PDA

View Full Version : FAQ forum

player
January 26th, 2008, 07:42 PM
just a random thought here but maybe the board here could use an FAQ forum so that already posted and questions asked do not need to be asked again
and answered again and again..all that would entail is asking someone to look in the FAQ forum for answers(if one is formed) unless everyone likes repeating themselves about this or that topic i.e, which guitar to buy first - this question gets asked too many times as do many others.should a good answer be found that covers a topic well put it in the FAQ and refer people there instead of typing our brains out.
it would also open the way for other valid questions as well.like I said it is just a thought but worth thinking about.
example:
FAQ
Find answers to frequently asked questions here.

just strum
January 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I think just about every question has been asked, so you would shut down the forum and it would become an information booth. I don't buy into the "go search" responses that sometimes appear. A lot of repeated questions will provide additional discussion and possibly better information than what was provided the first time.

The idea of a forum is to have discussion, if I want to just get answers, I'll Google. IMHO

Spudman
January 26th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Generally a FAQ would probably consist of forum operational material. I think it would be impossible to do a FAQ for general topics because the forum is a growing, living thing and gets new input continually.

If you need answers just ask. We all love to share and help however we can.

player
January 26th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Generally a FAQ would probably consist of forum operational material. I think it would be impossible to do a FAQ for general topics because the forum is a growing, living thing and gets new input continually.

If you need answers just ask. We all love to share and help however we can.
maybe FAQ was not the right protocol that's what just strum sees it but it is precisely the point,turn the forum more towards discussion Not shut down a good thing which is what it is.not an information booth per se or search engine.rather an open means to generate more discussion on any given topic that can branch off into other areas too.have always and will always help out others as well.not saying go search anything,just a springboard of sorts to generate new and other convesation concerning out craft,from beginners to advanced,if ''go search'' is the way it came off it was not meant that way at all.it was meant to use as a way of bringing in more players,even those contimplating picking up a guitar,encouragement if you will - been doing this(playing guitar) for four decades.questions have been asked Great!! have all of them lead to others?Have experience Thank You.here to add not necessarily ask if that makes any sense.

just strum
January 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I see your point about a springboard, but I'm not sure it would provide additional discussion. I think a lot of people would feel that found their answer and move on.

One thing that should be promoted is the search for information on the forum and then resurrecting one of the threads that are found. By doing this it brings up previous researched information and ignites further discussion. I am guilty of not doing this, but I also find that it's difficult to search some items because many keywords are common place and pull up far too many results.

I've probably moved your subject way off center, let's hope no one does a search and brings up this thread. Sorry if I derailed your point.

Robert
January 27th, 2008, 09:43 AM
But hey, maybe we need a good FAQ on how to do a search!?

just strum
January 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Hmmm, maybe you are right (it must be the shoes). It seems simple, but maybe we need tips and the suggestion to bump the thread back up to initiate further discussion if needed.

tot_Ou_tard
January 27th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I agree no need to have anything in a FAQ, except administrative stuff: how to search, introduce yourself, etc.

I love resurrected threads. I think a good game to play is for those who are interested to occasionally dig around and bring back interesting old threads. This would also provide a sense on continuity for the new members.

Radioboy950
January 27th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I love resurrected threads. I think a good game to play is for those who are interested to occasionally dig around and bring back interesting old threads.

Yes, indeed. Otherwise I may have never found the origins of "amphs" ...and
"With this amph I get no screaming solos"....oh, and...
"999999 times out of a 1000000 it will turn on":rotflmao:

just strum
January 27th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I agree no need to have anything in a FAQ, except administrative stuff: how to search, introduce yourself, etc.

I love resurrected threads. I think a good game to play is for those who are interested to occasionally dig around and bring back interesting old threads. This would also provide a sense on continuity for the new members.

OT, but I just noticed your avatar - If the Spudman and tot_Ou_tard families were to unite, that would be the result.

player
January 27th, 2008, 01:25 PM
very interesting point there Robert.was not going to bring this up but since you have.True an FAQ should or could just contain admin stuff,etc. meantime back to the train of thought ...what I think would benefit the forum would be a search engine of sorts,in other words an engine the will pick up on key words and direct anyone to the proper threads that have those key words in it.don't know how difficult that would be to incorporate being the forum does have a search function already that I've not tested for anything like accuracy to take anyone where they may need to go or see.one that searches this forum exclusively too not just google although that is another option to give users,like checking the forum first idea myself..thoughts?
my own thoughts here or opinion so milage may vary on it.other points seen are well taken.Yes let us hope not a whole lot see this thread agreed.
as stated before just looking for ways to help or perhaps improve an already good thing.

tot_Ou_tard
January 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM
OT, but I just noticed your avatar - If the Spudman and tot_Ou_tard families were to unite, that would be the result.
That is a disturbing thought.

Deeply disturbing.

player
January 27th, 2008, 06:52 PM
tOta- should not the present avatar you show go to spudman? you may be the tater in the tot but isn't a spud the real deal.

guessing Robert will have to chime in on the idea posted

sorry here way way off topic:thwap:

Spudman
January 27th, 2008, 08:01 PM
tOta- should not the present avatar you show go to spudman?

Well, that is a frequently asked question. Yet there is only one true spudman

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/People/Spudhead005.jpg

player
January 27th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Really? that's an FAQ...Mr. potato head there is a good one too.
seems we are off topic but having a little fun at it anyway.when Robert does check it He probably will address the issue at hand(pun intended)

Robert
January 27th, 2008, 09:09 PM
You guys just go ahead with the show. :) I'm just eating some potato chips and while watching this show anyway.... :munch:

player
January 27th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Munch away Robert .you mean the post at the top with your quote does not intrigue you?it had me thinking,besides this sideshow and funnin round.there is food for thought there me thinks:confused: