PDA

View Full Version : this is one excited scotsman

scottish_bluesman
January 28th, 2008, 04:26 AM
end of february i will be proud owner of

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0135300367

cannot wait :D

oh folks you should check out this 17 year old on myspace
album is coming out soon and he plays all instruments on album (his guitar work is exceptional and can see him touring tenessee soon)

www.myspace.com/solphilcox

tot_Ou_tard
January 28th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Wow it Nashville Tele-time at the ol' fret!! Congrats!!

Brian Krashpad
January 28th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Congratulations laddie!

Post pics on arrival!

Algonquin
January 28th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Congrats on the new guitar Scotty... You're going to love it!

http://www.fender.com/products//sounds/guitars/0135300.mp3

Bucks Owin
January 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Nice choice!

Dennis

Robert
January 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Sweet, Scotsman. I can understand the excitement! :AOK:

just strum
January 28th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I wasn't a big Tele fan, but threads like this can convert someone into a fan - I feel it growing on me.

Very nice SB:AOK:

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Looks sweet!

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 05:51 PM
very nice scottblue...gotta love them teles....at least i do! :bravo:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
January 28th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I wasn't a big Tele fan, but threads like this can convert someone into a fan - I feel it growing on me.

Very nice SB:AOK:
They're still butt-ugly though, right Strumster :D?

just strum
January 28th, 2008, 07:36 PM
They're still butt-ugly though, right Strumster :D?

Yep, but why the desire? Maybe it's the twang.

tot_Ou_tard
January 28th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Yep, but why the desire? Maybe it's the twang. Yes the

*TWANG*

is a big part of it, but I've come to understand that a tele is the joker in the deck.

Great rhythm guitar

Great slide guitar

Great blues guitar.

Can pull off jazz n' punk n' god knows what else.

It's still a butt-ugly joker :rotflmao:.

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM
It's still a butt-ugly joker :rotflmao:.
i think it is a great looking guitar...but then i like the vintage style....that's why i drive a 1954 ford pickup truck...

ww

tot_Ou_tard
January 28th, 2008, 08:03 PM
i think it is a great looking guitar...but then i like the vintage style....that's why i drive a 1954 ford pickup truck...

ww

But your ford is all roundy.

What made Leo think that the best thing was to take shears to the pickguard?!?

Butt-ugly I say...

...butt in a good way :D.

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM
But your ford is all roundy.

What made Leo think that the best thing was to take shears to the pickguard?!?

Butt-ugly I say...

...butt in a good way :D.
true...but i still like it better than the strat...the tele is more like like a manly guitar... :AOK:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
January 28th, 2008, 08:12 PM
true...but i still like it better than the strat...the tele is more like like a manly guitar... :AOK:

ww
Do you hear that Robert?

Warren is calling you a pansy, wussy, girly-man.

Are you gonna take it?!?

Warren, what is your opinion about the wussitude of a guitar named Les?

I'm sure Johnny Cash could manly it up some ;).

just strum
January 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM

ww

Buy a Tele, the manly guitar.

One not as butt ugly as I use to think they were, but I still want the Strat before I think about a Tele. However, scottish bluesman's picture makes it awfully hard to resist.

It's like the ugliest girl in school and then you find out her daddy is really filthy rich - suddenly the interest perks up. (Before the ladies attack me, I know it was a male chauvinistic statement)

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2008, 08:36 PM

ww

Yeah, Robert, plus Hendrix, SRV, Dick Dale, Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, Tommy Bolin, Clapton, Robert Cray, Knoppfler, Buddy Holly (the first strat hero!) Robin Trower, John Mayer, all wusses for sure. ;) :D

I still waffle between a tele with a bucker in the neck, and a LP type for a second guitar. SB, yours sure looks nice though, and helps make me lean in the tele direction.

tot_Ou_tard
January 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah, Robert, plus Hendrix, SRV, Dick Dale, Jeff Beck, Tommy Bolin, Clapton, Robert Cray, Knoppfler, Buddy Holly (the first strat hero!) Robin Trower, John Mayer, all wusses for sure. ;) :D

I still waffle between a tele with a bucker in the neck, and a LP type for a second guitar.

