PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Valveking 112 Combo

piebaldpython
January 27th, 2008, 09:15 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442&src=3WFRWXX&CAWELAID=26039972

50 watts, class A and A/B, 2 channels, reverb, boost, EQ on both channels, the whole nine yards for $399. ahahahhha I should just shoot myself!!! The SIRENS are pulling me in ALL directions.

mikew
January 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I'm on the edge of buying one of those.......darn GAS!

Radioboy950
January 27th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I tried the 2x12 version on the floor of the local GC. Sure had lots of power. This line seems to be a pretty good value, and I love an amp with 6L6s in the power section!

Sblack
January 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I tested one out for a while. At low volumes, it sounded great (if you like gainy tones -- I do). Once you start to pump the volume up, the tone got brittle and harsh, no matter what eq or "texture" switch changes I made. Many people have complained about needing a speaker replacement with the Valve King. After my trial, I understood why.

LagrangeCalvert
January 28th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Our drummers brother has the 1x12 50 watt. Did you also play with the "loose/tight" button on the back to control the speaker? It can mean the difference between modern metal "scooped" (IMHO brittle) sound and a more vintage speaker feel. It has tons o' bells and whistles. I really really liked the amp for higher gain. The clean channel was OK.....I like the BRITE switch and there is deff. an audible difference in tone. The one he has, he's played quite a bit and once the speaker is broken in on it the thing is a beast IMHO.

I don't think the 2x12 is as good as the 1x12. The texture knobs seem to work against the EQ IMO. For the price its pretty badass though.

Sblack
January 28th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Did you also play with the "loose/tight" button on the back to control the speaker? It can mean the difference between modern metal "scooped" (IMHO brittle) sound and a more vintage speaker feel.
I did play with the resonance switch, too. And I should have given it more time for speaker break in. The first few days I loved it. After time, however, I realized it was just too far away from what I wanted to hear.

Tone is subjective, and many people love the Valve Kings amps.