PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Strat, annoying fret issue

Danzego
January 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hey gents. Last week, I picked up a MIM Strat Standard. Upon bringing it home and playing unplugged, I noticed that I get a lot of grinding against the frets on the B and high E strings when bending (and I bend a lot). I figured it was just a new guitar thing and after a few days, the strings would wear in the top of the frets and all would be well.

However, I'm still having this problem. Examining the tops of the frets, I've noticed a lot of little "divets" in them (running horizontal against the fret; same direction as the string). I don't think they're necessarily being created by the strings; I'm assuming they've been there all along since the grinding has been there since I bought 'er. When doing bends, I guess it would be like traveling along speed bumps.

So, like, what do I do about these? I've never experienced this on any other guitar I bought new and would hate to dump more money into it since, well....it's supposed to be a new guitar (straight out of the box, matter of fact).

Plank_Spanker
January 21st, 2008, 02:13 PM
Sure sounds like playing wear from here............the guitar is new? The guitar could also have been jostled pretty badly in the box with the strings denting the frets.

The fix is a fret dressing, but since that guitar is brand new, I'd take it up with the store you bought it from first.

Sblack
January 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM
Hey gents. Last week, I picked up a MIM Strat Standard. Upon bringing it home and playing unplugged, I noticed that I get a lot of grinding against the frets on the B and high E strings when bending (and I bend a lot). I figured it was just a new guitar thing and after a few days, the strings would wear in the top of the frets and all would be well.

However, I'm still having this problem. Examining the tops of the frets, I've noticed a lot of little "divets" in them (running horizontal against the fret; same direction as the string). I don't think they're necessarily being created by the strings; I'm assuming they've been there all along since the grinding has been there since I bought 'er. When doing bends, I guess it would be like traveling along speed bumps.

So, like, what do I do about these? I've never experienced this on any other guitar I bought new and would hate to dump more money into it since, well....it's supposed to be a new guitar (straight out of the box, matter of fact).

Luckily this is an easy fix.

Remove strings.

Put masking tape on the side of each fret, exposing only the frets.

Get 00000 grade steel wool (at any Home Depot) and ball up a tiny piece.

Run that tiny balled up steel wool back and forth evenly across each fret until you get a smooth shine. This may take 20-30 passes.
Restring, stretch strings, and tune guitar.

No more rough frets.

Plank_Spanker
January 21st, 2008, 02:34 PM
Sort of looks to me like more than a fret polishing..................

Polishing will not fix the "divets" Danzego is seeing and feeling on the frets.

Need pics! :D

ted s
January 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM
I had that kind of thing going on my Turser Strat from new, I went over the frets with I think it was 800 grit paper, turned out fine. I didn't have divots, more like heavy scratches.

Danzego
January 21st, 2008, 04:22 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/littleelf/fret%20divets%20fret%205%20and%206.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/littleelf/19th%20fret%20low%20E.jpg

Perhaps "divets" can be too strong of a term or at least evokes too strong of an image. But here's a couple pics and that first one really makes the fret looks like it has rocky crags, more than anything, huh? ;) To the unaided eye, it looks more like scratching (some deeper than others, but if anything, that definitely shows me that my idea of it smoothing out over time was misguided. That's at the 5th and 6th fret on the high side, btw. The other picture is around the 17th to 19th fret on the low string side. Keep in mind that the lighting in the picture lets you see it most at just the edge of the fret, where the problem is the worst, but there's enough along the frets themselves to gain my attention in the first place (goes back to the whole grinding issue).

I do find it interesting that I've never had a problem that I've noticed on any of my other guitars (I did check them and from the cheapo BC Rich Mockingbird on up, none of them have anything more than the occasional ding here and there), but here's this brand new, out of the box Fender and I'm grinding strings across the frets due to this. Is this really more common than I'm making it out to be or should I be heading over to the store to grab a different one?

ted s
January 21st, 2008, 04:46 PM
Geez Danz, it's brand new ? I would take it back. I would think they should replace it or make it right, that's not too much to expect.
Be sure to let us know.

Danzego
January 21st, 2008, 05:13 PM
Yes, brand new. As in "pulled it out of the sealed box and handed it to me" new. I checked it to see that everything worked, how it played, and checked for dead spots on the neck. I certainly didn't think to look at the frets to make sure they didn't have that going on as I haven't seen it before on any of my other guitars.

But then here's a question: how does that happen to begin with? The direction of the "scratches" seems to imply it being from the string, but then if it is, how cruddy would the fret wire have to be to begin with? More importantly, is this going to happen to any MIM Strat I replace it with, whether it be a Standard, Lonestar, or Deluxe Players (the three models I was weighing between to begin with)?

ted s
January 21st, 2008, 05:49 PM
Good questions but I have no input on that one.
If it's any consolation, my MIM Tele didn't have any issues like that (or any others)

just strum
January 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
No expert here, but I would say they are tool marks from someone tapping in the frets. Based on the pictures, they appear to be on the ends of the frets - no further in than the 2nd and 5th string. Someone either had a crappy tool or some piece of equipment needed some maintenance.

kiteman
January 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM
I don't think it came from the strings. They look like tool marks and crappy job at that.

Take it back.

Danzego
January 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM
After reading what you said, strum, I did just sight up the frets and yeah, the problem centers around the ends of the frets and moving in towards the 2nd and 5th string (though a bit further in a few cases). I hate to do it since I'm starting to become attached to the guitar- I'm sure most people here know how it is- but I'm going to swing over to the store and swap it out tonight. Either that or use it as credit towards a different Strat, if they haven't gotten any new ones in since I bought it (I got the last one that wasn't a floor model).

M29
January 21st, 2008, 06:49 PM
Hello Danzego,

I think I would take it back as well. they should not be that bad on a new guitar. It appears to me like some of the frets are flat in some areas too. This would require a crowning and dressing after that. Now you are talking good money that should not have to be spent on a new guitar. In getting it all leveled out you will not have a new guitar any longer.

M29

sunvalleylaw
January 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah, take it back.

duhvoodooman
January 21st, 2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah, take it back.
+1. That just ain't right.

just strum
January 21st, 2008, 07:21 PM
I think he's headed to the store already, it will be interesting to see how this ends.

Sblack
January 21st, 2008, 07:47 PM
After looking at the pictures, taking it back is your best choice. It looks like that one got through QC somehow.

oldguy
January 21st, 2008, 08:48 PM
Hope he gets it exchanged or a refund.
No way that should have gotten past final inspection.:mad:

mrmudcat
January 21st, 2008, 10:17 PM
100% agree with everyone.Take it back.Those are tooling marks as suggested and indeed the pictures show what appears to be a flat spot on atleast one fret. You shouldnt need to do a fret job on a new guitar.:thwap:

I am surprised/disappointed because Q.C. has improved in my opinion overall with fender:whatever:

Danzego
January 22nd, 2008, 12:30 AM
The guitar still had the build/inspection tag on it, so I have the name of all of the culprits. In the end though, you can blame Juan and his "final inspection" letting it get through the factory door. Now that I know it was Juan, I can take a trip to Mexico and track him down. I figure I'll cross the border and start asking around for him. :punch:

Anyway, I wasn't worried about being able to return it. Guitar Center (yes...I shop there) has a pretty good return policy and I just got it last week. Just to be secure in myself, I looked at a couple of other Fender's on the sales floor and didn't see any with the same problem.

Whatever the case, I was doing another comparison between the three I originally wanted and decided to get a Lonestar Strat. It was close between getting another Standard or a Lonestar, while the Deluxe Players fell out of the running very early; I just don't like the neck and the sound. I ultimately chose the Lonestar because of better pickup clarity with the Texas Specials and Pearly Gates 'bucker, which is what I was thinking of eventually throwing into the Standard. May as well have them in there to begin with since that will actually be cheaper in the end. Unfortunately, no store in the entire region had a sunburst in stock, so they had to do a special order straight from Fender.

I'm cool wit' dat, even if it takes a couple of weeks. So long as Juan isn't the final inspector this time.

Plank_Spanker
January 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
A Lonestar, aye?

Excellent choice! :AOK:

That Pearly Gates with the Texas Specials is an awesome pickup combo.

