PDA

View Full Version : How's the weather?

Robert
January 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Right now, it's quite miserable here. Minus 32 degrees Celsius (-26 degrees Fahrenheit). But wait, there's more! :D The wind is 30 km/h with gusts up to 40 km/h.

Someone come and take me away to the land of beaches and palm trees... heck, anywhere but here! :mad:

Brian Krashpad
January 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM
You Canucks are gonna hate me.

It's 59 F here and beautifully sunny, should reach 66 F later. It got down to just above freezing last night, but yesterday I went our town's midieval faire for 4 or 5 hours and actually got a sunburn on my forehead. When I left to go to the fair I was wearing a t-shirt, sweatshirt, and leather, but midway through it became clear it was too warm for that, so the sweatshirt went back in the van.

For north Florida it's a smidge cold, though not far off the average for this time of year, but nothing like you in northern climes have to deal with.

Robert
January 28th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Brian, all Canucks now officially hate you. Congrats.

:) :D

R_of_G
January 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM
high of 67 here [about 64 right now]. supposed to be back in the high 70's tomorrow and thru the wknd. take that canada!

just strum
January 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Going to be in the mid 40's F today and day time temps should be in the 30's the rest of the week - I'm wearing my thong swim suit.

Yesterday they had an article in the paper about a blizzard that took place on Jan 27, 1978. 80+ mile per hour winds, snow, people stranded, people buried - it was like they dropped a nuke. I remember I was getting ready to leave my apartment building and as I hit the bottom of the steps I saw sections of the roof flying across the parking lot and then all the windows on the south side of the building blew out (I lived on the north side).

I'll take what we're getting now.

Well so much for accuracy - It's 13 degree F, trees and wires down in and around Cleveland, power out, schools closed. I thought the roof of our house was going to get torn off. Tomorrow forecast 35 degrees F

Bloozcat
January 28th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I won't rub it in....:)

Algonquin
January 28th, 2008, 11:49 AM
It's hovering around the freezing mark here in Southern Ontario.

The weather Robert has is a bit too much, and it looks like you won't see any relief until the end of the week.

For me, I'd like it a little colder, and a bit more snow on the ground.

marnold
January 28th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Mercifully, we're getting a break from the cold here. Not only are we above zero, the low for tonight is actually above freezing! Of course, the high for Wednesday is back down to 6F. It's been a cold, snowy winter here.

pie_man_25
January 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM
we have had the weirdest winter weather ever! this week is the only REAL snow we have here in essex, other than that the snow basically did not exist. what happened to the great white north?!?!?!

*cralls into a corner ands sings random emo song*

Danzego
January 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Here in Oregon, we've actually had something resembling a real winter, complete with a few accumulating snowfalls. The biggest one came two nights ago, leaving about a couple feet or so on the ground (I don't have an exact figure; I would think we would have 4 feet back in Chicago and the news would say we got 8 inches :whatever: ).

It sure is purty out here on the ol' Christmas tree farm, lemme tell ya. I would go out and take some pics, but regretfully I have a cold and don't want to make it worse (darn Kindergarteners and their coughing out into the open air *shakes fist*). :(

Spudman
January 28th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Every major moisture system has either gone to the south or north of us this year. We don't have any snow to go play in.
We are in the low 20s F at noon today and the high winds just eased up a little but yesterday and today have been raging with 40-55 mph winds. No fun.:(

Bucks Owin
January 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Here in Oregon, we've actually had something resembling a real winter, complete with a few accumulating snowfalls. The biggest one came two nights ago, leaving about a couple feet or so on the ground (I don't have an exact figure; I would think we would have 4 feet back in Chicago and the news would say we got 8 inches :whatever: ).

It sure is purty out here on the ol' Christmas tree farm, lemme tell ya. I would go out and take some pics, but regretfully I have a cold and don't want to make it worse (darn Kindergarteners and their coughing out into the open air *shakes fist*). :(

Same scene here in shasta county, NORTH Kalifornia....(at 3400 ft anyway)

Arctic white, just like my Tele! :thwap:

Dennis

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Every major moisture system has either gone to the south or north of us this year. We don't have any snow to go play in.
We are in the low 20s F at noon today and the high winds just eased up a little but yesterday and today have been raging with 40-55 mph winds. No fun.:(

We've been getting the Idaho now Spud's area has not. Snow day closures for school today after a really big storm leaving a good couple feet, and then high winds moving it around for some interesting avalanche conditions. Lots of point releases, etc. visible on the hills today. We have been getting some good snow this year in the Valley of the Sun! :D :AOK:

Spud, you can come visit soon so you will get your day!

