PDA

View Full Version : Tone in the fingers

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 09:23 AM
This phrase is often used when someone wants to say; it ain't the gear, it's how good a player you are.

& indeed, I have found that as I (slowly) get better, my gear sounds better.

But, I'd like to dive a little deeper.

When I am learning something, I first am trying to hit the correct notes, then make sure that I have the timing correct, & after I am on relatively solid ground with the basics I start thinking about how it sounds. This is where the fingers really come into their own. Fingers are really quite subtle instruments. The tone & sound are greatly affected by slight variations of pressure, a microseconds worth of lingering, a bit of upward pressure on the string etc.

Those little things are what give a player his or her voice. Guitar playing is really a conversation between the fingers & the gear. I don't doubt that you can change the ability of the gear to listen to & respond to what you have to say. I've seen that with small tweaks of my own gear, but if you're fingers are speaking in a hamfisted way, your gear will only hear hamfistedness.

What I want to say is pay attention to the fingers, try the same thing over & over with slight variations & listen to the sound & feel. Then you'll say. D@mn, this cheap piece of shit sounds GOOOOOOOOD!

Tim
January 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
Good advice ToT. It takes players years to discover what you summed up in your post. We have Fretters that contribute valuable information to help us beginner players play better. All we need to do is listen to them and practice what they preach. Right now I just need loooooots of practice.

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 10:08 AM
Hey Tim!

I forgot to add, that then you'll wanna go right out & buy yourself some nice gear ;).

Plank_Spanker
January 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM
Well said, Tot. Good gear does not a player make.........................

You have to play the guitar - and that's in the hands and the spirit of the player. Way too many players obsess over "tone" as being the sole responsibilty of the gear. It's not just tone. It's being able to express yourself through your instrument - to be connected. It takes a while to develop that connection, and some players never do.

Gear is just the tool that allows you to do it.

birv2
January 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM
Case in point -- our local blues jam is led by an excellent band: Bob Noble and Blue Voodoo. Bob is a great guitarist and accomplished in lots of different styles from jazz to blues to Hendrix and everywhere in between.

Last week I noticed he was playing a different Strat, kind of a sunburst that looked newish. After the set, I took a look at it -- it was a $119 SX strat from Rondo. He was pretty happy with his purchase. Now granted, it didn't sound quite as good to my ears as his normal vintage Strat, but hey....

Not saying that it doesn't matter what guitar you play. But a really good player is going to sound really good on most guitars.

Bob

Guitar Gal
January 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM
Not saying that it doesn't matter what guitar you play. But a really good player is going to sound really good on most guitars.

Bob

I think Robert is a perfect example of this when he made those videos of himself playing his Squire '51.
:rockon:

GG

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Are you guys serious? Plank, look at your signature..
Although.. tone comes from your fingers.. doesn't gear also count?

Can we change this to say in the END.. it's your fingers that define you?

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE is the best tone creator!! in my humble newbie opinion.. even the 11 yearold wonders on Youtube been playing 5 + years..

I'll agree 100% that alot is in the fingers.. a great instrument..
you can hear it in Roberts playing.. Frank's playing.. the spudsman.. Superswedes... stingx.. OldGuy..etc etc.. and all the great talents

and you can hear it lacking in newbies like me..
I just want to question something...
"as a newbie.." is it because we are playing more that we are just starting to use those fingers better..
or does the gear we have and have gone thru actually help us find our path?

I feel as if the fingers statement use to/still does frustrate me.. not having the god given talent to have fingers that work in the beginning...
how frustrating it is to hear a player tell a newbie..oh it's in your fingers..
you either got it or dont..yet they have practiced YEARS on end before they probably had it.. which without, they never would have it.
and no proper sounding equipment to obtain what I was trying to hear did make a difference.
it must be me and these darn fingers..I need to quit playing.. was my thought... still often is.. because of these statements...lol

yet, once I added in different effects.. it seems I try harder to ring out notes..(fingers!) cause I start hearing what I was headed to.
and usually it goes along with the effect.. screaming solo's etc..;)
Yet, I think it's practice practice practice that is the best tone creator..
and I am still a long way off after a few years of it..