Danzego
January 22nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
I agree. ;)

I really didn't get a chance to play the Standard plugged in the week I had it, but in checking one out at the store, I actually really enjoyed the Standard and the versatility in sound it offered. I can see picking up another Standard some day and leaving it stock, at least for a while. But yeah, that Lonestar just had much more clarity (a crisper sound than the Standard) and the Pearly Gates sounded way better than the cruddy stock humbucker in the Standard (the one thing about the Standard I don't care for).

But hey, thanks a lot guys for all of your input on that fret issue. I posted the problem and within a few hours, I was out the door to exchange it. What a timely bunch you are. :AOK:

mrmudcat
January 22nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
If I wasnt having another carvin being built I would be on that....oh well ill put it on the list .....ya know the list:thwap: :whatever: :beer:

LowEndWonder
January 27th, 2008, 08:31 AM
If that guitar is "Out of the Box New" there is no excuse for the problem. If it was a demo or wall model, it's from people playing it. In either case, take it back and get a new one. Don't put a penny into it!

oldguy
January 27th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Whatever the case, I was doing another comparison between the three I originally wanted and decided to get a Lonestar Strat. It was close between getting another Standard or a Lonestar, while the Deluxe Players fell out of the running very early; I just don't like the neck and the sound. I ultimately chose the Lonestar because of better pickup clarity with the Texas Specials and Pearly Gates 'bucker, which is what I was thinking of eventually throwing into the Standard. May as well have them in there to begin with since that will actually be cheaper in the end. Unfortunately, no store in the entire region had a sunburst in stock, so they had to do a special order straight from Fender.

I'm cool wit' dat, even if it takes a couple of weeks. So long as Juan isn't the final inspector this time.

That Lonestar Strat sounds sweet. If you did that return on the 22nd, you should be getting the LS in a week or so, right?
We'd sure like to see some pics of that one when it comes in.......:D :D :D
Sounds like the Standard may have been one isolated instance (let's hope so).
Congrats on the new Lonestar!:AOK:

Axis
February 1st, 2008, 10:39 PM
If you really dig the guitar, and you can't get satisfaction from the store you bought it from, I say get the fret(s) replaced from a reliable guitar tech.
The key is having the tech check all your frets especially in the higher registers so none are missed. Also beware of MEDIUM strings, they're great for tone but eat frets.

Danzego
February 2nd, 2008, 04:24 AM
Nah, I got satisfaction just fine. Like I posted earlier, I got it from Guitar Center and they have a good return policy. I walked in, showed them the problem, and I was off looking at other guitars within a minute. That's why I go there- a good return policy. I'd rather support the mom and pop type shops, but they just don't have the ability to do that sort of thing, the prices are usually higher (which, as a full time college student, is important to me) and, frankly, I just haven't had the greatest experiences with small music store operations in the past. :shrugs shoulders:

Whatever the case....oldguy, I actually haven't gotten the Lonestar yet, believe it or not. When the GC dude ordered direct from Fender, he supposed it should take around 10 business days (as he said "You just know they're sitting on a stack of them over at the company"). However, upon seeing them out of stock and not scheduled to be in until March 1st on GC's website, I called in the middle of this week to get an ETA and it seems Fender ships in lots. Meaning that March 1st date also unfortunately applies for me. :thwap:

Dang, that was supposed to be my birthday guitar. Unless it magically appears by Monday (which isn't going to happen), I guess it'll be a belated birthday guitar. :(

mrmudcat
February 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Good things come for those that wait!

Wait...................Wait....................... .................................................w ait..............................:bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake:

See I told ya! Hang in there brother.

Danzego
February 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
*laughs*

Ohhh, little yellow butts. You're so right, muddy; I sure learned my lesson, here. ;)

Yeah, at this point, I don't have much choice but to wait. The Lonestar is what I want and I have credit at GC, so I'm at their mercy. I mean, I would consider saving up more in the meantime and moving to a bit higher of a guitar, but there's only two Strat choices I see between $600 and a grand:

1) the US Standard- $1000 for the Standard is too rich for my blood (I can get the Lonestar AND a Blues Jr with that kind of money)
2)The Highway One- those scare me with their nitrocellulose finish. I hear the finish wears really quickly, giving them that "vintage" look...or the old, crusty, found it at a garage sale look, depending on how you view it. Unless my facts are wrong with that, which I'll put out there that I'm open to suggestion otherwise. ;)