PDA

View Full Version : ? on Amps with selectable power output..

Algonquin
January 27th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I've seen a few tube amps on the market that state you can run the amp at full output in one mode, and at half output in another mode.

Has anyone tried one of these? and was the half output mode actually usefull?

Traynor is one company that markets this in the YCS 50 and 90. The 50 can operate at 15w, and the 90 at 20w's.

I'm curious if this makes it a feasible amp for home usage.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

oldguy
January 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I've played the YCS 50 at a local music store on both settings. The lower setting does lower the volume somewhat, and changes the tone as well. I think it would tame it enough to used at home, but it can still get loud at 15w. I use the YCV 40 WR Anniversary at home, I just turn it down. I thought the lower output mode would be more useful in getting the amp to break up earlier, rather than lower the volume appreciably........
"Home usage" is a dodgy term...... if a 5w like the Epi Valve Jr is cranked full up it's pretty loud even at home.

Algonquin
January 27th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks Glenn.

What was your take on the 50 you tried out? I've heard your WR40 and think it sounds great! I went over to my local shop Saturday afternoon, but do you think I stood a chance at getting into the amp room with all the young guns trying out guitars?... Not Likely!

There's one clip currently on YouTube which sounds really good. A young fellow runs through some of the amps sounds at the 15w level... pretty nice.

The 50 to me looks like a fairly decent combo with a lot of versatility.

markb
January 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
15w is still pretty loud. Half power switches always change the tone as well as they switch the power tubes from full pentode operation to triode operation (usually). A friend had a Marshall 25/50, basically the Jubilee without the 25th anniversary livery. It sounded awful on half power, I told him he should have bought the Studio 15 but did he listen?

Tone2TheBone
January 27th, 2008, 11:12 PM
My Marshall Silver Jubilee is the 25/50 configuration and it sounds damn good in "low" power mode. The output volume is reduced somewhat but it's still freakin' loud when you expect it to be. What it does is tame some of the really high frequencies that are usually present in most Marshalls and it sorta browns the sound and makes it warmer...softer. Since I play semi clean to dirty these days I prefer that mode. If I want more raunch with a Les Paul (humbuckers) I might switch it back up to hi power but even at low power my LP is still very raunchy but in a very smooth way. I like how the speakers pump in low power mode. A very brown sound for sure.

mr5-x3sxt8g

g1KqwfFCE4c

SuperSwede
January 28th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Awesome clips Rob. I guess that you dont really need to use the 50w mode very often? The 25w sounds sooo sweet!

Algonquin
January 28th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Awesome clips Rob. I guess that you dont really need to use the 50w mode very often? The 25w sounds sooo sweet!
Tone... that is one serious amp you've got there! It looks and sounds fantastic at the 25w level. :master:

Tone2TheBone
January 28th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks you guys. I totally love this amp. It's huge sounding for being an open backed 2x12 combo. It's pretty much set to the 25 watt setting all the time I seldom if ever switch it just cause it's got "that sound" you know what I mean? I should do another clip with the Les Paul in the dirty channel because it's got that perfect high gain George Lynch tone and saturation just as a comparison between these 2 clips. I can switch from the Fenders to the Gibson and the only knob I touch is the channel switch. All the amp tone settings stay the same for all the guitars and my preamp gain knob is set at 7. I can go from clean to dirty to all out high gain with the push or pull of a knob...and all in the 25 watt mode.

I haven't tried other amps with this feature so I can't comment about them but I do know that lower wattage amps seem to sound pretty damn good...even for home use (to answer your original question) so I can't see how having an amp that does this would be a bad thing. It's a good feature to have.

markb
January 28th, 2008, 01:41 PM
It must be my memory playing tricks, his was the 1x12 model. I once tried a 2x12 and almost bought it on the spot but the shop owner decided to keep it for himself.

SuperSwede
January 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks you guys. I totally love this amp. It's huge sounding for being an open backed 2x12 combo. It's pretty much set to the 25 watt setting all the time I seldom if ever switch it just cause it's got "that sound" you know what I mean? I should do another clip with the Les Paul in the dirty channel because it's got that perfect high gain George Lynch tone and saturation just as a comparison between these 2 clips. I can switch from the Fenders to the Gibson and the only knob I touch is the channel switch. All the amp tone settings stay the same for all the guitars and my preamp gain knob is set at 7. I can go from clean to dirty to all out high gain with the push or pull of a knob...and all in the 25 watt mode.

I haven't tried other amps with this feature so I can't comment about them but I do know that lower wattage amps seem to sound pretty damn good...even for home use (to answer your original question) so I can't see how having an amp that does this would be a bad thing. It's a good feature to have.

Yeah we gotta have more clips.. I really want to hear the Tele through the dirty channel! (and the les paul, and the 50´s strat, and the 60´s strat.. ;) )

M29
January 28th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Tone2TheBone :rockon:

M29

Radioboy950
January 28th, 2008, 05:33 PM
This is a GREAT feature.
My Quiana has what Rivera calls a "Modern/Vintage" switch.
Modern is the full 50w, brighter with the most headroom, emphasizing one set of harmonics.
Vintage emphasizes other harmonics, and takes it down to about 25w. I prefer playing the amp in this mode because it is smooth, rich and creamy.

oldguy
January 28th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks Glenn.

What was your take on the 50 you tried out?

I liked it.