PDA

View Full Version : Well I bought the new PC

stingx
January 23rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
I got such a great deal on a Dell I passed on my idea of getting a Mac. I haven't bought a vendor built computer since the first Commodore 64 I bought. I simply have no time or desire to build them any more so...

I bought a Dell XPS 420. Here are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
Windows Vista Home Premium with Digital Cable Support
3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
512MB2 Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Blu-ray Disc Combo (DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM)

I got the whole shiznizz for well under a grand too :)

I was skeptical about Vista but I haven't had a single problem and it runs lightning fast. I love the graphics card and I get sick framerates on my games.
The case is built to be extra quiet and makes a great platform for my recording applications, which, while we're on the subject, run run amazingly fast and the lowest latency I have ever seen without crackling. I was floored by all the VST plugins I could run and simply not choke this server.

Anyway, just thought I'd letcha know I didn't go the Mac route YET. I still plan to buy a mini and add it to my KVM switch.

tot_Ou_tard
January 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Yowza, what you can get for under a grand these days! Quad-core no less.

Congrats StingX!

Robert
January 23rd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Heh, I'm still going to go the Mac route - neeenie neeenie neenie! :D

just strum
January 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
I was beginning to think computers would be extinct by the time you made your purchase. I thought that, or that you spent all your money on pedals.

Great buy there Robert, but "If you don't post pics, it..."

luvmyshiner
January 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Congrats Sting. I'll admit I've been less than happy with Vista. But I did discover a little trick this week for any of your older programs that might give you problems. If you right click on the program icon, and then click on "properties" you can set the program to run in "XP Compatibility" mode.

Robert
January 23rd, 2008, 09:48 PM
I haven't bought mine yet. I'm waiting for the new Macbook Pros to come out!

luvmyshiner
January 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Now Robert, you know if you keep waiting for the next "new" computer to come out, you'll never buy anything!:poke:

Robert
January 23rd, 2008, 11:42 PM
Now Robert, you know if you keep waiting for the next "new" computer to come out, you'll never buy anything!:poke:

Well maybe that is a good thing! :D

stingx
January 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Nice avatar, Robert. I just cut the cheese myself :rotflmao:

just strum
January 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I haven't bought mine yet. I'm waiting for the new Macbook Pros to come out!

I read the title and not the messenger. I should have realized you needed you pedal/amp/guitar money, so the computer was down the road.