PDA

View Full Version : my harshest critic... fieldtrip w/mom 101

Childbride
January 25th, 2008, 10:12 PM
growing up, my harshest critic, and i say this with love, was my mother.

i look back now with some perspective, and realize that her and my father drove me to be the over-achieving, always dis-satisfied with my accomplishments person that i am [in a good way] and love her for it.

she's here this weekend. after she remarried, she moved from san antonio, tx to alexandria, va, next to mt vernon.

i met her, as is our custom, down by I-35 when she drives in, and she follows me to our house, which is kinda hard to find.

we visit for awhile, and then i get brave.

'ya wanna see what i've learned since last time i played for you?'

'yeah'

so i go through my list of songs i've played for my lessons, my flatpicking songs, my 70's songs that she would remember. the woman who would never give me an inch, smiled.

she winked at me.

'you've come a long way, baby.' she said.

do you know what that means to me?!

then we went to supper, and the stepson is home again...

we came back to the house, and shiner and i started jamming together and taking turns singing.

all of a sudden, she wanted to hold a guitar, too.

this isn't going to sound right. i'm a big, goofy, 5'11" german mutt tomboy. my mother is a tiny, petite, socialite china doll 5'6" german fullblood. she's holding shiner's d10's trying to play it... and loving it. she just likes the way it feels.

but she approved of me. she said i played well. and she said that shiner and i should go on the road playing gigs.

i dunno if i made any sense with that post, but it was kinda a special day for me. :)

Plank_Spanker
January 25th, 2008, 10:33 PM
A little validation can go a long ways sometimes............................:D

German mutt? So am I. My mother is German.

Childbride
January 25th, 2008, 10:38 PM
mother's side is darned near 100% pure German.

dad's side is German, with a little heinz 57, and a strain of pure Cherokee. :D

here's to brotherhood. :beer:

Plank_Spanker
January 25th, 2008, 10:50 PM
mother's side is darned near 100% pure German.

dad's side is German, with a little heinz 57, and a strain of pure Cherokee. :D

here's to brotherhood. :beer:

Some Cherokee?

My Mom is full blooded German. She married my father while he was stationed in Germany. I was born there.

My father also has a good dose of Cherokee in him. :D

Cheers! :beer:

oldguy
January 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Loved that insight (wiping tears from cheeks). My parents were always critical....but in a good way. Taught us to be self sufficient, work hard, pay our own way, stand up for your beliefs, and don't back down if you know you're in the right.
Mom's in a home now....had a stroke two yrs. ago, and can't talk.
Mom was always on the phone, visiting neighbors, chatting, laughing, a very verbal person..... now..........nothing.
Dad....well, when Mom went away, Dad kinda did too. There was nothing Dad couldn't fix, or work hard enough to get us through tough times, or show the five of us what to do when it got rough. He still takes care of the cattle, and does the chores.......and then goes to the home to visit Mom.
Guess what I'm saying is I loved the part about your Mom telling you how well you've done. Cherish that, please. I thought I'd see an end to it someday, but not in just one day.
Thanks for sharing......

Childbride
January 25th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Old Guy...

this has been an especially hard week for me... i have a family member who's terminal... and i'm waiting for a phone call.

so it's been a weird week of ups and downs.

kind of puts life in perspective, doesn't it?

k

ps: i'm so sorry about your mom... that hurts me... and your talk about the cattle reminds me of my grandpa... o heck, now i need to wipe tears from my eyes, too...

sunvalleylaw
January 26th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Sorry about the stress in your life right now, but glad you had a really nice moment with your Mom. My Mom and Dad also expected/demanded my best so I know how important such validation is.

ted s
January 26th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Big hug for CB ..

Tone2TheBone
January 26th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Eventually some of our tough parents "come around".... ;) :) Great story CB...very cool.

PAPPY
January 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM
i'm a big, goofy, 5'11" german mutt tomboy I would like to respectfully disagree with that statement, "i'm a tall, intelligent, 5'11" german BEAUTIFUL SPECIAL LADY" would come closer to describing you my friend. So glad you had a good visit with your MOM. I also agree that you and Shiner should go on a raod trip......at least over to Star, Tx., we missed you two not being with us over the weekend but I know priorities are in place so am looking forward to a later time when we can "get er done" on the guitars. Still have your kin in my prayers.

Childbride
January 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM
[blush]

thank you, my friend.

we really missed hooking up with you and your cousin this weekend to jam, that would have been awesome. another weekend, and soon, i hope.

and the kin in question is still hanging on... i'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. i guess it's just What Is.

thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers.

tot_Ou_tard
January 27th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Nice moment with your Mom CB! I hope you can keep your spirits up through the tough times.

My wife's mother is German as well.

Childbride
January 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM
thank you, Tot... :)

Brian Krashpad
January 28th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Congrats!

My dad plays banjo and a little gutar so he's always approved.

My mom has been asking me when I was going to "grow out of" being in bands for at least the last 15 years.

piebaldpython
January 28th, 2008, 12:22 PM
CB, at least you got some validation out of your Mom. I'm still waiting to get some from mine, even after 51 years. Sheesh!!! She might say something nice about me to my Dad, but never directly to me. Her reasoning (according to my Dad) is that if she compliments me, I might get a swelled head over it. So, because of THAT, I make damn sure that Baby Cobra knows that I admire the heck out of her for whatever she accomplishes in life. Mom's Hungarian/Rumanian and sometimes that stoicism drives me nuts. :rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
January 28th, 2008, 08:05 PM
thank you, Tot... :)

I should be thanking you...you're the one who brings soul to this place.

tot_Ou_tard
January 28th, 2008, 08:06 PM
CB, at least you got some validation out of your Mom. I'm still waiting to get some from mine, even after 51 years. Sheesh!!! She might say something nice about me to my Dad, but never directly to me. Her reasoning (according to my Dad) is that if she compliments me, I might get a swelled head over it. So, because of THAT, I make damn sure that Baby Cobra knows that I admire the heck out of her for whatever she accomplishes in life. Mom's Hungarian/Rumanian and sometimes that stoicism drives me nuts. :rotflmao:

Well *WE* like you piebald!

That never makes up for parental pain, but often it's what *really* gets us through!

just strum
January 28th, 2008, 08:26 PM

Pie, I'm in the same boat, won't get into the sad story here, but stories like CB's are great to read.

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Heck, my wife is full Dutch, though raised here in the States, and her mom, who lives next door, is from Holland. Nice ladies, I love them both. But handing out warm fuzzies is not typically their way.

I have had some nice experiences with my Dad since I started playing guitar. He is an excellent musician (sax and piano) and my starting playing has brought us closer together. I am glad CB got a little recognition. It sure feels nice.

oldguy
January 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM
My Mom was always very supportive of me playing any music. My Dad will say something isn't too bad, if that's what you like, but that's not country!:D :D
That's what he told me the first time I played "Galveston", by Glen Campbell, for him. "That's not country."
And he's right. :)

Tone2TheBone
January 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
My mother was never supportive of my guitar playing. Consider yourself lucky if yours was. However if my real father were alive I'd probably want his support and acceptance more than my mother's FWIW.

pes_laul
January 29th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Im glad my parents are always been supportive of my guitar playing. both my dad and step dad play guitar and their always pushing me to learn new scales, songs, Etc. Even if they absolutely hate the music I play they still support it.