PDA

View Full Version : Just gotta say....

duhvoodooman
January 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM
....(with all due respect to our Packer fan Fretters):

GO GIANTS!!!

This next one is gonna be really hard, though!! The Pats are a freakin' machine....

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM
that was a great game... if tynes missed again..you would never have heard from him again..lol... naw, he did fine..

But against Patriots... I dunno... but will actually pull for them now..

luvmyshiner
January 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM
That was a great game. And even though I wasn't pulling for the Giants, I'm going to have to side with Justaguy on the next game. The Patriots have been brutal this year and it would be nice to see the underdog pull it out. Besides, since the Cowboys had to loose to someone, it would be nice if that someone went all the way.

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM
That was a great game. And even though I wasn't pulling for the Giants, I'm going to have to side with Justaguy on the next game. The Patriots have been brutal this year and it would be nice to see the underdog pull it out. Besides, since the Cowboys had to loose to someone, it would be nice if that someone went all the way.
Just who are these Sowboys to whom you often refer?

luvmyshiner
January 21st, 2008, 10:17 AM
Ouch Tot! You sure know how to kick a guy when he's down.:poke:

Plank_Spanker
January 21st, 2008, 11:53 AM
While I'm certainly not a Giants fan (go Eagles! :D ), I'll be rooting for them bigtime. It would be great to see the Pats walk off defeated by a team that nobody respected all season.

piebaldpython
January 21st, 2008, 01:22 PM
Hey Plank, yo Jersey boy; maybe to YOU they're the EAGLES but to a born/bred/raised/still there Philly-ite like myself, they're the IGGLES!! Just bustin' your chops Plank. No harm meant. ahahha Go Giants. The GIANTS got their act together at the end of the season and are parading away. ahhahaa IGGLES beating the BOYS at the end of the season was our Super Bowl (:bravo: ) and seeing TO crying over Romo/bimbo-of-the-month fiasco was just the icing on the cake!! :beer:

Plank_Spanker
January 21st, 2008, 01:26 PM
Hey Plank, yo Jersey boy; maybe to YOU they're the EAGLES but to a born/bred/raised/still there Philly-ite like myself, they're the IGGLES!! Just bustin' your chops Plank. No harm meant. ahahha Go Giants. The GIANTS got their act together at the end of the season and are parading away. ahhahaa IGGLES beating the BOYS at the end of the season was our Super Bowl (:bravo: ) and seeing TO crying over Romo/bimbo-of-the-month fiasco was just the icing on the cake!! :beer:

Signed! :AOK:

The Giants are working off of pure heart. It would be great to see "heart" win.

WackyT
January 21st, 2008, 02:23 PM
GO PATS!

18 DOWN, 1 MORE TO GO!

(I grew up in MA. Excuse me for my exuberance.)

Plank_Spanker
January 21st, 2008, 02:27 PM
A "David vs Goliath" Superbowl...............................:D

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2008, 02:43 PM
I'm just trying to take the old adage

Always mess with Texas

to heart ;).

just strum
January 21st, 2008, 06:01 PM
I'm going with the Pats.

A strong argument for the Giants has been made, but I want to see a perfect season.

Besides it might be an opportunity to see Bill smile. I didn't like him when he coached the Browns, but he is a football genius.

Tone2TheBone
January 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM
-4 degree temps. Yikes. Good game and I knew Voodoo was going to say something like this.

sunvalleylaw
January 22nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
GO GIANTS!!

That's what I say.

R_of_G
January 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
GO GIANTS!!

That's what I say.

As a lifelong Jets fan, I never thought I'd say this, but I second your GO GIANTS Steve. I may hate the Giants, but not nearly as much as the Pats and their low-class coach.

sunvalleylaw
January 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
As a lifelong Jets fan, I never thought I'd say this, but I second your GO GIANTS Steve. I may hate the Giants, but not nearly as much as the Pats and their low-class coach.

Never actually rooted for the Giants much myself, and actually kinda liked the Pats a little way back when. This is more an anti Pat vote.

R_of_G
January 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Never actually rooted for the Giants much myself, and actually kinda liked the Pats a little way back when. This is more an anti Pat vote.

this will be the second time i've ever rooted for the giants. the first was the last time they played the Pats [when they showed that they can beat them].

