PDA

View Full Version : Robin Trower New album & 2008 USA tour

Spudman
January 25th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Robin Trower has a new album out with his long time pal Jack Bruce called "Seven Moons."

The Robin Trower Band has 2008 dates (http://www.robintrower.com/Store-Tour/WorldTour-2008.html#US 2008 Dates)for the USA early this year before heading to Europe. Apologies go out to our Florida forumites that I didn't find out sooner. Sadly he's already done with Florida but Texas is up for next week starting January 26th in Houston.

A review.

Seven Moons reveals the power of three
Published in the Thursday, January 17, 2008 Edition of http://www.bcheights.com/media/paper144/template/templatemedia/bch_sp_printnameplate.jpg
By Jeffrey Wallace (http://media.www.bcheights.com/user/index.cfm?event=displayAuthorProfile&authorid=2702819)

The equation is simple: Mix in heavy doses of Cream's psychedelic fuzz with the virtuous sentiments of Hendrix's Axis: Bold as Love, and you have Jack Bruce and Robin Trower's latest studio effort - Seven Moons. Bruce, who alongside Eric Clapton was a member of the short-lived, yet highly influential power-trio Cream, may be more established than Trower, a relatively obscure English guitar virtuoso, but it is Trower's robust riffs and melodic chaos that carries much of Seven Moons.

Manning the electric bass, Bruce, who four decades ago redefined the limits of the low-end, once again has room to roam, as Seven Moons features a familiar set up: a trio that is completed by popular session drummer Gary Husband. Bruce's meaty bass chops are at their finest on the highly tripped-out "Distant Places of the Heart." Wandering underneath Trower's exploits with the chorus pedal and the lingering delay effect, Bruce's bass line provides a stable foundation for Trower's patient, yet heavily stabbing solo that eventually fades to obscurity in the coda.

The parallels to Bruce's former band cannot be ignored. Trower may have a knack for bringing up those familiar licks that once tirelessly served Hendrix, but starting with the title track opener, it is apparent that much of Bruce's vocal delivery will be reminiscent of the defiant cries that proved to be an important dimension in the Cream sound. Though the instrumental prowess may be the most appealing aspect of Seven Moons, the raw youth still left in Bruce's vocals at 64 are most impressive, such as when he keeps up with Trower's driving shuffle on "She's Not the One." The closer, "I'm Home" plays out as a confused, down-tempo reminder of the relevance of Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd with Bruce's opening lines, "I'm home / Not here / My mind is clear / And it all seems just the same."

If anything, Seven Moons can be taken as a tribute to the mighty versatility of the electric guitar. Trower's unapologetic riffs dominate the upper register and are only strengthened by Bruce's behind-the-scenes bass work. If anything, it would not hurt to turn Bruce up to spice up the tension between his low-end ramble and Trower's majestic leads. Still, Trower can not be faulted for flaunting his stuff; he certainly has the chops to do so. B+

Robert
February 12th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info, Spud. Robin Trower is a really cool guitarist. Best known for his use of the Uni-Vibe, I guess you could say?

I played the Trower signature Strat a while back and I was quite impressed. :bravo:

Radioboy950
February 12th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the info, Spud. Robin Trower is a really cool guitarist. Best known for his use of the Uni-Vibe, I guess you could say?

I played the Trower signature Strat a while back and I was quite impressed. :bravo:

I still have my old vinyl copy of "Bridge of Sighs". He has a gig here in Detroit next month at a club/small theater. I'll probably check it out, especially since it's booked at a smaller venue.