PDA

View Full Version : Vox Adxxvt Users.........

piebaldpython
January 27th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Hey, all you VOXERS out there. I'm curious about some things re VOX ADVT line:
1) Do they take pedals well?
2) Is the GAIN knob as effective on your amps as it is on tube amps to dial in some crunch or distortion?
3) Any "downsides" to the AD30VT line?

TS808
January 27th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Hey, all you VOXERS out there. I'm curious about some things re VOX ADVT line:
1) Do they take pedals well?
2) Is the GAIN knob as effective on your amps as it is on tube amps to dial in some crunch or distortion?
3) Any "downsides" to the AD30VT line?

I use a TS-9 Tubescreamer, Boss OD-3, and a Boss ME-50 with my AD50VT 212 and the amp takes pedals very well in my opinion.

The gain knob is very responsive...you can get tons of gain on some of the Marshall, Mesa, and Soldano models...put it this way, you can find practically any sound you want with it.

Reliability is reportedly an issue, although I've never had any problems with my Vox amps...I had the AD100VT and eventually went with the AD50VT for better volume control.

If you're looking at the AD30VT, I'd recommend spending a few bucks more and get the 50-watter with a 12" speaker.

duhvoodooman
January 30th, 2008, 10:17 AM
1) Yes. I've used many different pedals with my AD30VT, with uniformly good results.

2) Yes. The modern amp models all use the Gain control to roll on that super-saturated sound. Works well.

3) Depends on what you're using it for. Mine suits me just fine. I've had no reliability issues, but I've read some grumbling on that point. The input jack is famously fragile and tends to fall into the amp if abused (so don't abuse it!). The two main issues I'd point to are:

The stock speaker tends to be a bit harsh on highs and muddy on lows. A Celestion G10 Vintage (~$85) solved both issues for me.

The effects are quite well done and nicely controllable, but you're locked into only being able to use them singly or in preset pairs. For instance, if you want to use the phaser with reverb--sorry, not an option. But that's what pedals are for....

Ger the man
March 28th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Ive got an AD50VT, the only thing I notice using pedals is that the tone is very much affected if you use cheap pedals (could be true for all amps?)

Cheers