PDA

View Full Version : Godin SD

tot_Ou_tard
January 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
I've been bonding with my Godin SD. The neck is fantastic & the body & neck vibrate while playing.

It's an HSS strat-style, but with a few twists

1) It got a Gibby style short-scale.
2) The body is Silver leaf maple with poplar wings.

You would think it'd be bright with the maple body, but according to Godin the silver leaf maple is similar to mahogany in terms of tone & indeed the neck pup is warm & bluesy. The bridge humbucker, however, is bright in a good way. You can get a nice country sound on it or in tandem with the middle single coil if you wish.

The poplar is to lighten the ax as the silver leaf maple is heavy.

The Gibby scale makes it incredibly easy to bend & it plays like the proverbial butter. It has a nice low end.

It doesn't do some of the things that strats do, but it really isn't one & I don't wish that it was. It does it's own thing well & only cost me ~$175.
Mine has a beautiful bird's eye maple board.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinsdp.htm

ted s
January 22nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Nice Tot, cant beat that eh !?

street music
February 23rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
I have a Godin Detour that is the best feeling electric that I have ever owned.
It is H-H and I did change the pups out to GFS Memphis for a really great blues and classic sound through my Fender Princeton amp. I think GODIN is the most overlooked brand on the market in US. They have a great quality product and fantastic sound. I want to get another Godin with with 3-single pickups sometime in the future.

tot_Ou_tard
February 23rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
Nice to finally have someone else who appreciates Godin guitars street!

I have a Godin Radiator as well. I love that guitar.

aeolian
February 23rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
I bought a Godin ST-IV used in 1998 or so. It has SSH and has a big-leaf maple body. It doesn't sound overly bright either. It actually is one of the best playing guitars I have, and I have some fine playing ones.

tot_Ou_tard
February 23rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
I bought a Godin ST-IV used in 1998 or so. It has SSH and has a big-leaf maple body. It doesn't sound overly bright either. It actually is one of the best playing guitars I have, and I have some fine playing ones.
Oh yeah, I forgot that you've mentioned your ST-IV before.

My two Godins are my only guitars, so they are certainly the best playing guitars that I have ;).

forgivenick
December 8th, 2009, 12:52 AM
How do they make such an awesome guitar with such a playable neck for less than the price of a MIM Strat?

street music
December 8th, 2009, 05:49 AM
They are raising their prices now that people realize what a great guitar they make.