Bloozcat
January 22nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
Well, I was rooting for Green Bay, but this was a game where I liked both teams. So, now it's GO GIANTS!

I don't like Belichick at all (for reasons known all too well to just strum), and I never cared for the Patriots in general. The Patriots are a great team and Belichick a great coach, but I'm pulling for the Giants.

Besides, long, long ago, before I became a Browns fan, I was a Giants fan first. Since I was born in New York, they were the first football team I knew.

Katastrophe
January 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM

You know, this was the first year I started wanting to watch the 'Boys play in a long time. I was hoping they went all the way this year.

Jerry Jones is still the devil, IMO. No offense meant to Mr. Jones or his family...:poke:

sunvalleylaw
February 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
GO GIANTS!!

That's what I say.

Bump! :D

tot_Ou_tard
February 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Holy f&ck Batman!!!

duhvoodooman
February 3rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
:dude: :bravo: :beer: YES!!!!!!!:beer: :bravo: :dude:

Spudman
February 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
So...what happened? ;)

just strum
February 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Unbelievable!!!

Congrats to all you Giants fans.:master:

One good game, one fantastic 4th quarter.

tot_Ou_tard
February 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
So...what happened? ;)
Pigs flew outta my @ss. :D

O & Tom Petty did the best d@mn halftime show ever ;).

Justaguyin_nc
February 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
GO GIANTS!!

That's what I say.

What a great game... Wild defense on the Giants side... :bravo:

Algonquin
February 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Pigs flew outta my @ss.
I missed the halftime show.

He didn't have a wardrobe malfunction did he? :D

oldguy
February 3rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
I just'a gotta say.............

WOW!!!!

What a great game!!!:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Told my wife........if Manning pulls this off.....it'll be history...it was....
great job by all......... almost spilled my beer when they made that last touchdown!
Petty and the Heartbreakers rawked, too........ loved that flying V stage set!!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Childbride
February 3rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
[grin] shiner and i spent the halftime show trying to watch headstocks and figure out the guitars. i spotted a jumbo on a stand about the second song in... pointed it out to shiner...

came out in the last song.

frankly, i really didn't have strong feelings one way or another until they showed a booth shot of peyton.

he kinda looks like my little brother, but with dark hair. [ok, they both do]

and he was rooting for his little brother.

kinda made me connect with the giants by proxy...

he and i have had to work a lot together to make things right in our family.

may everything fall on the Path Of The Beam.

k

tot_Ou_tard
February 3rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
[grin] shiner and i spent the halftime show trying to watch headstocks and figure out the guitars. i spotted a jumbo on a stand about the second song in... pointed it out to shiner...

Yeah, does anybody know the guitars that Mike Campbell played?

There was a blue guitar & a double-necked guitar. What were those?

Justaguyin_nc
February 3rd, 2008, 09:32 PM

I wondered the same...

http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BGWI&Product_Code=EG-DUES-DMC&Category_Code=EG-DUES

Nice geeetar...

Thought Petty did a great job...Nice rock and roll!!!

Hmmm anyone notice all those VOX amps....:)

But, the Giants even did better than Petty...:bravo:

pes_laul
February 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Im glad the giants one (with all due respect to patriots fans) cool halftime show. I know tom was playing a rickenbacker near the start. (I think)

duhvoodooman
February 3rd, 2008, 09:47 PM
+1. Best sound mix I've ever heard for a SB show! :bravo: :dude: :rockon:

sunvalleylaw
February 3rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
I wondered the same...

http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BGWI&Product_Code=EG-DUES-DMC&Category_Code=EG-DUES

Nice geeetar...

But, the Giants even did better than Petty...:bravo:

Great Game, great halftime show. I cannot believe how Eli pulled out of that tackle, and the "pin the football to your head" catch was just amazing too.! Re: Petty and the boys, I was watching all those Vox amps on Petty's recent Soundstage show on PBS that aired Friday before last. The second half is coming up this Fri here. Catch it if you can. Those guys still rock!

tot_Ou_tard
February 4th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I wondered the same...