Put a P90 in the neck of that tele & you've got a clear winner :D.

just strum
January 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM
scottish bluesman,

For the record yours isn't butt ugly, but it may not be manly enough for some people's standards:D

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Yeah, Robert, plus Hendrix, SRV, Dick Dale, Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, Tommy Bolin, Clapton, Robert Cray, Knoppfler, Buddy Holly (the first strat hero!) Robin Trower, John Mayer, all wusses for sure. ;) :D

I still waffle between a tele with a bucker in the neck, and a LP type for a second guitar. SB, yours sure looks nice though, and helps make me lean in the tele direction.
a lot of those guys started with non-strat guitars...un til they got payed to play them

jeff beck could make a tele sound like no one else...clapton with a 335 had way better tone than his strat....buddy holly was good enough with a tele to make it big....not to mention roy buchanan, keef richards and on and on...

hey don't get me wrong...strats are ok...but give me a tele and a les paul and i'm good to go! of course i suck at playing guitar so my opinion is...well...just my opinion... :whatever:

ww :greenguitar:

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Hey, ww, don't get me wrong either. I think a tele looks like a nice guitar, and certainly has a heavy list of players as well. One may just come my way one day. I say go with the guitar that feels right! And, I suck too, so anything that comes out of my mouth is just a newb's opinion. Just had to stick up for those girly man guitarists I listed though! ;) :beer:

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I say go with the guitar that feels right!
absolutely....that is definitely they key!! :beer: :rockon:

ww

scottish_bluesman
January 29th, 2008, 02:44 AM
hehe thanks folks

and bonus i was thinking it would be a month but my lovely gf has put it on card so may be end of this week this now means monthes of:master: to her untill i have paid it back, but thats not a bad thing

anyone know any sites with chicken picking licks that i can dig my teeth into ?

scottish_bluesman
January 29th, 2008, 03:47 AM
considering getting a black scratch plate for it actually
think it would look more fitting, any advice on pickups btw ? im looking possibly for one to replace the tex mex strat pickup ideally i play in a very srv style and am looking for something to give me that edge ? i will probably find though that the mid pickup will sound great and just leave stock. I just have to see how long my impatience lasts till it arrives. lol

oldguy
January 29th, 2008, 08:33 AM
You might try here. This guys pretty good. I've found many useful lessons on this site. He explains it nicely also.;)

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-13.php

That Tele you're getting is a beautiful work of art, a workhorse of an axe, and should serve well for years of playing. Leo built a basic tool that working musician's could afford. Congrats on choosing such a lovely instrument, you have an eye for what's important in a guitar, not just the "Oooh, Shiny! Pretty!" factor.......like so many others.........:D :D :D :beer: :beer:
Seriously, Tele's are cool. That's why sooooo many great guitarists have used them. That's why I love my Butterscotch blonde '52 copy. It looks cool.

IMO you should wait to actually get your hands on that Tele and play it awhile before changing pickups in it. You may find it sounds just fine as is..........

Bucks Owin
January 29th, 2008, 11:03 AM
IMO you should wait to actually get your hands on that Tele and play it awhile before changing pickups in it. You may find it sounds just fine as is..........

Absolutely! Amen Brother!

IMNSHO, the Nashville Tele is the ultimate "working axe". It WILL replace several guitars at a REAL gig. All this crap about installing a P-90 (or whatever) is totally unnecessary and will wreck the value of your axe in the decades down the road. If you want to sound like a Gibson, buy a Gibson! (Although why is beyond me, the Nashville will do those tones too)

Never mind the "armchair sound engineers" and just wring that baby out. You likely won't find it's limits but you won't be sorry you got it.....

47 yrs of "hands on" guitar experience talking,

another "old guy" :R

Dennis

BTW, wouldn't it be fun if a "blind sound check" were possible? A Nashville Tele behind curtain #1 and "whatever" behind curtain #2. I bet 95% of the "experts" telling you how your axe needs "brand X" pups won't be able to tell you which guitar is which......(And if you want to bring them to tears of frustration, use a "modeling" amp for the test!!!) lol

scottish_bluesman
February 4th, 2008, 04:49 AM
well been 5 days, gave shop a call to find out if they have received the guitar from the bods at fender, so hopefully will be end of play today they receive it and all going well i get it before end of week :-D

cant say i will get much work done in the office with it sitting there calling to me to be unleashed from its cardboard prison it arrives in :thwap: