PDA

View Full Version : I've fallen in love with my amp again!

abraxas
January 23rd, 2008, 06:31 AM
Late last year, I decided to sell my 1X12" cabinet and order a 2X12" in it's place.

My cabinet was a large open back, made of solid pine. I had an Eminence Red Fang in it. I had high hopes that it could serve me right, for the variety of styles that I play, but, unfortunately, this wasn't the case...

The cabinet was almost perfect for some styles, but left much to be desired for others... I felt that it was actually "competing" with my amp and didn't left it a lot of "expression" room...

The cabinet I finally got is this one:

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/product_info.php/info/p1816_TT-Brit-American-Speaker-Cab-2-12-.html

and I selected the open/closed back option (i.e. a removable back panel).

It has a Celestion V30 and a Celestion G12H, both 16Ω, wired in parallel for 8Ω total impedance.

After a few weeks playing and "breaking in" the speakers, I can only say that I have "rediscovered" what my amp can do! Oh, by the way, the amp is this little fella:

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_UniValve.html

Gorgeous, full sound, great playing sensitivity and clarity. I now understand first hand why the mismatched speaker option is a favorite of many amp makers. And these speakers are made to work together, I believe.

I currently have a tube setup on the amp that can produce any sound I can find useful, some of them so beautiful that I feel like crying! :master: Specifically, I have a Golden Dragon 12AX7 at V1, a NOS Phillips 5751 at V2 (something like that one: http://thetubestore.com/sylvania5751.html ) and a NOS Sylvania 6L6GA at the power section (http://www.kcanostubes.com/products/123/NOS-JAN-Sylvania-6L6GA-Single.htm). I run the power tube at low voltage (about 300-320 Volts) and the result is a smooth, full and potentially creamy tone with complex harmonics and great note definition.

I'm a (tonally) happy man! :D

SuperSwede
January 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Sweet! I havent had the chance to try out one of those THD amps but they sure seems nice!

Have you tried to connect the cab to your TM10?

oldguy
January 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
Those Celestions are exactly what I have in my Avatar cab, and wired the same. I've always loved the sound of that combo of Celestions.
Like SuperSwede, I've never played, or even heard one of the THD amps, but I understand they are absolutely killer, tone to die for.

piebaldpython
January 23rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Oops!!

abraxas
January 23rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Have you tried to connect the cab to your TM10?

Oh yes! In fact it was the first thing I did immediately after I put the cab together!

I bet you know how "large" this tiny amp can sound, if you feed it to an appropriate cabinet! In fact it was really impossible to stay in the room for some time without earplugs.

Of course, the great shock for me was back when I first got the TM10. I had a Mesa Boogie Thiele 1X12" cabinet, with the venerable EV12L speaker, the famous 200W+ monster.

Upon playing a power chord through the cabinet, I could have sworn something cracked on the opposite wall! :D You see, this cabinet had extreme projection and bass response!

Those Celestions are exactly what I have in my Avatar cab, and wired the same. I've always loved the sound of that combo of Celestions.
Like SuperSwede, I've never played, or even heard one of the THD amps, but I understand they are absolutely killer, tone to die for.

Yeap, the Avatar (and official THD) cabs were my inspiration for this project.

As for THD amps, look.

The Univalve is very musical, very distinctive amp which has either devoted fans or sworn enemies! If you read reviews on harmony central, you will read things about how "harsh" it sometimes sounds and such.

The sad truth is, it is a very "difficult" amp compared to the "plug and play" simplicity of the amps some people are used to. With my old cabinet, I couldn't get the tone I wanted and it started to disappoint me... Also, even tiny changes on the eq may drastically alter the final result; not to mention tube choices... Finally, it is brutally transparent and direct, you don't play in a sloppy manner and don't overplay when on a Uni; it will pull your pants down and ridicule you without hesitation. In that sense, it is a lot like a bare bones Lotus Elise: a great, great car, but you have to respect it and drive it like the car it is. ;)

The Flexi and most probably the Bivalve, are more "instant gratification", mainly because their basic "color" is closer to other known amps. That said, I had my sights on a Flexi on ebay, which was sold for peanuts... regrettably I had some financial obligations at the time... Still, I have my eyes peeled for a used one in a good price!

Definitely play them if you have the chance, but keep in mind the above (esp. for the Uni). ;)

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Oh yes! In fact it was the first thing I did immediately after I put the cab together!

I bet you know how "large" this tiny amp can sound, if you feed it to an appropriate cabinet! In fact it was really impossible to stay in the room for some time without earplugs.

Of course, the great shock for me was back when I first got the TM10. I had a Mesa Boogie Thiele 1X12" cabinet, with the venerable EV12L speaker, the famous 200W+ monster.

Upon playing a power chord through the cabinet, I could have sworn something cracked on the opposite wall! :D You see, this cabinet had extreme projection and bass response!

Awesome :R
I love Tech21 products. Theres something magic about them!

I am currently looking for a TM30! I was a bit let down when I saw that the TM10/30 had 4ohms sp.output but since it worked for you with 8ohms then perhaps it works with higher loads without damaging the amp.

abraxas
January 24th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Awesome :R
I love Tech21 products. Theres something magic about them!

I am currently looking for a TM30! I was a bit let down when I saw that the TM10/30 had 4ohms sp.output but since it worked for you with 8ohms then perhaps it works with higher loads without damaging the amp.

In fact, the TM10 has a 8 Ohm output! Don't know exactly why they made it 4 Ohm on the TM30... :thwap:

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2008, 06:03 AM
In fact, the TM10 has a 8 Ohm output! Don't know exactly why they made it 4 Ohm on the TM30... :thwap:

Dang... so I guess that the selection of ext sp.cabs is rather limited?

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Really sweet Abraxas! I love it when tone brings you to your knees. What other output tubes did you try & why did you choose the 6L6?

oldguy
January 24th, 2008, 06:28 AM
you don't play in a sloppy manner and don't overplay when on a Uni; it will pull your pants down and ridicule you without hesitation. . ;)

Heehee...I loved the way you phrased that. I need to add your quote to my signature line... LOL:D

abraxas
January 24th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Really sweet Abraxas! I love it when tone brings you to your knees. What other output tubes did you try & why did you choose the 6L6?

Tot, I have used several different makes and types. I'm fortunate to have been given (as a gift) a big box full of NOS tubes, by a good friend of mine. :master: And I have also got myself quite a few of the new ones.

The configuration I described is what I have right now, and seems very flexible and nice sounding! It covers most of the bases and I believe I shall make it my "standard" config.

This is not to say that others don't work equally well. For example, a Telefunken EL84 I have, (used with the Yellow Jacket adapter on the Uni), gives a delicious raunchy tone, perfect for some Brian May extravaganza! :rockon:

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Wow! Nice gift. So nice it could drive one crazy

A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O-P-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z ing

them ;).

Glad you found the tubes n' cab that rings your bells!