Nice geeetar...

Thanks Justa. That is a sweet looking guitar.

Did they have those VOX's miked to the PA? I would think that they would have to.

They should've done the giant cheesegrater mods on them, however :rotflmao:.

R_of_G
February 4th, 2008, 07:54 AM
My thoughts... 58.5 minutes of the most boring super bowl in history, with a very exciting last minute and a half finish. i give props to eli for getting out of that tackle and getting the ball downfield but all the credit for that play should really go to tyree for the most incredible catch i've seen in a LONG time. all in all, i don;t care how exciting it was or wasn't just so long as the 'best team ever" crap has finally been put to bed.

as for the halftime show... i was actually a bit disappointed. i'm not the biggest petty fan, but i don't dislike them either. i thought the guitar solos were (a) boring two-or-three note repetitive weedlee-deedlee-weedlee musical masturbation, and (b) the guitarist used the double neck all for show. the first song he used it for he only played the top neck, the second only the bottom, meaning either song could have been played on a regular six string. this is the most gratuitous for show only use of a guitar since costner picked one up in bull durham and never played it. petty himself was fine.

just my thoughts. still PATRIOTS LOST!!!!! it's all that matters

Bloozcat
February 4th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I thought the game was settling into a bit of a boring contest as I watched the first half. It was looking like the Giants were going to blow it on offense. They kept running the same unimaginitive offensive plays, with the same results...not much. A field goal, and a lot of punts. The Giant defense was doing exactly what they needed to do - pressuring Brady with their four down linemen and an occasional blitz. Then came the fourth quarter...

When the Giants scored their go ahead touchdown, I thought that the Patriots would answer, and they did. The only question that would remain, was how much clock time and how many time outs would be left for Eli after they did. But like in a perfect script, Eli took the field with two and a half minutes on the clock and all three time outs, and the game on the line. Win or lose. How perfect. What every kid who has ever touched a footbal has ever dreamed about.

To watch the Giants move down the field in the fashion that they did on that final drive, made me forget how slow the first three quarters had been. It was nerve racking, and it was exciting. It was in the end, a classic game. The Giants defense stopped the Patriots time and again, and kept them in the game. Then when it was do or die, the young quarterback stepped up, brushed aside all of his critics, and led his team to the go ahead score. It was really quite fitting that it was the defense that sealed the victory in convincing fashion at the end. They played like few thought they would or could, and they should be proud of what they accomplished. The whole Giants team should be proud.

I know they made me happy....:AOK:

sunvalleylaw
February 4th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I saw only a little of the first half and just saw some of the great D, then our local cable went out for a while, fuzzing in just enough once in a while to see what was happening. I thought I jinxed it when I "bumped" my Go Giants post in the 3rd. Then the 4th quarter came! Wow! It was a true "gotta have faith" quarter.

duhvoodooman
February 4th, 2008, 10:28 AM

The blue one is a Duesenburg, as astutely pointed out by Justa. The double-neck was a custom-made Ferrington:

http://www.mattwolf.com/images/guitars/campbell.jpg

And IMO, just because he didn't play on both necks in the same song hardly renders Mike Campbell's peformance "the most gratuitous for show only use of a guitar since" whatever. Maybe he just likes the sound of that guitar and/or its use eliminated the need for another guitar switch. Sorry you didn't enjoy the Petty performance, R. Many of us did. What it may have lacked in hype and spectacle it made up for with great songs, great sound and a very professional performance by one of America's top bands. One man's opinion....

Bloozcat
February 4th, 2008, 10:30 AM
A few other side notes...

Before the game, Plaxico Burress had predicted that the Giants would win, 23-17. When a reporter mentioned this to Tom Brady, he scoffed and said: "Only 17 points? Give us some credit."

Well, Tom, it seems that Plaxico was wrong. You and the Patriots didn't score only 17 points...you only scored 14...

I thought that Tom Petty did a fantastic job with the halftime show. The music sounded great, and there wasn't any ridiculous and phony looking "dancing" around the stage by the extras. Just the way it should have been, about the music.

I thought the commercials for the most part were pretty pathetic. All that money and that's the best that most of them could come up with? I found the E-Trade ads with the baby to be the funniest.

