PDA

View Full Version : Stars adopting children

Jimi75
January 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM
I do not know if I am alone with my opinion or if I am a little bit too sensitive, but the way that our "stars" adopt children really put me off.

To me adopting children should not be trendy nor shall it be devalued to "human shopping", but unfortunately some actors and musicians who got their pockets full of money play a little God and fairy.

Those people have so much money that they could easily build schools in these countries. It costs approx. 3 USD/month to allow an African child to go to school, to eat and to drink regularly!

Isn't it better to make it possible for these children to live in their familiar surroundings and to live a better live through the help of these so called "stars"?

It is unbelievable what poeple like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt do. This is pure delusion!

This all leaves a sour aftertaste - hail to those families that have already children on their own and decide out of humanity to adopt a child.

Danzego
January 21st, 2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah, but they don't want to build schools and have to pay to have them maintained, staffed, all of the children in them immunized, etc. etc. etc. (which, admittedly, would be quite expensive). They just want their child that they can take pictures with and hand off to the nanny when no cameras are around. :whatever:

Ok, maybe I shouldn't be judgmental. I mean, we really don't know how committed these stars really are to these children. But yeah, I've thought the same thing that it does seem a rather trendy thing to do.

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2008, 01:55 PM
thats a very good point Danzego.. maintaining....

I look at it in the child's eye... a chance... more than I am giving them...

Ok, now everyone raise their hands that pays that 3 a month... so I can thank you.

I can't say I can raise mine.. even though its that simple.. my bad..

So, I can't judge those that lend a helping hand.. no matter what their level in our society or their bankaccount is.. I know their being more helpful then I am.. hats off to them.. :AOK:

just strum
January 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM
I certainly wouldn't say any celebrity's shouldn't adopt, but the Madanna's act is old and just didn't sit well with me. Hell, I get pissed when they adopt a little dog so it can stick their head out their purse (Hilton). Hats off to Oprah for the school in Africa. The child abuse incident was unfortunate, but by no means her fault.

Back to topic - it's a tough call for who can and who can't adopt - much tougher than who should and who should not.

Guitar Gal
January 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM
I personally don't think it is a bad thing when celebrity's adopt children. However, I don't feel that Brad and Angelina for example, need to go to another country to find a child in need.

I see children every day who are abused and neglected and who live in horrendous conditions. Children who would thrive if given the right environment. IMO the main reason the "stars" adopt children in other countries is that it creates a media frenzy. No one would care if Brad and Angelina adopted a child from an agency in the USA, but it's BREAKING NEWS when they go to another country and adopt. Perhaps it's too much of a reality check to think we have such children in need in this country.

GG

Childbride
January 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM
i take no position about stars adopting children. however, i have to agree with GG on something very strongly.

there are children in this country who get horribly abused and neglected every day of their lives.

i try diligently to help them... children are my life's work. i wish there were more people sensitive to the people in their own towns and municipalities instead of somewhere else. grassroots... one child at a time.

Tone2TheBone
January 21st, 2008, 07:32 PM
I also agree with the girls. There is a lot of need in our own country. I'd like to see some of those kids get adopted.

Spudman
January 21st, 2008, 08:45 PM
What does it matter what country a child comes from? Sounds like everyone is a bit prejudice. A child has a chance at a decent life. Plain and simple. What does it matter where they were living? Why should it be your country? It sounds very self righteous to be angry that the child isn't from your country. We should just be thankful that a child is going to be cared for.

I'm sure that the adopting parents have really thought the whole thing through just as you are so sure they are doing it for "trendy" reasons. Rather than complain about it how about we all send some money or spend a little time and feed the world?

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4770&highlight=feed+the+world

Tone2TheBone
January 21st, 2008, 08:48 PM
Prejudice my ***. I'm agreeing that there are kids in our own country that have needs as well as other countries. What's wrong with that?

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM
We should just be thankful that a child is going to be cared for.

Amen to that.... bottom line and only line ....:beer:

hubberjub
January 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM
I have a cousin who is in the process of adopting a foreign child. From what I've heard it is almost impossible to find an infant for adoption in this country. That is why so many people are adopting from different overseas. It's also not cheap. The last time I spoke to my cousin it was over $60,000 for the whole process.

just strum
January 22nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
yep, I have a coworker doing the same and although I didn't pry, based on a comment or two, I think it's for the same reason as your cousin.

Bloozcat
January 24th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I have a jaded view of Hollywood/Media types in general. All to often they're self promoting, self agrandizing, and self indulgent. It's all about them and their image, because that's what makes them tick. Granted, they're not all like that, but far too many are.

All any of us can hope, is that they at least give these kids a good, loving home with lots of support. For many of these kids, what they have now is far better than what they had before, but that doesn't mean that it can't be better as well.

As to adopting foreign kids, I too am a little biased towards my own country and it's well being first. That's not being xenophobic of predjudiced towards foreigners, I just believe in taking care of your own backyard before worrying about someone else's. But, that's an opinion, and everyone is free to act on their own beliefs.

stingx
January 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I feel badly for all neglected children EVERYWHERE. Every neglected, discarded child is tomorrow's thief, rapist, and murderer. It truly sucks that not every child can enjoy what should be the best part of their lives. Anyone who helps a child in need is OK in my book regardless of motive. That's one less miserable child in the world. I sickens me to think how many lives could have been changed for the better worldwide with just the money that Bush has spent on the IRAQ and Afghanistan wars since 2001. It should sicken you too if you do the math.

You know if you put babies from all ethnicities into a room they will all happily play with one another. It's so sad how a life becomes jaded so quickly...

Danzego
January 24th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Every neglected, discarded child is tomorrow's thief, rapist, and murderer.

What a thing to say. Talk about "interesting" generalizations. :thwap:

stingx
January 24th, 2008, 01:45 PM
What a thing to say. Talk about "interesting" generalizations. :thwap:

Excuse me. I should have said potential.

And I'll say whatever I want. It's an open forum. You certainly do not have to agree with me and you can also keep your smartass remarks to yourself.

warren0728
January 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM

And I'll say whatever I want. It's an open forum. You certainly do not have to agree with me and you can also keep your smartass remarks to yourself.
true it is an open forum and you can say whatever you want....but you have to be prepared for the others on this forum to enjoy the same right without resorting to calling them names and such....and quite frankly it was quite a generalization....one of my best friends was deserted early in life...grew up in orphanages and is now one of the people i respect the most...because he made it through and became a heck of a good person...
go ahead...call me a name or cus at me....i don't mind :poke:

ww

Danzego
January 24th, 2008, 04:09 PM

First, ANY person is a potential murderer, thief, or rapist. You're still trucking with the generalization here. Second, as was already pointed out by yourself and another, it's an open forum. You're right, I DON'T have to agree with you and, well, I'm NOT. Especially with what you said.

Finally, I'm not making a "smartass remark". I'm highlighting your ridiculous comment. It's so far off base, I didn't (and still don't) even care to get into a detailed discussion about it; just highlighting it. I have no apologies for doing so, just as you have none for making such a comment. *shrugs shoulders*

just strum
January 24th, 2008, 04:59 PM
go ahead...call me a name or cus at me....i don't mind :poke:

ww

Why you, you, you, ahh, you make, make, ahh, you should, should, should

Oh forget it, you are too nice of a guy.

To stingx and Danzego, I left a forum that was ruined by a little brush fire that became a forest fire. I'm not taking sides, but I think it's more a case of not choosing the right words to make your points. IMHO.

Now if you want to yell at me, take it out on Warren instead.:D

stingx
January 24th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Strum, donut worry. We cannot always agree on everything but I also know when to cease and desist :beer: I'm not here to argue nor to make someone agree with my views. I thought the person who first replied to my reply was being a little snippy but then again inflection is hard to determine in written form. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program....

just strum
January 24th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Strum, donut worry. We cannot always agree on everything but I also know when to cease and desist :beer: I'm not here to argue nor to make someone agree with my views. I thought the person who first replied to my reply was being a little snippy but then again inflection is hard to determine in written form. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program....
:AOK:

luvmyshiner
January 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Now if you want to yell at me, take it out on Warren instead.:D

No way dude! I like Warren. You on the other hand are a worthless, no good, low down, sheep humping, (hmm, how come we don't have a smilie that yawns? Oh well, just insert a bunch more bad names here).:poke:

Oh, and your guitars suck. Ok, I think I stepped over the line there. I apologize Strum, your guitars don't suck.:D

warren0728
January 24th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I'm not here to argue nor to make someone agree with my views. I thought the person who first replied to my reply was being a little snippy but then again inflection is hard to determine in written form.
you determined correctly....i was being a bit snippy....just didn't like your comment about "keeping your smart-*** comments to yourself"

this is the only forum i consistently post to because we rarely stoop to that kind of "talk".

let's just move on....nothing to see here folks....i think i'll go make some pancakes :pancake:

ww

just strum
January 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM
No way dude! I like Warren. You on the other hand are a worthless, no good, low down, sheep humping, (hmm, how come we don't have a smilie that yawns? Oh well, just insert a bunch more bad names here).:poke:

Oh, and your guitars suck. Ok, I think I stepped over the line there. I apologize Strum, your guitars don't suck.:D

Grumpy? Beer supply run out?

luvmyshiner
January 24th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Grumpy? Beer supply run out?

Sorry Strum, I just found out the price of beer is going up in Texas. Since the kids have moved out, I had to take my frustrations out on someone. I sleep with CB that ruled her out. You were next on the list.:AOK:

Spudman
January 24th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Sorry Strum, I just found out the price of beer is going up in Texas. Since the kids have moved out, I had to take my frustrations out on someone. I sleep with CB that ruled her out. You were next on the list.:AOK:

You're going to start sleeping with Strum? I can see an adoption coming out of that. :pancake:

just strum
January 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM
You're going to start sleeping with Strum? I can see an adoption coming out of that. :pancake:

I figured someone would catch that. Great Shiner, we've been outed. Pack up the bags, time to move on.

Childbride
January 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM
nahhh... strum, i'll adopt you... the banter around the house would be similar to that when his son is around. animal house on steroids. :D

what kind of guitar would you like for your bday, son?!:D :rotflmao:

just strum
January 24th, 2008, 06:51 PM
nahhh... strum, i'll adopt you...

what kind of guitar would you like for your bday, son?!:D :rotflmao:

I'm not sure, but I just did a mapquest and I will tell you face to face in 19 hours and 49 minutes. That's a nonstop drive, so I may need to use the bathroom when I get there.

luvmyshiner
January 24th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Oh lord, look what I've done now. I finally get the kids out and now I have another one to feed? I guess this means I have to give up the bedroom I've been turning into a "guitar" room for the last year and half??????:thwap:

No way Strum, you're sleepin' in the backyard with the dog.:cool:

Childbride
January 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM
[laugh]

ok, your choice of two bedrooms, see which kid-by-proxy you want to put out. also your own bath. free use of my guitars [and possibly the amps, we'll have to negot with shiner on that one]

your bday isn't for a couple of months yet, so i'll start petitioning the boss for a raise. ;)