Also even though, still a cheap guitar.. I believe the feel of my Jimmie Vaughan has helped my playing.. and tone using those same fingers.
I really like my Squier 51.. but just the feeling between the two makes me grab the JV..
Also makes me wonder if i got an American Fender with V neck will that improve my playing even more.. (still finding reasons to buy more gear)

I believe the fingers is the end result.. but doesnt the gear/effects and their quality play a major role? (finding an excuse to keep buying gear)

I am sure None of those people I mentioned has just bottom of the line gear..
I am also sure.. the better quality gear lends to better practice.. and sound.

granted alot of people nailed strings to barn walls and learned..they eventually found better gear to make their sound heard even better..

then maybe it was just in the fingers later, after years and years of practice that they could grab anything and sound good....

PRACTICE is to me the Best Instrument and tone creator.. which I need much much more of.. :rotflmao:

birv2
January 21st, 2008, 11:17 AM
then maybe it was just in the fingers later, after years and years of practice that they could grab anything and sound good....

PRACTICE is to me the Best Instrument and tone creator.. which I need much much more of.. :rotflmao:

I actually think you're absolutely right, and there really isn't any contradiction between what I said and what you're saying.

It's not that some people have "magic fingers" that just enable them to be Paganini on the guitar when they first pick it up. You're right, they need years and years of practice until they start getting to the point where they're able to express what they feel inside through those fingers. I'm just finding that I can do this A BIT. Still a long way to go, and there's probably never a "finish line" in this marathon...

So don't feel discouraged. There's no magic shortcut. Someday you'll just be "practicing" and you'll hear something new and cool. And you'll be surprise that it's you playing it. And that will be enough to keep you practicing for the next several years...;)

My .02,
Bob

Plank_Spanker
January 21st, 2008, 11:21 AM

I never meant to imply that gear doesn't count. It does, but it's just part of the beast. It's not the be all and end all of "tone". You, the player, have to able the play the rig. I could plug into [insert famous guitar player's name here] exact rig and sound nothing like him. I'd still sound like me.

My collection of gear gives me a pallette of sounds to work from but, in the end, it's still my connection to the instrument that wrings forth the "tone". :D

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2008, 11:24 AM
I never meant to imply that gear doesn't count. It does

That's all I was looking for..:) now I can continue to BUY things.. thank you...:master: :bravo: :rotflmao:

Plank_Spanker
January 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
That's all I was looking for..:) now I can continue to BUY things.. thank you...:master: :bravo: :rotflmao:

LOL! :beer:

abraxas
January 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM
I believe we must read this axiom: "tone is in the fingers" as "a good player can make good (his own) tone, given any piece of gear".

That is very true if you look at some very talented players, getting their trademark tone from off-the shelf components.

For instance, I was told that, when BB King came to Greece for a concert, he was given a quite "inappropriate" rented amp to play on (can't recall what it was, a Marshall maybe?). Well, he sounded exactly like BB King.

Another example is that of EVH, replicating his trademark sounds and feel in the studio, playing a Steinberger "broomstick" guitar.

But even (way) lesser players can show something similar. I think it has to do with focusing in the sound you want to create "no matter what". I see it in myself; while playing a different guitar I will unconsciously change things as the angle and strength of pick attack, where I hit the string, tone and volume control settings etc, to arrive at the sound "I'm after".

Of course, you don't expect The Edge to produce his sounds with only a Tele and a Fender Pro Jr, but I hope you get my meaning.

Plank_Spanker
January 21st, 2008, 01:01 PM
I think it has to do with focusing in the sound you want to create "no matter what". I see it in myself; while playing a different guitar I will unconsciously change things as the angle and strength of pick attack, where I hit the string, tone and volume control settings etc, to arrive at the sound "I'm after".

To me that is the essence of being connected and in command of the instrument. I think we've all been dancing around the same flag pole on this. Every bit of gear in use just colors a player's sound. The foundation of that sound comes from the player.

We have all strived at one point or another to sound like "X" guitar player. Our playing is the sum of our experiences. Sooner or later, we arrive at our own "style" - the way we play and command the instrument. It's as individual as fingerprints and, regardless of what gear we're using, will still have an individual stamp.

marnold
January 21st, 2008, 01:14 PM
To me that is the essence of being connected and in command of the instrument. I think we've all been dancing around the same flag pole on this. Every bit of gear in use just colors a player's sound. The foundation of that sound comes from the player.

We have all strived at one point or another to sound like "X" guitar player. Our playing is the sum of our experiences. Sooner or later, we arrive at our own "style" - the way we play and command the instrument. It's as individual as fingerprints and, regardless of what gear we're using, will still have an individual stamp.
Word. I think the point is that great guitarists will still be great on crappy instruments whereas a crappy guitarist will sound like crap on the most expensive guitar and amp available.

Another part that gets forgotten--and I'm as guilty of this as anyone--is the mental aspect of gear. No, really, hear me out. If a guitarist is convinced that a particular guitar sounds like crap or that he "can't play it," his playing will be substandard partially because he has decided in advance that it's going to be. When I was playing bass I really wanted a DOD bass chorus. The salesman was brutally honest with me and said that most people listening to me won't notice the effect. But, he added, if it makes YOU feel better (or feel that you sound better), then it's worth it.

I can certainly envision the day that I would own a more expensive guitar than the ones I currently own. But first, I need to become a better player and I also need to become better acquainted with who I am as a guitarist. So, for example, I don't get an SSS Strat, if I discover that in my heart of hearts I'm a headbanger and always will be one so I'd be better off with twin humbuckers and a Floyd. Or that Jackson Randy Rhoads I've always had my eye on. Or an ESP Lynch Kamikaze.

Plank_Spanker
January 21st, 2008, 01:22 PM
Another part that gets forgotten--and I'm as guilty of this as anyone--is the mental aspect of gear.

Great point! :bravo:

If using X guitar through Y amp, with Z effects puts a fire in your belly, then it's all good. A huge part of being able to command your sound is being satisfied and in touch with your gear.

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 02:18 PM

and you can hear it lacking in newbies like me..
I just want to question something...
"as a newbie.." is it because we are playing more that we are just starting to use those fingers better..
or does the gear we have and have gone thru actually help us find our path?

Justa, that's why I wanted to dig deeper. In my opinion, music *is* the conversation between the fingers & the gear. Better gear provides more nuanced responses to what the fingers are saying, but the fingers do the speaking. I was trying to talk about *the fingers*, not the player. To take them digits seriously. How much flesh is put on the string & at what angle. The little microdelays. Gentle llandings versus rushed slamming. These thing give the tone whispers & curliques & flavor.

You don't have to be good to pay deeper attention. You can totally suck & still gain benefit from listening deeply & paying attention.

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2008, 02:42 PM
Better gear provides more nuanced responses to what the fingers are saying

You don't have to be good to pay deeper attention. You can totally suck & still gain benefit from listening deeply & paying attention.

Agreed.. as long as this leads to buying yet more gear... :rotflmao:

But, I must add... as you stated.. you need the gear.. to hear the fingers..

I could have saved alot of money buying the more expensive stuff to start with.. then continue to buy even more expensive stuff..:rotflmao:

there has to be some logic to this...

Using Robert as the icon we learn from here on thefret.net:
he had a great Reverend Amp.. then a VOX amp.. now a Mack truck..
He had a great Squier tele, a Squier 51 and now a Fender deluxe player..
He is buying them for some reason..
even though his fingers have the tone..;)
least us forget the pedals he goes thru..:master:

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM
My real goal with this thread was to instigate yet another GAS frenzy. :D

Thanks Justa for kickstarting the gear buying :AOK:.

...heading to eBaY ;).

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
My real goal with this thread was to instigate yet another GAS frenzy. :D

Thanks Justa for kickstarting the gear buying :AOK:.

...heading to eBaY ;).

Your welcome...:)

My goal was to end the "its in the fingers" remarks.....
So to not discourage other newbies with the same fingers as myself...
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...

I think its in everything combined... the more I look at players.. the more I see gear changing.. while the fingers are the same...;)

I want something expensive!! I will sound like crap.. but look good in my signature!!

Robert
January 21st, 2008, 03:07 PM
Well since I see my name mentioned here repeatedly :D - just for the record - I still use my Hellhound and Vox Valvetronix, I still use my Squiers and my cheap pedals...

Not sure what we're really discussing here anymore, but here's my 2 cents: Gear that I like to play will make me play better. Why? Because I like the sound/feel of what I'm playing, I'll be more excited and I will play better as a result.

Do I like to play cheap gear? Sure, why not? But I'd have to say it's probably more likely I will enjoy more expensive gear, since such gear is usually better (better meaning more overall quality, better attention to details, higher quality individual parts, better sound/tone etc). Still, my Squier Tele sounds incredibly good. If it didn't say Squier on the headstock, people would be asking me how many grand did that cool Tele cost? :dude:

Lastly, it's very common as Marnold indicates, that we think we'll be closer to tone heaven if we buy more expensive gear. That does not need to be true though. On the other hand, a more expensive quality tube amp will likely give me more tonal pleasure than the cheapest solid state amp on the market. And so it continues... :)

By the way, the one thing I get fed up with are all the people telling me I need better guitars. Why am I playing Squier, the worst guitars you can find, etc.... part of me laughs at them since I know at some level I've already proved them wrong, but I also get the feeling if I get more Fenders I'd avoid a lot of these annoying comments...
:beer:

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Your welcome...:)

My goal was to end the "its in the fingers" remarks.....
So to not discourage other newbies with the same fingers as myself...
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...

Justa, I don't think that you really heard what I am trying to say about the fingers.

I'm not talking about skill. I'm talking about fingers.

I'm not talking about magic fingers or some hot shot's fingers. I'm talking about YOUR fingers.

All I am saying is slow down & pay attention. Those fingers are doing lots of things even during newbie wanking. I have just noticed that it's the little subtle things that turn a stupid little phrase from sounding mechanical & barely musical towards the land of tone.

A..HEY that's niiiiice, let's do it a little more like that...kind'a thing.

A finger wagging in the direction of music , if you will.

The most important part of practice is attention & for me attending to what the fingers are doing is rewarding. I know we all pay attention to the fingers, but I'm suggesting paying rapt attention, like you can't wait to hear what they have to say. It's the little things that matter.

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 03:20 PM
Not sure what we're really discussing here anymore, I'm discussing fingers :D:rotflmao::D.

But then again, I'm not from this planet.

Ooooooo, just *what are* these crazy appendages at the end of my hand?!?

That's probably why I slammed the door on one of 'em.

Verdict: Exquisite pain, *DO NOT* do again.

Robert
January 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM
To me, my fingers let me express my musical ideas. How I use my fingers in terms of pressure, angle, attack, etc is related to my level of musicianship and experience.

It all kinda comes together - my knowledge of scales, chords (theory) and musical ideas (melodies, licks, etc) and my body (fingers, hands) as well as the gear I'm using.

I'd need to use my fingers differently on an acoustic with really high action, compared to a low action shredder guitar though a high distortion amp. You get the idea.

Am I approaching the same solar system as you now, Tot? :D

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Justa, I don't think that you really heard what I am trying to say about the fingers.

I hear ya brother... you started this as tone in the fingers..and what you can obtain from them.. I hear ya.. I just think proper EXPENSIVE gear gets you there better..
all I was saying..
it's my opinion.. nothing personal.. beit right or wrong..
and not to be discouraged if your fingers are all thumbs like mine..
thru practice..you will get to the finger stuff.. eventually..

The more practice you do..
the more TONE comes from your fingers..

its a forum and we get to say what we think.. I think?....

maybe im on the other planet..:poke: ...:)

Quote from somebody:
On the other hand, a more expensive quality tube amp will likely give me more tonal pleasure than the cheapest solid state amp on the market.
And so it continues... :)

So... keep practicing..the finger tone will come... in the mean time..
lets buy more gear...;)

Cause no one can tell you how to use your fingers...

it's something you have to feel as you mentioned...
in time, through practice.. you will..hopefully..
was my point..
and I promise to shutup if you don't reply to me...;)

birv2
January 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM
By the way, the one thing I get fed up with are all the people telling me I need better guitars. Why am I playing Squier, the worst guitars you can find, etc.... part of me laughs at them since I know at some level I've already proved them wrong, but I also get the feeling if I get more Fenders I'd avoid a lot of these annoying comments...
:beer:

On one level, they're right. But on lots of other levels, they're so wrong. Witness the story I told in this thread (way at the beginning).

I think the anti-Squier thing is mainly snobbery. You read so much of this on another forum I could mention -- got to have that amp, those pedals, that axe, that cord, those picks, etc. I bet in a blind test, most people couldn't tell the difference.

I saw the Fabulous Thunderbirds a year ago, and their guitarist, Nick Curran, was playing a Squier 51. Saw a picture of Lil Ed and the Blues Imperials, and Lil Ed's playing a Squier Strat. I'd hate to think what would happen if Hound Dog Taylor showed up on one of these forums with his Teisco Del Ray and a slide made out of a chair leg... He'd get laughed off the forum.

You play what you can afford and make the best of it. I started with an Affinity Squier Strat, and I just bought a Jimmie Vaughan strat. But I'm keeping the Affinity because it sounds good to me. I'm not against more expensive gear -- I wish I could afford more of it. I'm just against people assuming if you get the Jimmy Page Les Paul you'll really sound like JP. No you won't! Besides, there's already one JP. There's only one of you, so be you.:dude:

Bob

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
Yes, Robert I think you are approaching, but let's ask Spanky to take a look through his gattling gun to make sure.