I ate a lot of junk food, and drank a lot of wine. That's what you're supposed to do while watching the Super Bowl, isn't it...eat a lot of junk and drink a lot?

*Edited for accuracy*

Danzego
February 4th, 2008, 10:39 AM
My thoughts... 58.5 minutes of the most boring super bowl in history, with a very exciting last minute and a half finish. i give props to eli for getting out of that tackle and getting the ball downfield but all the credit for that play should really go to tyree for the most incredible catch i've seen in a LONG time. all in all, i don;t care how exciting it was or wasn't just so long as the 'best team ever" crap has finally been put to bed.

as for the halftime show... i was actually a bit disappointed. i'm not the biggest petty fan, but i don't dislike them either. i thought the guitar solos were (a) boring two-or-three note repetitive weedlee-deedlee-weedlee musical masturbation, and (b) the guitarist used the double neck all for show. the first song he used it for he only played the top neck, the second only the bottom, meaning either song could have been played on a regular six string. this is the most gratuitous for show only use of a guitar since costner picked one up in bull durham and never played it. petty himself was fine.

just my thoughts. still PATRIOTS LOST!!!!! it's all that matters

Oh, cmon....give credit where credit is due, all the way around. :)

1) Most QB's would have given up on that play and laid down over fear of getting hurt. You're talking about one of the guys with the least amount of padding on the field, surrounded by 300 pound monsters paid to make hamburger out of his hide. That was an amazing catch for such a crappy throw, but I'd say Eli Manning played a huge part in that, ermmm...play. :AOK:

2) IIRC, that guitarist was pretty much playing the solos note for note and if he actually did add anything, it wasn't much outside of what was already established by those songs years ago. Welcome to Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, where the solos generally ARE boring two-or-three note repetitive weedlee-deedlee-weedlee musical masturbation. ;)

3) Wait, that was the most gratuitous for show only use of a guitar you've ever seen? The Steve Vai's and Rick Nielsen's of the music world would like to have a word with you......and that's just for starters. :P

Justaguyin_nc
February 4th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I thought the commercials for the most part were pretty pathetic.

Now there I was disapointed... the commercials really did lack something for a superbowl game.. I guess my best pick would be Shaq riding the horse...:thwap:

Gotta add... I enjoyed the overhead view as Petty began.. the Heart with the flying V guitar comming around and slicing thru it.. pretty neat...

Just enough class and not to much flash... and agreed.. the sound was as good as it could get...

As for the game... Boring? I must admit, I do not watch Football much any more..
But seeing an 18-0 team held by a team that just made it into the playoffs.. most excellent.. the defense the Giants showed was what a football team is suppose to do.. hold the offense..
Welker did some good catches for the pats.. but giants kept holding their line..

Agreed 4th quarter was the game.. ain't that the way it suppose to be? :)
35 seconds left in the game.. touchdown.. what more can ya ask for..:master:

The best hit of the nite.. rookie Alford laying out Brady..
that kinda clinched it that Brady was not going anyplace that nite.
Man, Brady got hit alot!

The Manning Dynasty begins...:poke:

tot_Ou_tard
February 5th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I find that I like boring two-or-three note repetitive weedlee-deedlee-weedlee musical masturbation. ;)

Not to the exclusion of other styles, but a tasty bit of weedlee-deedlee-weedlee will do just fine.

O, & the music was good too :rotflmao: .

I was a heretic & missed about 1/3 of the show. I went down to the basement to play the guitar. Everytime I came up, I found that the scaore hadn't changed ;).

Nice ending though!

R_of_G
February 5th, 2008, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=Danzego]
2) IIRC, that guitarist was pretty much playing the solos note for note and if he actually did add anything, it wasn't much outside of what was already established by those songs years ago. Welcome to Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, where the solos generally ARE boring two-or-three note repetitive weedlee-deedlee-weedlee musical masturbation. ;)[QUOTE=Danzego]

Must make the documentary of their live show real exciting watching. Watch and hear our songs exactly as they are on the albums. I don't expect every band to jam out every song like the Allman Brothers or anything, but some variation live would be nice. Otherwise they're just jukeboxes.