PDA

View Full Version : Steinberger

tot_Ou_tard
January 25th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Has anyone played a Steinberger? What did ya' think?

oldguy
January 25th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Never played the "real thing", but I did play one of the "broom" model ripoffs. It was pretty comfortable I thought. I think it was a Cort or Hohner, just messed with it in a pawn shop one day. No one near here ever carried Steinbergers that I remember. I'd like to try one of the transtrem models someday. Oh, well....
(sooner or later.... I'll find that 'tater........tot:thwap: :thwap: ).

Robert
January 25th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I had one for many years. Great tremolo system. It didn't have the vintage type of sound I want though, so I sold it. Picture of it on my website.

oldguy
January 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
That looked suh-weeet, Robert. You say on the site when you bought it you had an aversion to EMG pickups. What didn't you like about them? Was it just the ones in your Steinie, or EMG's in general. I'm picking your brain 'cause my brother just bought a Fender Tele w/ active EMG's and I liked the sound, plus it's absolutely quiet when you're not playing, no noise at all.

Robert
January 25th, 2008, 12:12 PM
EMG's in general - I find active pickups to be sounding lifeless. Well, at least that's what I thought back in the day. I haven't tried any since, mostly because I am not interested in them. All the guitar players I pay attention to when it comes to good tone mostly use vintage style pickups, and definitely not active pickups.

oldguy
January 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Gotcha. I thought it might be the changing batteries (or not changing them and showing up to a gig to find them dead...), or some such thing. I haven't paid that much attention....may do a google and see if any big names are using them.

tot_Ou_tard
January 25th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

The reason I asked is that I want to get a guitar this year & the thought popped into my head that if I got something like a Steinberger maybe I could take it on the plane & not be stuck without a guitar.

But I would really want a guitar that I would like when at home (hence no travel-types).

LowEndWonder
January 27th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I tryed a Hohner 5 string bass Stein knock off and it was pretty good.
Knowing that you tune up once and forget about it is a nice advantage.
I would have to play that thing so high strung though. I like to rest my wrist/arm on the body and that bass has very little body. It's like the heroin version of Kate Moss of basses!

Vihar
January 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM
It's like the heroin version of Kate Moss of basses!

LMAO! Or Victoria Beckham after an enema.