PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a Vox AD60VTX?

Lawless33
March 23rd, 2006, 08:00 AM
Hey, guys and gals! In the last couple of months, I plopped down the $799 for a Vox AD60VTX...I've only used it so far at church in the praise team. I haven't direct recorded to my pc with it yet. Just wondered if anyone else had this specific model, as I was looking to trade some "tweaking secrets" from people with more knowledge than myself. Give me a shout back if you do have one. Thanks!

Wes

duhvoodooman
March 23rd, 2006, 09:24 AM
Nice amp there, Wes. I don't know if anybody else here has one of the high-end Valvetronix amps, but there are a bunch of us with the cheaper AD15-30-50VT models. Probably the best place to get that info is going to be the VOX forum sites, where you've already been.

Just a couple of comments from my use/experience with my AD30VT so far (had it since Christmas time). Since I'm mostly a blues/classic rock player, I tend to stay with the older/cleaner amp models. I particularly like the Black 2x12, Tweed 4x10, Boutique CL, AC30TB and UK 70's/80's models. For effects, I tend to stick mostly with straight reverb and compression, with occasional use of chorus, delay, and rotary reverb. Effects is one area where your amp has W-A-A-A-y more flexibility, because you can combine multiple effects simultaneously, where we ADxxVT owners can only use one effect setting at a time (though several are dual effects, like chorus/delay). But I rarely delve into the hi-gain models or use some of the more radical effects like the flanger and phaser. Nothing wrong with them, just a personal preference thing.

One thing that I have found very useful for the type of music I like to play was to get a good overdrive pedal for use with the cleaner amp models, e.g. the Black 2x12 and the Boutique CL. It's very tough to get much of an overdriven tone with these models (at least without raising the roof off my home), so such a pedal is great for getting a little dirt in my tone. I've been using a Digitech Tone Driver for this purpose, and have been really pleased with it. Another Digitech OD pedal, the Bad Monkey, has several ardent supporters here. But I believe the AD60VTX has OD pedal capability built into it, so you probably won't need these external pedals.

Additionally, I picked up a used Dunlop Crybaby wah pedal (the AD30VT's autowah effect is of very limited usefulness, IMO) and a cheap little Behringer 7-band EQ pedal for more tone-shaping control than the tone stack on the AD30VT affords.

I'm sure you'll love the AD60VTX, based upon the glowing comments I've read from some other owners. The biggest problem seems to be that it's easy to be overwhelmed by the almost endless choice of combinations it offers!

BTW, love your choice of verses there. Actually, when I first saw your forum name along with your avatar and the quote from Philippians, I though perhaps "Lawless" was a reference to Paul's writings in Romans about how the grace of Christ has freed us from slavery to the Law, in the old Hebrew sense of the word. Didn't realize it was your middle name! :D

Lawless33
March 23rd, 2006, 09:41 AM
Heyya, DVD! The only 2 negatives that I see with the AD60VTX are:
1) a lack of cabinet sims (but I'm sure the NEODOG does fine)
2) you can use chorus, reverb and delay together along with only ONE pedal effect such as compression, tube overdrive, univibe, wah, etc. Sure would be nice to be able to use more than one of them at a time like most of the other modeling amps out there..but I guess it will have to do:)

I've been pleased with it so far, but this is my first real "playing on stage" kinda thing...so my gigging ear is still pretty ignorant when it comes to a lot of things. I did, however experiment with running an external EQ pedal through the effects loop as recommended by Voxman at the Valvetronix site. Definitely more flexibility that way:) Thanks for the post!

Wes

Tim
March 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
I am surprised the VooDoo did not mention the Valvetronics website. There are 59 presets uploaded onto the forum. There are nine you can actually listen to.

Here is the website. http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/AD60-120VT-VTX-VTH/model_2_date_3.html

Lawless33
March 23rd, 2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks, Tim...I actually signed up at that site and the Patchtronix site a few weeks ago. The hardest thing is, trying to get the same sound as in the audio clips when you have a different guitar, different pickups, etc. And I might be THE world's worst when it comes to tweaking. I guess it doesn't help that I keep leaving my amp at church and not fiddling with it at home!:)