PDA

View Full Version : PRS Paul Reed Smith

Spudman
January 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM
I spent some time this afternoon playing PRS guitars in the $2,500 to $5,000 price range. The standout was the semi hollow body. How did it stand out? It was over priced and wasn't that spectacular, but acoustically it sounded pretty alive more so than any of the other models.

Then I played the new SE series import PRS and I liked them better. They felt better neck wise and action wise and the general acoustic tone was virtually no different than their more expensive brethren.

I've played at least 25 new PRS guitars in stores now and have to say that I am completely unimpressed. For the same money you can custom order a Jet guitar (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3908&highlight=jet+guitars).

Some expensive gear is really nice and some is just ho hum. I'll file PRS under ho hum and hopefully save anyone some GAS pains.

duhvoodooman
January 21st, 2008, 09:24 PM
If I get the PRS-style guitar itch in a serious way, I'll scratch it with a Carvin Cali Carved Top CT6 (https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=ct6). Custom made to order, with all the bells & whistles you could want for well under $2K.

hubberjub
January 21st, 2008, 09:36 PM
A CNC machine is a CNC machine no matter what country it's set up in. PRS use to mean a nice handmade guitar. Now it's just an overpriced machine computer carved chunk of wood. So are Gibson and Fender. Advertising means more than quality anymore. Does anyone remember when Blue Moon beer was good. Along comes Coors who buys it and changes the recipie and now we've got the cloudy silver bullet that leaves you with a horrible case of gas in the morning. (Not the good kind of gas.) Thank goodness for Hoegaarden.

Robert
January 21st, 2008, 11:03 PM
:AOK: for Hoegaarden and cheapo PRS SE!

Danzego
January 22nd, 2008, 12:41 AM
I've really wanted to try out one of those cheaper PRS's for a while now, but every time I'm at the geetar store, there are none to be found within reach. They must be keeping them over by the other PRS's, which are ceiling height. I feel bad asking someone to go all the way to get a ladder and get up on it just to pull down a $500 guitar and then hang it back up there.

I will someday, though. :)

Jimi75
January 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM
I am still quite unimpressed with PRS. Played long hours on the PRS that belongs to a good friend of mine, it's a CE22. Sorry Paul, but this guitar isn't very impressive.

I have checked so far the PRS SE Tremonti - very muddy sounding, not my deal. Furthermore I have played the SE Single Cut, but honestly for that money I buy the original Gibson Nashville Les Pual Junior. The single cut was so and so, not very convincing.

duhvoodooman
January 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
I feel bad asking someone to go all the way to get a ladder and get up on it just to pull down a $500 guitar and then hang it back up there.
Do it. That's what they're there for! :dude:

Danzego
January 22nd, 2008, 11:25 AM
*sheepishly* But...but....but they look like they're having so much FUN sitting there, hanging out and chatting with their coworkers!!;)