I hear ya brother... you started this as tone in the fingers..and what you can obtain from them.. I hear ya.. I just think proper EXPENSIVE gear gets you there better..

and I promise to shutup if you don't reply to me...;) Awww, what would be the fun if you shut up?

That's actually a refreshing point of view.

Q: I'm a newb, what should I do?

A: By the most expensive, best gear you can afford (& then some) ;)

I actually agree with that. Get the best that you can afford. Unfortunately, your desires & what you think is the best will change as you progress. Moreover, people don't spend enough time with their gear to really understand it. You gotta play it to know it.

Play 'em if you've got 'em is what I say.

just strum
January 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
I have to get in on this.

I've said it before, playing guitar is so much like golf (and no doubt many other sports or activities) You can buy all the drivers that you want, none will make you a better player on their own. You can have the latest and greatest equipment, but you will still play the same. The better you are, the more you will get out of the equipment. You are the engine and you make everything else sound better through dedication and determination.

Oh, and hate to burst the bubble - but it's all in the pick:D :D

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM
Yes, Robert I think you are approaching, but let's ask Spanky to take a look through his gattling gun to make sure.

Awww, what would be the fun if you shut up?

That's actually a refreshing point of view.

Q: I'm a newb, what should I do?

A: By the most expensive, best gear you can afford (& then some) ;)

Did I approach your galaxy Justa? :D

There ya go.. ya hit my galaxy...;)

I believe.. and again "I" believe.. any teacher worth their salt, would tell their student to buy the best they can afford to learn on if their heart is in it..
and I truelly believe the teacher is trying to tell them that lower quality gear will be a deterrent to better playing..
then they would tell them practice practice practice..and dont worry about tone ..
it will come in time.. and most likely thru their fingers....;)

Welcome to my world...:rotflmao:

Besides, the student will sell it later and retain most of the value due to a quality item..and e-bay...;)

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM
The funny thing is that this whole thread started because while working on a lead line, I noticed that what made the difference between mechanically correct playing & nuanced soul was very little & it had to do with things that my fingers were exploring without my conscious knowledge.

It's hard to explain. I knew that it would turn into the gear vs practice song & that is fine.

But really, I was trying to talk about fingers & tone :D:rotflmao::D.

Go get the gear that you have now (Justa, we'll wait while you sell yours on ebay & buy some better stuff ;) ) & try it. Play something--anything--while focusing on the little flourishes that really scratch your itch and those that don't quite make it.

What's the difference?

How do you describe *that*?

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2008, 06:11 PM

Can we change this to say in the END.. it's your fingers that define you?

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE is the best tone creator!! in my humble newbie opinion.. even the 11 yearold wonders on Youtube been playing 5 + years..

I'll agree 100% that alot is in the fingers.. a great instrument..

read above...

Strangest thing..I have yet to say your wrong.. :)
Just hate the topic... fingers=tone

I am the one that mentioned practice, practice practice..don't worry about your fingers.. btw...;)

And Just that it's practice that works best and leads to the tone..
and better equipment makes it better..:)

I worked up to most the good stuff now..so I don't really need ebay at the moment.. but would be nice to get some even better stuff anyways..

Am I getting closer to your galaxy?

Edit: looking back through here..looks like arguing..
I have/had no intensions of doing that..sorry guys..:beer:

Nor am I doing nothing more than laughing about it re-reading it...
By god im firm now! its the GEAR!! :flamemad: :rotflmao:

Darn it strum!! Jeff Beck don't use a pick!! you trouble maker!!

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Play something--anything--while focusing on the little flourishes that really scratch your itch and those that don't quite make it.

What's the difference?

How do you describe *that*?

I found just the thing to play that with... its all in the gear!!!
http://img.nextag.com/image/Back-Scratcher-6-plastic/1/000/005/795/018/579501801.jpg

:rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM
I found just the thing to play that with... its all in the gear!!!
http://img.nextag.com/image/Back-Scratcher-6-plastic/1/000/005/795/018/579501801.jpg

:rotflmao:
But those are just cheapie chinese-made models.

