think) but for all practical purposes did not have significant slots.

Thanks

duhvoodooman
January 20th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I bought a pre-slotted tusq nut at StewMac (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/Tusq_Nuts.html) for my Fullerton ST4, and it worked great.

Pickngrin
January 21st, 2008, 06:48 AM
Thanks. Did you buy item #4750, with the bump on the bottom, and sand that off?

duhvoodooman
January 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM
Yup, exactly! :AOK:

Big K
January 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
I bought a pre-slotted tusq nut at StewMac (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/Tusq_Nuts.html) for my Fullerton ST4, and it worked great.

+1 StewMac pre-slots are great & save a ton of time.....

jasongins
January 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
I put a pre-slotted Tusq nut into my SX STL Ash tele copy. It was surprisingly easy, including removing the "bump" on the bottom of the nut, and it has improved the guitar's tuning stability and playability.

LowEndWonder
January 26th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Go with a bone nut, and a different luthier.
Bone is easier to work with and will keep your strat sounding like a strat.:AOK:

markb
January 27th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Go with a bone nut, and a different luthier.
Bone is easier to work with and will keep your strat sounding like a strat.:AOK:

+1 for bone. And cows are a renewable resource :D

Bucks Owin
February 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
+1 for bone. And cows are a renewable resource :D

Amen bros....."Bone for tone" IMO....(Wish Buzz Feiten used that!)

Dennis

Skip77
February 14th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Pickngrin, I know this is nearly a year-old thread but in case anyone else is interested in a finished bone or other material nut - there's a guy selling custom nuts and saddles in ebay - Treeroot - I've bought from him and a lot of other buddies from other forums have too - he does fantastic work at a very reasonable price. He is in England and also quite busy so it may need a couple, three weeks to get the item(s) but well worth it.

Pickngrin
February 15th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Pickngrin, I know this is nearly a year-old thread but in case anyone else is interested in a finished bone or other material nut - there's a guy selling custom nuts and saddles in ebay - Treeroot - I've bought from him and a lot of other buddies from other forums have too - he does fantastic work at a very reasonable price. He is in England and also quite busy so it may need a couple, three weeks to get the item(s) but well worth it.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, this thread is not even a month old.
I just recently bought a pre-slotted Tusq nut from Guitarelectronics.com, but haven't had a chance to install it yet.

Skip77
February 15th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I see - I mistook the date you joined for the thread age. Thanks for clearing me up. In the meantime b4 installation of new nut, have you considered Krazy glue in the slots that are too low? I tried this from tips offered at another forum when I went too far on my last nut job. Actually, Krazy glue, even without the wood particle fillers mixed with it (as suggested in the other forum) works fine and has lasted several months and still going! A decent quick fix!

Pickngrin
February 16th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks... yeah, I had thought about superglue, but there was no real rush, as this isn't my main guitar, and I didn't want to compromise the tone too much...