PDA

View Full Version : Nashville rewire

Bucks Owin
January 26th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Wonder how easy it would be to rewire the center switch position on the DNP Tele to select the bridge and neck pups instead of the middle pickup? Seems odd that Fender didn't wire that way since it's the way "normal" Teles work....
Otherwise, it's nothing more than a "TexMex Strat with a Tele body" right?

Smell wood burning?

Dennis

duhvoodooman
January 26th, 2008, 02:37 PM
But the way it's currently wired gives you the Strat "quack" combos at switch positions 2 & 4, which you'd lose one of if you swap the middle with either the bridge or the neck on the 5-way switch. But you can have the best of both worlds. Check out THIS (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2897) wiring mod I did on my own Nashville Tele. This uses a push-pull pot to allow you to add the bridge pickup in parallel with any other pickup combination. Not only can you get the bridge/neck classic Tele combo, you can also get all three pickups together. Pretty cool!

Algonquin
January 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Might be difficult to add a 'push/pull' pot to the Power Nashville as the front knob is a stacked volume/tone combo, while the back knob is strictly volume for the Piezo's.

A separate toggle switch would likely have to be added to complete this mod.

:beer:

duhvoodooman
January 26th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Ahh, good point. Not an ussue with my non-Power NT, which didn't have these additional constraints!

Yep, a simple 2-way toggle switch would do the job, but you'd have to drill a hole in the pickguard....

sunvalleylaw
January 26th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Ahh, good point. Not an ussue with my non-Power NT, which didn't have these additional constraints!

Yep, a simple 2-way toggle switch would do the job, but you'd have to drill a hole in the pickguard....

I think I would go for your NT, rather than the Piezo, for that reason.

Algonquin
January 27th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I think a small toggle would fit nicely out of the way between the two knobs drilled through the metal plate. A switch mounted on the pick guard might get in the way when strumming freely.

I removed the pick guard screws (strings still on) yesterday to have a peek underneath. I was expecting it to be routed like a strat, but there is 'one' large cavity for both the centre and neck P/U. Retrofitting this guitar with a humbucker in the neck would only require the pick guard to be cut to fit... nice to know if this mod interests you.

Bucks Owin
January 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I think a small toggle would fit nicely out of the way between the two knobs drilled through the metal plate. A switch mounted on the pick guard might get in the way when strumming freely.

I owned a custom built "Tele" at one time which had 2 Dimarzio HB's in it. I had a small micro switch installed between the pots to enable in/out of phase switching which I never felt was in the way. It's appearance didn't do anything for me though....

What I had in mind was eliminating the "middle pup only" option and having the middle switch position activate the neck/bridge pups instead. Since I'm such a dimbulb at understanding wiring, maybe this isn't feasible....

Dennis

SuperSwede
January 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Yeehaw.. Dennis what a great band name: Bucks Owins and the Nashville Rewires!

Bucks Owin
January 29th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Yeehaw.. Dennis what a great band name: Bucks Owins and the Nashville Rewires!

Nah....

"Bucks Owin & Bakersfield Bigfoot"......

lmao,

Dennis :R