You need a hand carved ge-u-wine '59 spec resin dojiggy if ya really want tone! :rotflmao:

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2008, 06:53 PM

You need a hand carved ge-u-wine '59 spec resin dojiggy if ya really want tone! :rotflmao:

Ahhh Ha!!! you do agree..better gear makes for better play!!:bravo:

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Ahhh Ha!!! you do agree..better gear makes for better play!!:bravo:
Ya' got me Justa :D:rotflmao::D.

sunvalleylaw
January 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM

Or the Brazilian rosewood for fine acoustic tone! :D

Yeah, I think the fingers make a big difference. A skilled lifetime golfer can hit a great Tee shot without a modern Big Bertha or Taylormade. A golf newb will still hit a much poorer shot even with the Big Bertha, but the high quality piece of gear will help that newb golfer get going, give him/her a bit of confidence once in a while and may help him stick with it. tot, you are really speaking to once that golfer gets good, what he/she does with the club to finesse the shot, right? I agree, at every level, getting to know your gear and getting more skilled at having your fingers relate to said gear makes a huge difference. Arguably the most important difference. But getting decent gear helps. I have a pretty nice MIM strat, and a Fully. My tone is not the same on each. But I am better on the Fully now than I was, and sound more like myself, because I have been working on it. But my strat got me started, hooked me, and is still my go to axe. It seems like I can hear the difference in what I am doing with my fingers better on it. Ok, pre-dinner ramble over. Hee, hee!

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 07:14 PM
. tot, you are really speaking to once that golfer gets good, what he/she does with the club to finesse the shot, right? I agree, at every level, getting to know your gear and getting more skilled at having your fingers relate to said gear makes a huge difference. Arguably the most important difference. But getting decent gear helps.
Nope, I'm not talking about when a player gets good. I'm no good. I am not discussing gear either--that's Justa's job :D.

I wasn't trying to be a cheerleader in the fingers/gear war, I was trying to nimbly sidestep that dichotomy & talk about fingers as instruments of expression, not as the antithesis of gear.

Pick up what ever gear you have,

or go buy better gear if it makes you happy ;).

Don't wait until you are a better player, do it while you suck. Notice when the phrase sounds boring & mechanical & when it shows promise & points toward something soulful. Don't change any knobs or tweak anything.

What is *that*.

I started this 'cause I noticed something was going on with my fretting fingers & picking hand. Little decisions like how hard to pick, how much flesh to press onto the string & at what angle, whether the fretting finger should just beat the pick to the string or lie there in wait. Millions of these little nuanced moves & such. I wasn't thinking them out only noticing them.

I just thought, there lies your nascent voice waiting to be developed.

just strum
January 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM
...talk about fingers as instruments of expression,...

Oh, you mean like when you are driving your car.:D I express myself all the time.

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM
Oh, you mean like when you are driving your car.:D I express myself all the time. So that was *YOU*

...mumble...use your damn blinkers...mumble...bastid...mumble...

sunvalleylaw
January 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM
Ok tot, I did not express myself well. I did understand what you are saying and agree. I said when a player gets good, but it applies now just as well, while I suck. But don't try, play or play not! :) :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Ok tot, I did not express myself well. I did understand what you are saying and agree. I said when a player gets good, but it applies now just as well, while I suck. But don't try, play or play not! :) :AOK:
:AOK:

Spudman
January 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Don't complain if you can't get your fingers to work.
hSnUwA6c67k

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2008, 08:48 PM
Don't complain if you can't get your fingers to work.
hSnUwA6c67k

Told ya's... it's gear and practice...

Tone=toes...

:dude: :bravo: :dude:

Ro3b
January 25th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Five pages into this topic and no name-calling or scatology. I like this forum.

warren0728
January 25th, 2008, 08:11 AM
naw...since we have so many chefs on this board...tone is in the spoon!

http://www.wimp.com/teaspoon/

ww :pancake:

tot_Ou_tard
January 25th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Five pages into this topic and no ... scatology. I like this forum. Poop.

Justaguyin_nc
January 25th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Poop.
Tot..I hear what your saying..but...
I would think Fecal Matter would be more appropriate...:rotflmao:

Ro3b
January 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Poop.

Napiform pornogenitone.

(Civility is such a fragile thing, innit?)

tot_Ou_tard
January 25th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Napiform pornogenitone.

(Civility is such a fragile thing, innit?)
Turnip shaped son of a prostitute?!?

This thread is worth it just for *that*!

Plank_Spanker
January 27th, 2008, 03:36 PM
You guys are disgusting pigs! :D :beer: