PDA

View Full Version : Lil' Charlie and the Nightcats

sunvalleylaw
January 21st, 2008, 08:48 PM
These guys popped up on the iPod tonight. They are pretty darn fun! The guitar is a bit back in the mix for my taste, but it sure has some tasty tele sounds.

yF2jfoAisRQ

More guitar in this clip.

Apx_bASwlWM

oldguy
January 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM
I like them alot. Been hearing them on Sirius on the blues station for around two years. "Real Love" is a good one, funny, yet rotten. :D

sunvalleylaw
January 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah, that and "That's Big!" That is the title track to the CD I have.

piebaldpython
January 23rd, 2008, 01:12 AM
I have 4 of their CD's. Witty and insightful, they put out their own special brand of West Coast jump blues. Lil Charlie Baty is a damn good guitar player. Very understated and underrated. Check out their LIVE cd.

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Are you sure that isn't Tone in the first clip singing

"...I sure hate to...hurry up n' wait"?

Good stuff, thanks Steve!

piebaldpythonbootsaretootight,

I keep hearing the phrase West Coast Blues. What does that mean?

sunvalleylaw
January 25th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I am not sure I can fully answer, but I think it has to do with a "jump" style of blues that came about on the west coast in the mid 20th century.

sunvalleylaw
January 25th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Turns out I was pretty right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_blues

Also, jazz influences are present in the guitar solos. Came about in the 40's.

sunvalleylaw
January 25th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I have 4 of their CD's. Witty and insightful, they put out their own special brand of West Coast jump blues. Lil Charlie Baty is a damn good guitar player. Very understated and underrated. Check out their LIVE cd.

Will do! I only have the one so far.

piebaldpython
January 25th, 2008, 01:25 AM
TOT,...yeah, SVL pretty much nailed "West Coast Blues" earlier.......lots of jazzy phrasing or glissing over an "idea" as opposed to going down and gettin' dirty Texas style.......Rusty Zinn, Kid Ramos are proponents of that style too

tot_Ou_tard
January 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks Sun & pie. I gotta check me out some of it!