PDA

View Full Version : Mrs8

Steve206
January 26th, 2008, 06:41 PM
For those of you out there with one of these machines,,,,

I have the $300.00 version, W/O the CD or HD.

I am having a hell of a time getting the projects off of the Zoom and onto the hard drive of the computer, Dell PC.

The sound card is a sound blaster live. Inputs for mic and line in. Does not record in stereo. Using a patch cord with RCA plugs out of the Zoom that transition into a 1/8" plug for the sound card. The same plug that you find on the end of earbuds, that seem to provide stereo to each ear.

Tried the sound card reader. There is either something wrong with the sound card reader or something wrong with me. I even went to wal mart to get a second, much cheaper, card reader and I get the same pop up window, saying that there are no photos on the card. DUH!!!!

Need some very basic help from some of the members who are doing what I want to do.

Thanks ahead,,,

Steve

Justaguyin_nc
January 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I'll stumble through this and try to see if I can help you...

First..the songs are stored on a SD card in the MRS-8 correct?

you insert it into the card reader on your computer and up pops .. sorry no pictures.. correct?

that would be due to some software on your system.. kodak etc.. which looks for pictures when a SD card is inserted.. ignore it..

What you want to do.. is open "Windows Explorer" not Internet Explorer..

Windows Explorer allows you to view the content on hard drives and SD cards etc..

With windows explorer open.. go up and down the list till you find the SD card listed..you may have to chose COMPUTER first to list all drives and cards available.. it could be a number of different location names compared to the computer used.. Hopefully, one icon will actually say SD/MMC card or something like that..

click it.. your files will appear on the right side.. those saved from the mrs-8 recordings to SD card..

now you can highlight and right mouse click one of those files.. and choose copy..

then goto say C hard drive and maybe a folder name music or whatever you have it setup for..or set it up by creating a folder you wish to move mrs-8 files to..

then just right click in the right window and choose paste..

that should move files off the SD card and onto the hard drive you choose..

Hope this helps...

Windows explorer by default is under accessories in start/all programs/

Click on it.. and away ya go... hope this helps...
BTW, I am assuming your meaning as soundcard reader as the SD card reader. I don't know of anything called a sound card reader and I been doing this awhile.. so hopefully..this is what you mean... an SD card can hold many different types of files... and as you have noticed..photos are among the main ones used..

at the same token.. you can run the files right there on the SD card if you wish..once you find them.. click them and use open with windows media player.. they should load and run then.. ofcourse they are NOT on your computer.. they still only reside on the SD (Secure Digital) Card.

Steve206
January 26th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks, Justaguy,,,,

I got more from that, than anything in the Zoom manual or from those windows tutorials.

I will definitely give it a try and let you know how it works.

I find it intriguing that I can spend these amounts of money and end up begging on street corners for information on how to use the machine.

But then again, I am a computer dumbass.

Thanks,,,

Steve

Justaguyin_nc
January 26th, 2008, 07:51 PM
haha.. there is no begging here... we all help each other..justa ask..;)

Spudman
January 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I find it intriguing that I can spend these amounts of money and end up begging on street corners for information on how to use the machine.

Steve

Wow, from forum to street corner and on another thread a butcher shop. Thefret.net is certainly a versatile place.

I hope you get that figured out because I have a card reader that wont let me see information too and I've even tried what Justa suggests. I have the Zoom 1044 with the optional USB hookup so I can't be of much help other than to say that I had problems initially with the Zoom file formats.

stingx
January 26th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I saw your PM about this. I was looking for a little write up I could give you. All you need is the software you can download from

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/download/software/mrs8/CardMgr_E.exe

and a USB SD Card reader.

When you're done recording turn off the MRS-8, remove the card, pop into the card reader and plug it into a USB port.

Launch the Card Manager software. Click the drive on the right that represents the letter of the card reader you plugged in. Open to the folder of your project,
select what you want to export. I usually master so I just select the mastered track to export. You could select all of them, some of them, whatever you are looking to export. Once selected click export a pick a place on your PC to have the exported file(s) written to.

Steve206
January 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks folks,,

I think it was the windows explorer and the right clicking that sealed the deal.

The stuff plays on Itunes but not on Windows Media Player, not a problem.

Thanks again,,,

Steve

Justaguyin_nc
January 28th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks folks,,

I think it was the windows explorer and the right clicking that sealed the deal.

The stuff plays on Itunes but not on Windows Media Player, not a problem.

Thanks again,,,

Steve

Glad it helped... Which program plays it has to do with what file types are assigned to what programs.. this can also be changed...

But that right click on file works here too..

Just right click on the file you wish to play or edit and there should be a command called

"Open With" and there you should find a list of all or most of the programs that will open that type file... associated with...

:AOK:

Tidder
April 7th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Hi,

I came across this group and I saw that some people had trouble using their Zoom MRS-8. Well folks I'd like to point out that there's a user group for the MRS-8 on Yahoo:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/zoommrs8

and a Wiki too:

http://zoommrs8.wetpaint.com

Lots of helpful gurus out there!

Cheers from the Netherlands,
Theodoor van Heugten

Spudman
April 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Good news for me Tidder. Thanks. I've always struggled a bit with some of the functions on mine. I'll bet I can get answers at the forum. I didn't know there was one.

stingx
April 7th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Here's the best site for the MRS-8:

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/index.php

I will never part with mine. I have had it for several years and I find it indispensable - not just for ideas but it's capable of very impressive recordings.