PDA

View Full Version : In a rutt??

fastfoot
January 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been in a rut lately. I been trying to go through all my mags & tabs to find something to get me going again. Does any one have any quick fixes I can learn for inspiration and rythm again??

thanks,
fastfoot

Plank_Spanker
January 21st, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been in a rut lately. I been trying to go through all my mags & tabs to find something to get me going again. Does any one have any quick fixes I can learn for inspiration and rythm again??

thanks,
fastfoot

Quick fix?

Walk away from it for a few days. Beating your head harder into the wall just increases the pain.

Take a break. The fire to play will return and it will be fresh again.

It happens to everyone....................

Iago
January 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM
Take a break, go read a book, watch a movie, listen to different styles of music!

Adrian30
January 21st, 2008, 03:01 PM
+1 for what was said above.
However, just in case that you don't feel like taking a break: try browsing the tab & chord websites (such as www.ultimate-guitar.com or others). You may "rediscover" a song that you'll enjoy learning. It often works for me, especially in times of lower motivation.

sunvalleylaw
January 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
Those ideas sound great, and search "rut" here and you will find it happens to the best of us, and find some great ideas that have already been shared.

ted s
January 21st, 2008, 03:59 PM
Maybe think about trying out some of the jam tracks the fellers have posted lately.

aeolian
January 21st, 2008, 04:03 PM
There is no sure-fire way to get motivated again; I quit playing for a stretch of 10 years from the mid-1980s to mid-1990s.

Are you listening to music? If you are, you can try to learn something you are listening to, but haven't learn how to play yet. If you find the particular piece interesting to listen to, it is probably interesting to play too.

just strum
January 21st, 2008, 04:44 PM
I advocate just the opposite and say don't walk away. For me it's realizing that it's just part of playing and embrace the challenge of getting out of the rut. Go back and practice old stuff, go forward and give yourself a new challenge.

My way isn't a sure fire cure, because there is no cure, the ruts will come and go.

cherokee747
January 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM
Just an old trick that always worked for me.For a couple days mess with a different genre of what you usually play.Myself Blues and Blues Rock, Then I'dfind myself gettin toasty and mess with some Jazz, Jazz fusion type backing tracks to jam to and return to my love and have new ideas aplenty.Hope this helps!!

Spudman
January 21st, 2008, 10:33 PM
Step out of your old box and learn melodies from Sinatra tunes or some advertising jingles. Just do something that you haven't done before. Even if you don't feel like playing if you focus on learning something different during this phase when you come back into your groove again you'll have learned some new ideas to implement. And you'll be positively occupied so you won't notice the rut.

If you just put the guitar down you accomplish nothing, but when it's over you'll be coming back and doing the same old things that got you into the rut in the first place.

LowEndWonder
January 31st, 2008, 10:22 AM
Give it a break for about a week, then come back fresh and eager. :AOK: