PDA

View Full Version : Any cooks here?

Plank_Spanker
January 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
I love to cook, and not all "garden variety" style. It's a passion of mine.

Any other cooks here? Maybe we could get a good thread going with our little secrets......:D

Robert
January 23rd, 2008, 11:45 PM
Oh yeah, I'm the head chef around this house! :D My favorite TV show is "Hell's Kitchen" - anyone seen that? Gordon Ramsay is a sharp dude. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Ramsay

LagrangeCalvert
January 24th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I was a hot prep chef at a local country club...I also worked as a chef their after about 6 mos.

I do lots of cooking as well.......

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Oh yeah, I'm the head chef around this house! :D My favorite TV show is "Hell's Kitchen" - anyone seen that? Gordon Ramsay is a sharp dude. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Ramsay

I´m master chef at my house too :D
I love Hell´s Kitchen too, but I have to say that I like the naked chef a bit more (and dont even get my started on Floridas own naked pancake chef! :pancake: )

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I was a chef for a number of years. I am the cook at home, but I wouldn't say that it is a current passion of mine.

I'm all for a thread about it though!

R_of_G
January 24th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I worked for many years as a cook and sous chef in several different styles of restaurants. I do a lot of cooking at home as well, but I am deathly afraid of knives after nearly severing the tip of my left index finger a few years ago doing some slicing.

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I worked for many years as a cook and sous chef in several different styles of restaurants. I do a lot of cooking at home as well, but I am deathly afraid of knives after nearly severing the tip of my left index finger a few years ago doing some slicing.
You should cook with guns Roland ;).

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2008, 06:49 AM
You should cook with guns Roland ;).

http://www.loadsmorestuff.com/images/danger-men-cooking-apron.jpg

R_of_G
January 24th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I'll make us some "gunslinger burritos" Tot.:rotflmao:

Spudman
January 24th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I do full contact field catering some in the summer and cook at home too. Here I am taking a break to go over and meet the guys from The Little River Band. This is Wayne the guy that wrote "Night Owls" and all their later material.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/People/Doobies020.jpg

warren0728
January 24th, 2008, 08:27 AM
i was in the restaurant biz for many many years and was chef at a few of them....i love to cook but cooking for one isn't much fun and when the kids are with me...though usually they don't like the non hotdog or chicken or pizza food stuff....i am trying to expand their palettes a little bit at a time....

ww :pancake:

Ro3b
January 24th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Cooking is the thing other than music that I do. The only reason I didn't go to chef school was that I figured the restaurant life would be incompatible with a heavy gigging schedule. I still think about it though.

Plank_Spanker
January 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I'm planning a major dinner for Saturday evening just for the wife and myself. I'm leaning towards some Paula Dean southern comfort..................:D

Algonquin
January 24th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Hey Spuds... I see Folks going up in the chair lifts.

What are they coming down the hills on/in? :confused:

Spudman
January 24th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hey Spuds... I see Folks going up in the chair lifts.

What are they coming down the hills on/in? :confused:

They hike then catch the chair back down or take bicycles up and do the trails down the back side.

Jimi75
January 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I am the weekend chef here at home. Coming out of an Italian family with tradition, I can prepare a ton of Italian dishes for you.
:beer:

sunvalleylaw
January 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I worked in kitchens much of my youth, but would not consider myself a fine cook. I did prep work at Sun Valley, and learned to break down a chicken with a 9 inch chef's knife in record time though! I also learned to make killer hot hot wings designed to sell beer to be served at a local club's comedy show.

Bloozcat
January 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I'm the head chef at home too...

My wife's favorite statement about my cooking is, "I can't wait until you retire. You'll can do all the cooking then!"

I just love to cook. I find it enjoyable. I never use recipes though, I just create my own dishes. There were two occasions when I used recipes, and both times it was disasterous - and I followed the recipes to the letter. Even my wife said, "Forget the recipes, make your own".

I've had friends say on several occasions, "You should open a restaurant." I just say that it would take the fun out of it, and that's all I'm interested in when I cook...the fun of doing it. I have a friend who owns a restaurant, and watching what he goes through makes me wonder why anyone would want to own one. Talk about hard work....

warren0728
January 24th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I have a friend who owns a restaurant, and watching what he goes through makes me wonder why anyone would want to own one. Talk about hard work....
absolutely...the last restaurant i was chef at offered me a percentage of the business as a working partner. I accepted and it was the hardest thing i have ever done.

I was at the restaurant from 7:30am - 1am almost everyday....i finally left, relinquishing my percentage of the business and went back to my first true love....photography....opened a small studio and now i have a full service creative agency....i still miss the excitement of the restaurant and sometimes think i want to open a new one....probably won't though!

ww

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I'll make us some "gunslinger burritos" Tot.:rotflmao: That'll do kindly. Thankee sai.

The restaurant biz is crazy. On busy nights it was like high speed juggling making sure all the orders got out at the correct time and dishes requiring differing cokking times all reached the plates at the same time so they went out hot. I could move *fast* & with precision.

I don't cook with recipes either, but this last Christmas I dug up some new ones to try & enjoyed it (of course I didn't *really* follow the recipes, more used them as ideas).

Here are a couple of technique & timing based "secrets".

Secret #1: Sharp good knives (sorry R o' G ;)) work on technique, so that you can whip through the prep-work.

Secret #2: Think about timing & organize what you'll do when. Prep all ingredients & then cook (I don't do this, because I can whip up an onion in short-order if I need to). This is the way it is done at restaurants and is particulary important if you are cooking for company (especially at holiday time). You can prep everything, then clean the kitchen & at the last minute whip everything together.

Secret #3: Learn to "stir" by shaking the saute pan & flipping the food at the far edge of the pan. It'll speed things up & cut down on extraneous spoons. Its very easy to do, you just have to practise. It will give you confidence & flair & it impresses others.

Secret #4: If you are in a hurry to reduce wine & you have a gas stove, tilit the pan so that the flames ignite the wine & let it flambe. Looks cool, but be careful.

Secret #5: A nice way to finish off a thick reduced sauce is to take it off the heat & wisk in a pat of good butter (yes, there is a difference). It will melt, but not separate & give a great sheen, taste, & mouthfeel. Fantastic when cooking steak. Saute some garlic & shallots in the pan drippings, deglaze with red wine, & then do the pat of butter treatment. Drizzle over steaks. Yummy!

pie_man_25
January 24th, 2008, 10:44 AM
cooking, I do some cooking around the house, especially eggs, I love eggs for breakfast, let's see, I know this isn't "gourmet" but the "mr. Noodles" ramen cooked with an egg stirred into it is absolutely delicious, let's see, I remember once making the ultimate sandwich, but I can't remember now.

Tone2TheBone
January 24th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I grill a mean Salmon fillet.

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I grill a mean Salmon fillet.

Tasty! I bet you took down that mean old Salmon with your H&K :dude:

Bloozcat
January 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Great tips, tot...

The prep work is always the time consumer, isn't it?

Seems like everything that's worth doing well is that way. It's not the painting of the guitar that's so time consuming, even though it's the paint finish that's the final product that everyone sees. It's all the work that you did just so that you could paint it that makes or breaks the finished work.

Another thing that I've found, is that many people fail at cooking because they fail to use good ingredients. Good food tastes good, because it's made with good ingredients...and of course the skill in combining them.

Sharp knives....I'm sort of a fanatic about that. A knife that isn't sharp, is just a letter opener. And just try to slice tomatoes with a letter opener...;)

Bloozcat
January 24th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Tasty! I bet you took down that mean old Salmon with your H&K :dude:

:rotflmao:

Tone2TheBone
January 24th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Nope cheated and bought it at Costco.

R_of_G
January 24th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Good tips Tot, but I see you haven't gotten thru Callahan's story in Wolves of the Calla because "clean as you go" was not in your list. :rotflmao:

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Nope cheated and bought it at Costco.

We have a nice lake here with lots of salmon trouts.. lets go fishing this weekend Rob :AOK:

warren0728
January 24th, 2008, 01:51 PM
We have a nice lake here with lots of salmon trouts.. lets go fishing this weekend Rob :AOK:
which brings up a very important tip...

use the absolute freshest ingredients possible...then keep it simple and let the true flavors of the food shine.

+1000 on sharp knives....more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife because you have to help the knife do it's work which means more of a chance of slipping....

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
which brings up a very important tip...

use the absolute freshest ingredients possible...then keep it simple and let the true flavors of the food shine.

+1000 on sharp knives....more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife because you have to help the knife do it's work which means more of a chance of slipping....

Absolutely right Warren.. its great to bring one of these and grill fish directly after the catch :)

http://www.icakuriren.se/ArticlePages/200606/30/20060630105028_Icak803/Engangsgrillar_l.jpg

warren0728
January 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM
oh man....i'm getting hungry! :drool:

ww

Tim
January 24th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I enjoy cooking outdoors. On weekends I am either grilling or smoking some kind of meat or fish. Since I bought the digital thermometer, the meat is cooked to perfection, all from inside the guitar room. I have smoked a brisket twice. Each time I cooked them, they get more juicy and tender. I can’t wait to get started again this spring.

Tone2TheBone
January 24th, 2008, 02:17 PM
oh man....i'm getting hungry! :drool:

ww

Me too!

Plank_Spanker
January 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I enjoy cooking outdoors. On weekends I am either grilling or smoking some kind of meat or fish. Since I bought the digital thermometer, the meat is cooked to perfection, all from inside the guitar room. I have smoked a brisket twice. Each time I cooked them, they get more juicy and tender. I can’t wait to get started again this spring.

I also enjoy cooking outdoors. I particularly enjoy using my smoker. Throw in a big roast in the late morning, and it's done to perfection when the day's chores are done. :D I grill year round, even if I have to shovel snow to clear a path to my grills.

I'm a "charcoal only" griller (lump or briquets). To me, it gives the meats a better taste. I smoke with hickory, mesquite, cherry, and apple woods, depending on the meat. I've smoked birds, roasts, meatloaf (yum!), whole hams, venison, elk, moose, vegetables (smoked corn is incredible), fish............just about anything that will fit into the smoker.

Tone2TheBone
January 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I also grill year round even with snow. I too agree with you Spank about using charcoal to bbq with. The meats come out much better that way. I've got a smoker too but's it's the simple Brinkman kind. I've smoked salmon and brisket in it and man does it come out gooood.

Justaguyin_nc
January 24th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I really enjoy eating from the outdoor grills..especially BBQ... I just hate cleaning it all..
I been hooked on Liquid Smoke now...wrapped in foil.. marinate a nice boston butt overnite with some liquid smoke, worshiresauce, garlic salt.. onion salt..etc etc..
throw it in the oven wrapped still in the foil.. about 300F for an hour per pound.. last 10 minutes turn on the broiler and open the top to get that outside burn to it..

no cleaning.. but the pan you use.. mmmmm mmmm mmmm

for a change..use applejuice and grapejuice combined to marinate a butt... you just wont believe the juicyness... mmm mmmm...

Darn, I gotta run to the store for some more boston butts..

Plank_Spanker
January 24th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I've got a smoker too but's it's the simple Brinkman kind. I've smoked salmon and brisket in it and man does it come out gooood.

Mine is a Brinkman, but it's pretty big - three vertically stacked meat trays. There's been some orgasmic meals cooked in it. :D Do you brine the salmon when you smoke it?

Plank_Spanker
January 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Add to Tot's tips:

Besides using sharp knives, make sure you're using the right knife for the job. It's hard to pare with a 10 inch chef's knife.........:D

Good knife technique is important - besides the obvious of not cutting your fingers off, you need to know how to properly mince, jullienne, etc. Besides - it's fun! :D

Never scrape cuttings off of the board with the cutting edge of the knife - use the back. It preserves the edge

Hot pan, cold oil.............less sticking problems

Clean as you go. With an involved meal, you could be up to your ears in dirty pots and utensils

Have a plan. When you're cooking numerous courses or sides, know when to start each so everything plates warm and fresh

Prep as far ahead as you can - it's lots less work when the heat is on (pun?)

Some great posts here so far!

Plank_Spanker
January 24th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I been hooked on Liquid Smoke now...wrapped in foil.. marinate a nice boston butt overnite with some liquid smoke, worshiresauce, garlic salt.. onion salt..etc etc..
throw it in the oven wrapped still in the foil.. about 300F for an hour per pound.. last 10 minutes turn on the broiler and open the top to get that outside burn to it..

no cleaning.. but the pan you use.. mmmmm mmmm mmmm

for a change..use applejuice and grapejuice combined to marinate a butt... you just wont believe the juicyness... mmm mmmm...

Darn, I gotta run to the store for some more boston butts..

We need smilies for drooling with hunger! That recipe sounds good! :D

Tone2TheBone
January 24th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Mine is a Brinkman, but it's pretty big - three vertically stacked meat trays. There's been some orgasmic meals cooked in it. :D Do you brine the salmon when you smoke it?

Yup. I normally do a simple brown sugar and sea salt brine for the salmon. Sprinkle on some wickedly good fish rub seasoning I got from Costco that stuff is dang good on fish. I've used apple wood and alder wood and even some regular mesquite wood. Smoked stuff is the best. Looks like I'll be picking your brains on both telescopes and smoking recipes dude!

Plank_Spanker
January 24th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Yup. I normally do a simple brown sugar and sea salt brine for the salmon. Sprinkle on some wickedly good fish rub seasoning I got from Costco that stuff is dang good on fish. I've used apple wood and alder wood and even some regular mesquite wood. Smoked stuff is the best. Looks like I'll be picking your brains on both telescopes and smoking recipes dude!

The brown sugar / salt brine is what I use also. I've never tried alder............

Looks like I'll be picking your brains as well...........:beer:

Tone2TheBone
January 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM
The brown sugar / salt brine is what I use also. I've never tried alder............

Looks like I'll be picking your brains as well...........:beer:

Cheers dude looking forward to it! :beer:

Robert
January 24th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Have you tried "Gravlax"? Salmon made in Swedish tradition - very good. I just made it for Christmas. I just use salt, sugar, pepper and lots of dill. Put the salmon in a plastic bag and put a weight on. Put in the fridge for 2 days, turn it over after 1 day. Then ready to eat! It gets "chemically cooked" and it's wonderful on flat bread.

Read more on WikiPedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravlax

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Gravlax_on_crackers_with_pepper_and_lemon.jpg/250px-Gravlax_on_crackers_with_pepper_and_lemon.jpg

Robert
January 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
If you ever go to Sweden, you MUST try this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

Surströmming ("soured (Baltic) herring") is a northern Swedish delicacy consisting of fermented Baltic herring. Surströmming is sold in cans, which when opened release a strong smell. Because of the smell, the dish is often eaten outdoors. However, opening the can under water somewhat lessens the smell, as well as keeping the person opening it from getting soaked in brine, as the fermentation often builds up a considerable pressure inside the can.

:master: :bravo: :AOK: :AOK:

Plank_Spanker
January 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Robert,

I make gravlax every winter, usually around Christmas. The first time I made it, I was dubious.........................

I love gravlax! :D

Here's the recipe I use, courtesy of Martha Stewart:

Serves 16
1 8-pound boned salmon, cut into 2
fillets, skin on
¼ cup anise seed, toasted
1 cup sugar
¼ cup caraway seed, toasted
¼ cup freshly ground black pepper
½ cup coarse kosher salt
5 large bunches of fresh dill, coriander,
or chervil
¼ cup vodka, aquavit, or gin

1. Place the salmon fillets on a parchment-lined work surface. Remove any remaining bones from fillets. In a medium bowl, mix together spices, sugar, and salt.
2. Place one of the fillets in a large glass or enamel pan. Cover the fillet with the spice mixture. Spread dill on top of the spices, then pour vodka on top of dill. Place second fillet on top of the first, in the opposite direction (heads to tails).
3. Cover entire pan tightly with plastic wrap. Place a heavy object, such as a book or brick, into a smaller pan. Lay pan on top of fish, and place both pans in refrigerator.
4. After 12 hours, remove the fish from the pan, rewrap the fish tightly with plastic wrap, and turn over. Replace the weighted pan on top of the fish. Continue to refrigerate for 2 ½ to 3 ½ more days, turning fish over every 12 hours.
5. After four days, remove fish from refrigerator and unwrap on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Remove top fillet and scrape dill and spices from the surface of both fillets.
6. To serve, slice each fillet on the diagonal into thin pieces.

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Good tips Tot, but I see you haven't gotten thru Callahan's story in Wolves of the Calla because "clean as you go" was not in your list. :rotflmao:
It was implied by this line:

You can prep everything, then clean the kitchen & at the last minute whip everything together.

But no, I haven't gotten to that part yet.

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2008, 04:59 PM
cooking, I do some cooking around the house, especially eggs, I love eggs for breakfast, let's see, I know this isn't "gourmet" but the "mr. Noodles" ramen cooked with an egg stirred into it is absolutely delicious, let's see, I remember once making the ultimate sandwich, but I can't remember now. The big thing about eggs is *don't* overcook nor cook them at high heat. You have to coddle eggs (even when you aren't serving coddled eggs ;)).

Turn that heat down, take'em off the heat a bit early!

Cooking protein is essentially the process of causing the protein strands to unwind & then clump together, thus interlocking with each other. You want the H20 to be trapped in those little cages of protein. To much heat & the protein gets all tight & balled up. The water separates out & the eggs are tough. Yuck!

Baby those eggies!

Another tip: when sauteeing don't over futz with the stuff. Let it see the heat on each side for awhile. I've seen people who think that they have to stir constantly or flip the meat incessently.

I'm sure everyone here knows this, but the quickest way to get garlic out of it's skin is to put the heel of your hand on the flat side of a chef's knife & give a good whack. It'll come right out.

If you want to make fresh garlic puree after mincing add a sprinkle of salt (Kosher is best) & rub with the flat of your knife, the salt will grind it into a puree. Excellent for use in homemade aioli (yummy garlic mayonnaise)!

Learn how to measure spices in the palm of your hand or between your fingers.

Strain raw eggs through your fingers. (Put the egg into the palm of your hand & let the white run through your fingers, keeping the yolk in your palm.)

Strain the seeds of lemons the same way. Speaking of lemons, place them on the counter & roll them *firmly* using the palm of one hand before slicing in half & squeezing into the other hand to strain. This breaks up the little pods of juice, which makes juicing *much* easier. Squeeze & roll the flattened half back & forth between your fingers & thumb to get the last bit of juice.

luvmyshiner
January 24th, 2008, 05:27 PM
WOW, I had no idea we had some many chefs on the forum. I love cooking though I've never been very good at it. I do a lot of grilling/smoking, but I've also got a few old recipes I've worked up from my childhood in New Mexico. My favorite is Navajo Tacos with fresh Navajo Fry Bread and homemade green chili sauce. I don't make it very often because it takes the better part of a day, but if anyone is interested let me know and I'll shoot ya' the recipe.

warren0728
January 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM
i find for cooking pasta do not put oil in the water....just a little salt....cook till el dente and then add the pasta to your sauce to finish cooking....that way the pasta soaks up some of the flavors and the sauce will stick better to the pasta

if you put oil in the pasta water the sauce won't stick to the pasta as well....

i think we need a smilie with a chef's hat! :AOK:

ww

pes_laul
January 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Wow I envy all the chefs on this forum I can barely make toast :rotflmao: though I can make ramen noodles and mac and cheese

Plank_Spanker
January 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Tot, you are the man! :D

R_of_G
January 24th, 2008, 05:57 PM
It was implied by this line:

But no, I haven't gotten to that part yet.

well when you post a recipe for toads & dumpling stew i shall know you have arrived there.

Spudman
January 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
:drool: Who wanted this?

Measuring spices is your hand is a great way to get more of a natural feel for cooking. I also use my nose. I've got a super sensitive nose and get a good idea of flavors from aroma and when something is cooked just the right amount of time.

I don't have any real set recipes. I just get an idea in my head of what I want something to taste like and the idea for the right spices pop into my thought. I've made a few bombs this way but mostly it works out. Still not nearly as exciting as early morning pancakes dans la nudité.

Guitar Gal
January 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I can make a wicked PB & J sammich :drool:

Anyone wanting the recipe can just PM me :D

GG

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM
i find for cooking pasta do not put oil in the water....just a little salt....cook till el dente and then add the pasta to your sauce to finish cooking....that way the pasta soaks up some of the flavors and the sauce will stick better to the pasta

if you put oil in the pasta water the sauce won't stick to the pasta as well....

i think we need a smilie with a chef's hat! :AOK:

ww
:AOK::AOK::AOK::AOK:

Tot, you are the man! :D

As are you Planky!

Number 1) Taste as you cook!!!!!

Robert
January 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Wow Plank, that is very detailed and good gravlax recipe you acquired from ol' jailbird Martha. I guess doin' time gives you time to think about what's really important to ya. Impressive.
;) :D :dude:

Plank_Spanker
January 25th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Robert,

I like to serve gravlax to those that have never tried it. Most like it, and it's fun to watch their faces when I tell them how it's prepared. :D

Plank_Spanker
January 25th, 2008, 08:39 AM
BRISKET!

Here's a favorite of mine during the summer. You can feed a crew with a larger brisket, or just you and your sweetie with a smaller one. The leftovers make devine sammitches the next day! :D

Smoked and Baked Brisket.

Recipe By : Michael Heinle, Executive Chef at Arroyo Grille, Philadelphia.

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon dry oregano
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 first cut beef brisket -- 10 to 12 lbs
3 bottles Harp Lager, or your favorite beer
1 cup hickory or mesquite wood chips

Combine the first 10 ingredients and work the rub over all sides of the brisket. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Soak mesquite or hickory wood chips in water for overnight.
Prepare a medium bed of coals on the grill and preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
Drain the wood chips and add half to the top of the charcoal.
Place the brisket fat side up on the grill and close the lid. Smoke for 30 minutes, turning once.
Remove the brisket from the grill and place it in a deep baking pan.
Add beer until it reaches halfway up the brisket.
Place one sheet of aluminum foil directly on the brisket and mold it to the shape of the meat. Do not cover the bottom of the brisket.
Place another sheet of foil over the pan and seal tightly.
Place in oven and cook for 3 hours.
Carefully remove the brisket. It should be extremely tender to the touch but not falling apart.
Return it to a hot grill, adding more rub and - if desired - more wood chips. Cook for 15 minutes.
Let it cool down for 20 minutes and slice it across the grain.

ENJOY!!!

NOTES : A smaller 6 to 8 pound brisket will work great with this recipe.
Be careful when smoking the meat. Do not burn the brisket on the grill. You want the oven to do most of the cooking.

tot_Ou_tard
January 25th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Sounds great Planky! :drool::drool:

Justaguyin_nc
January 25th, 2008, 10:48 AM
The next time you buy that prime- rib roast..
Room temp that meat before anything..
put an inch or so of veggie oil in a skillet..
heat it.. and then sear all sides of that meat..
then place it in the oven fat side up...
really holds in the flavors..
while adding a nice color to the outsides.
I like alot of garlic, 12-14 cloves on a 4-5 ribs..
the cloves are buried into the fat before searing
with alot of pepper.. about a tablespoon..
thats all ya need.. sometimes..less is best
although I try different things here and there.
I rotate on temps..with same results actually..
mostly 325.. sometimes 500.. obviously one takes longer..
both are looking for a middle around 120F.. no more!!
if you know people that hate the look of reddish meat just pour Aus Jus
on it before serving, its better than ruining a good prime rib!!
Aus Jus...
it's nothing more than the pan drippings with some beef broth added to it..
don't use bouilon cubes..
also.instead of or alternating with Aus jus...
mix half horseradish and sourcream in a side dish to dip it in..mmmm

if I wasn't making these deer tenderloins.. (umm I don't hunt them.. but the meat was free)
I would be at the store gettin me some rib roast!!

Plank_Spanker
January 25th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I love a good rib roast!

The next time i cook one, I'll do it like NC's! :D

Tim
January 25th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I did not realize there where so many cooks, grillers and smokers on this site either. I have the old Brinkman $39.00 special black grill. I did modify the fire pan with holes to evenly disperse the heat during the slow smoking process. I am thinking of purchasing one of the upright square (refrigerator type) smokers. These have several racks to place different meats to cook. I also use charcoal and change between hickory, cherry and Texas mesquite wood for flavor. In Florida I smoked all year round. I always thought that smoking during the cold winter would not allow the internal smoker temperature get high enough to cook the meats.

Bloozcat
January 25th, 2008, 12:48 PM
As I've heard it said so many times before...

This thread is worthless without pics!

So, I'll start...

Growing up in a family with an Italian mother, our traditional Christmas dinner has always been Italian. My mother's gone 30 years now, but I carry on the tradition.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/Antipasto.jpg?t=1201286566
Antipasto Plates

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/LasagnaEggplant.jpg?t=1201286434
Lasagna in the large dish on top, Eggplant Parmesian on the bottom, and a meatless Lasagna in the smaller dish to the side.

Pictures are prior to going into the oven...

tot_Ou_tard
January 25th, 2008, 12:52 PM
:drool: Looks great Blooz! :drool:

Christmas dinner is usually Rib Roast 'round here (done much like Justas).

Tim
January 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Delicious looking food there Bloozcat. The dinner bell must only ring once in your home. I would most like be standing in the kitchen alongside the cook sampling the food for tenderness.

Plank_Spanker
January 25th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I always thought that smoking during the cold winter would not allow the internal smoker temperature get high enough to cook the meats.

And you are correct. I always make it a special occasion when I fire up my smoker for the first time in the spring. I have all winter to think about it. :D

Tone2TheBone
January 27th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Oh forgot to mention we use extra virgin olive oil on everythinggggg.

SuperSwede
January 27th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Oh forgot to mention we use extra virgin olive oil on everythinggggg.

:master:

+1 on getting a really high quality olive oil.

Kazz
January 27th, 2008, 05:54 AM
My wife does most of the staple cooking in our casa.....but when I want something more gourmet then I step in....I do all the as she calls it fancy cooking.

I like to cook in the vein of Emeril Legasse and Tyler Florence so yeah I would be up for a thread on top secrets.

Kazz
January 27th, 2008, 06:21 AM
What I read....I didnt realize there were 7 pages when I made my first reply...then I had to go back and read all the posts....woohoo.

I just absolutely love to cook...indoors or out....it does not matter....I do use recipes especially if it is the first time I am making something some I stick to the letter each time I make it...others after the first I do some doctoring.

recently I had a deer roast given to me and I used this recipe by Emeril Legasse for Cola Braised Roast (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_75285,00.html)

I really did not know what to expect but since it was Emeril I figured it had to be good....and it was probably the best roast I have ever had. Of all the dishes I make and there are many....it is always the soups that I seem to be the most proud of.

F_BSurfer
January 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I guess you can say cooking is a passion of mine I have raised three kids by myself so I have had plenty of practice!!!!!!

Good fresh spices is a key to good cooking ....Some of the places I get mine are
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

http://spicebarn.com/spices_and_seasonings.htm
and for herbs I don't grow myself

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/bulkherb.html

Good set of knifes are a must mine are Chicago Cutlery not the most expensive or the fanciest but they have served me for over 20 years now

I was raised smoking meat right now my smoker is a 18 cu ft refrig with smoke box on the side piped into the refrig couple internal fans hook to dimmers to control heat and dampened vents. This spring I going to build a smoke hut 8'x 8' have the pad already poured.Good smoke meat takes time don't rush it once you have your temperature it doesn't take too much attention.
I eat good amount of smoke fish and the best way is cold smoking.
Cold smoking is done best at 70 degree F or less
Have a friend in Washington state that sends me 15 to 20 pounds of salmon couple times a year.This is how I smoke it.
Salt brine for 48 hours
1 cup salt to 4 quarts of distiled water
Really no need to add spices to brine the only ones that I have found to change the flavor are dill and garlic
I get my smoker stable at 70 degrees F
Hang the salmon in smoker
Smoke for 8 to 10 hours with wet sugar maple sometimes add apple wood. every couple hours I spray the fish with water bottle
After smoking the fish it is ready to freeze, finish cook or sushi
My favorite way to finish cook it is coat the salmon with about 1/2" of mayo (preference dukes mayo) on each side with lemon slices wrap in tin foil cook on grill about three minute a side.

To smoke fish fully cook I cold smoke for 4 hours at 90 degree F kick heat up to 120 to 140 degree F for about 2 hours

Childbride
January 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Shiner and i share cooking duties...

i like to cook, but i don't consider anything i do to be out of the ordinary...

'cept my chili... ;)

Plank_Spanker
January 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM
WOW! :D

I had no idea when I started this thread that there were this many cooks here!

There's been lots of great tips and recipes here. I need to print and save this entire thread. :beer:

Justaguyin_nc
January 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM
'cept my chili... ;)

And? that texas chili recipe is? :poke: :)

Childbride
January 27th, 2008, 04:28 PM
first and foremost... WOW to all the cooking talent on the forum! i second Plank in that i'm going to have to go back and print out all the cool tips and recipes!

second... ;) Justa, i'll tell you the basic ingredients... which are actually so mickey mouse i'm embarrassed to post them with all the chefs about. but it's not breaking texas tradition, b/c i can't actually tell you how i season it :poke: , just what i season it WITH. i've learned all my recipes by watching the Matriarchy, and we never used measurements.

that being said:

=============

1 large crock pot
1 1/2 lbs good hamburger [pref 90-10, as lean as possible]
1 very large white onion [if you prefer a bit of sweet, yellow]
4-5 cloves fresh garlic
butter
2 cans 6 oz tomato paste [Hunts]
3 cans 15 oz tomato sauce [Hunts]
1 can whole tomatoes [the big size one]
1 can 15 oz pork & beans
1 can 15 oz Ranch style beans
1 can 15 oz Bush's [or Ranch style] kidney beans
[four bean option, go with can pintos, too]
salt
pepper
season salt
onion powder
onion salt
garlic powder
garlic salt
lemon pepper
chili powder
ground cayenne red pepper
crushed red pepper
ancho chili pepper

saute garlic, butter and onion [rough chopped]
don't allow to totally carmelize.
add beef, initial shot of all seasonings, brown.

drain.

put all that in crock, rough chop the whole tomatoes and cut out the eyes.
add all can goods, but only 2 of the 3 cans of sauce. the other is in case you need to back off the heat in a pinch, or just needs more later.

simmer all day long, seasoning every 1.5 to 2 hours. :poke:

:D

options: add cornbread and/or fritos, and shredded cheddar when serving.

marnold
January 27th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I don't cook, but I do brew my own beer (all grain, naturally). I suppose that is a form of cooking.

Tone2TheBone
January 27th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I don't cook, but I do brew my own beer (all grain, naturally). I suppose that is a form of cooking.

Oh yeahhh now yer talkin' home made beer! :beer:

tot_Ou_tard
January 28th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Chili n' beer party halfway between Tejas & Wisconsin!!!

Justaguyin_nc
January 28th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I'll bring the beanO...:thwap:

thanks for the recipe CB... got it down on paper... when the time comes.. gonna give it a try...

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM
a quick tip about chili....it might sound crazy but add a touch of cinnamon and you will be surprised....really tastes good.... :AOK:

ww

SuperSwede
January 28th, 2008, 03:34 PM
So who has a nice recipe for Mango Chutney? Preferably with a little sting!

Childbride
January 28th, 2008, 03:38 PM
[oops]

i had a 'melanin-challenged follicle moment', y'all...

2 cans of 6 oz tomato paste b/c in some batches i don't use any [or just some] of the second can. every batch is a little different.

and Tot... halfway would be somewhere in Missouri? :D :beer:

tot_Ou_tard
January 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM
a quick tip about chili....it might sound crazy but add a touch of cinnamon and you will be surprised....really tastes good.... :AOK:

ww
On a similar note.

Fettucine Alfredo:

Boil heavy whipping cream until it reduces to a thick, glossy, bubbly yum-fest.

I know what you are thinking. The d@mn thing is foaming & threatening to boil over. Yes, that is the trick cream does to taunt you. You have to show it who is the boss. Turn it down just enough to kepp it from foaming over and emolating itself on your burner. A calm firm hand (like with dogs) with cause relax the cream. Cream is a social ingredient & is anxious unless it knows the pecking order.

Soon it will become thick & glossy & bubbly.

Now is the time to take it off the heat & add freshly grated parmesan cheese

(WHAT!!??!! You still use that pre-grated sawdust...*cough* *cough* CHOKE CHOKE)

& either

1) a bit of freshly grated nutmeg.Yes! Get a whole freakin' nutmeg & grate a tiny bit into the sauce.

or

2) Fresh basil . You might as well know how to do this correctly.
It's called chiffonade. Basically you roll fresh basil leaves

(WHAT!!??!! You still use that dried sawdust...*cough* *cough* CHOKE CHOKE)

and pile the leaves into a stack & then roll them like a cigar (Yummmm cigar) & then slice it into ribbons. Fluff the ribbons into a loose mound before using.

Here are some pictures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiffonade

Nutmeg is yummy.

Oh & use fresh pasta if you can. Making it yourself is even better.

We used to bowl people over with nothing more than fresh fettucine (semolina flour, salt, & water), cream, fresh parmesan cheese, & fresh nutmeg.

Simple & fresh is best!!!!

tot_Ou_tard
January 28th, 2008, 07:53 PM
O & I forgot to say. Cinnamon & meat is not so strange. If you haven't eaten mole then you are not allowed to die yet.

Mole is a traditional mexican sauce that is often served over pork.

It's main claim to fame is cocoa, cinnamom, & nutmeg.

Laugh all you want, but I am free to die....many times over.

Sip some nice tequila (& yes! there are sipping tequilas) or a *good* sangria & you'll wanna die from the bliss.

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 07:59 PM
O & I forgot to say. Cinnamon & meat is not so strange. If you haven't eaten mole then you are not allowed to die yet.

Mole is a traditional mexican sauce that is often served over pork.
not to be confused with the mole that used to live in my front yard....and dispite what you have heard...they don't taste like chicken! :puke:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
January 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM
not to be confused with the mole that used to live in my front yard....and dispite what you have heard...they don't taste like chicken! :puke:

ww
:bravo::rotflmao:I don't know how to make accents. That should be pronounced moley. Like this mole'. :rotflmao::bravo:

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 08:05 PM
:bravo::rotflmao:I don't know how to make accents. That should be pronounced moley. Like this mole'. :rotflmao::bravo:
hey a mole' sauce done right is a beautiful thing...done wrong it it is really bad....the balance of spices is key.....

ww

tot_Ou_tard
January 28th, 2008, 08:09 PM
hey a mole' sauce done right is a beautiful thing...done wrong it it is really bad....the balance of spices is key.....

ww

Do you have a recipe? I've never made one & I'm a little nervous winging it as I'm not on familiar ground.

On the other hand, I know what I am doing with the tequila.

...ummm drinking it...duh!

Plank_Spanker
January 30th, 2008, 07:15 PM
A good mole' is a thing of beauty............................:D

Childbride
March 8th, 2008, 06:56 PM
speaking of interesting cooking...

my sonbyproxy is up, and he's cooking us supper tonight. :beer:

he's making buffalo burgers... the patties have gourmet mozzerella and sun dried tomatoes in them.

this should be an experience. :)

warren0728
March 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM
sounds yummy cb....enjoy! :AOK:

ww

Katastrophe
March 8th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Kinda funny story related to cooking here. A fine dinner is how I began to woo Mrs. Kat when we started dating. I picked up some nice New York Strip steaks and a couple of lobster tails, and had the future Mrs. Kat come over for dinner at my Dad's home (I was house sitting for him that week). Dad gave me free reign to use either his charcoal or gas grill. I chose the gas one, as I had a "smoke box" that I could put mesquite chips in, and regulate heat and the intensity of the smoke at the same time.

Dad didn't tell me that the igniter on his gas grill was broken and did not work. Apparently, I didn't let the grill air out long enough before I tried to light the grill with a long fireplace match. BAROOOOOOOM! Giant fireball erupts. I must have had the fastest reaction time known to man, as I escaped injury. Anyway, I quit shaking long enough to cook a fantastic meal with the steak, lobster, baked potatoes and a nice salad. The future Mrs. Kat arrives and we have a great time. As she's leaving to go back to work (she was working nights as a peace officer at the time), she tells me, "You must have had a hell of a time with the grill. Look at your arms."

All of my arm hair was singed off from the fireball. I felt like the hugest dork on the planet at that exact moment. But, she saw through all that and still decided to marry me.

I still cook, but we have the local fire department on standby now.:D

Childbride
March 8th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Kat... :rotflmao:

that was funny, i don't care who ya are. :)

Warren, that was truly an interesting experience.

never had buffalo before.

the sun-dried tomatoes and mozzerella were to die for, but a lot of the cheese melted through the patties... he made them really thick, since the meat was so lean. so they turned out very tender. not gamey at all, juicy, and almost had a sausagey taste, if that makes any sense.

would do it again, definitely. :D

y'all take care, it's movie night before he has to leave us in the morning. :cry:

Kodiak3D
March 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'm the main cook here at home as well. I make a real mean potato soup :D

tot_Ou_tard
March 8th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Great story Kat!

I don't think buffalo is gamey, just lean.

I'm glad you had a great meal with your byproxy, CB!

warren0728
March 8th, 2008, 08:57 PM
hey cb....glad you liked the buffalo....mozzarella melting through the patties sounds great to me...i've had buffalo a couple of times and enjoyed it....having been a chef in a previous life i always enjoy trying new types of food! there is a story floating around somewhere on the fret with my experience with duck tongues on night in nyc....not my favorite food by far....although i really enjoyed ostrich that i had one evening in a cool little restaurant in nyc once.

And kat...that story is great....while i was in the restaurant biz i never had any hair below my wrists....never thought about it until after i got out of the business and the hair on my hands started growing back! I guess putting my hands in 600 degree ovens all the time kept the hair permanently burned off!

ww

tot_Ou_tard
March 9th, 2008, 06:54 AM
there is a story floating around somewhere on the fret with my experience with duck tongues on night in nyc....not my favorite food by far....although i really enjoyed ostrich that i had one evening in a cool little restaurant in nyc once.
ww

Got'cher Food Thread right here! Enjoy ;).

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=726

It was also mentioned here:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1429

it must be that the gastronomic horror that is
duck tongue has taken over a third of Warren's brain & is forcing him to drown out the tase with single malt.

But I think they first "came up" in this thread with the quaint title:

"102 members and only a few members post everyday?"

which begs: "post peeps post!" :D

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=691

Warren you should try CB's byproxy recipe. Grind up those waggily little tongues with melting mozzeralla & sun-dried tomato.

Yummmm Duck Tongueburger.

Not grisly at all:puke: .

Childbride
April 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM
pulled this one up b/c i must publicly apologize to Shiner.

he took on [oof, i'm stuffed] the philly cheesesteak tonight.

never done that one before.

he pummeled the ribeye instead of trying to thinly slice it, sort of like schnitzel... [i digress, apologize already]

when we were planning the meal last night, we had a debate about the cheese. he was watching bobby flay and said 'must use cheez whiz'

:messedup: was my response. provolone.

he did both tonight, and he wins.

and [pats a very full tummy]

he did an Awesome Job.

thanks, Honey. ;)