Radioboy950
January 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
A lovely shade of Michigan Grey and 40 right now...48 tomorrow. Not too bad for mid winter. :AOK:

marnold
January 28th, 2008, 02:46 PM
This clip seems rather apropos:
kwhUjFoHwS4

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM
kinda chilly here too.....64 degrees....low 40's tonight....brrrr.... :bravo:

ww

Robert
January 28th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Ok, guys, SHUT UP!

You KNOW what I'm going through here... ;)

SuperSwede
January 28th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Here we usually have a lot of snow this time of year.. but what do we get? -2 to +4 C. Almost no snow and the little we get gets washed away by the afternoon rainstorms!

Justaguyin_nc
January 28th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Ok, guys, SHUT UP!

Justaguy walks to the mailbox in teeshirt and shorts..but never says a word to robert... :poke:

Robert
January 28th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I'm gonna come after you Justa, with a big blow torch!

Tomorrow they say it's gonna be minus 38 C, now that's -36.4 F!
Don't want to come over and play an outside gig with me?

just strum
January 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I didn't realize there were so many fretters in Florida. Maybe it's because they tend to "not want to rub it in" when these types of threads pop up.

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Ok, guys, SHUT UP!

Hey now, I love that weather! I know you are a little out on the plains, but do you have any good alpine skiing up your way? Looks like it might be mostly Nordic, but with all your running, wouldn't you like that?

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I'm gonna come after you Justa, with a big blow torch!

Tomorrow they say it's gonna be minus 38 C, now that's -36.4 F!
Don't want to come over and play an outside gig with me?

Oh, ok. Pretty hard to nordic ski, alpine ski or do anything in that.

Robert
January 28th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Nordic ski, you mean cross-country skiing? Yes that is big around here.

We have great down hill skiing in Banff and Jasper, in the Rockies.

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Ahh yes, I know about Jasper and Banff, though I have never been. Is that reasonable driving distance from you?

Robert
January 28th, 2008, 05:39 PM
4-5 hours.

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 05:46 PM
hey us floridians can rub it in while we can....soon it will be f-ing 100 degrees with 99% humidity....then you can rub it in to us!

i do think that with all the floridians on this board we should have a floridian fretter get together!

ww :greenguitar:

oldguy
January 28th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Typical Missouri weather here.......60 degrees F. and sunny today.......tomorrow they call for 25 degrees and snow.......low tomorrow night....15.

Justaguyin_nc
January 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
You would have to come for me with a blow tourch..only way ya could get to movin up there..lol

Robert..on those outside gigs...please DONOT put the strings in your mouth to pick..not till the temp rises a bit....

I am a yankee in North Carolina.. anything above 50F is shorts and teeshirt...

I could never last in florida though.. and would rather have Robert' s cold weather..

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I am a yankee in North Carolina.. anything above 50F is shorts and teeshirt...
same here in florida and i'm a native!...my kids think it must be a special occasion if they see me wearing long pants!! |_/\_| :dude:

ww

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2008, 06:06 PM
same here in florida and i'm a native!...my kids think it must be a special occasion if they see me wearing long pants!! |_/\_| :dude:

ww

Or any pants if pancakes are on the menu! :pancake: :rotflmao:

Justaguyin_nc
January 28th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Or any pants if pancakes are on the menu! :pancake: :rotflmao:

Man, I still get the chills when you guys bring up warren like this...

g8RrEngfjw8

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM
omg...that's the funniest thing i've seen in a long time...of course he cheated....a true naked pancake chef don't need no stinkin' apron!! :eek: :pancake:

ww

just strum
January 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM
This has the makings of a cult.:pancake:

Warren is the Grand Poohba.:pancake: :pancake:

Robert
January 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I think that IS Warren! The goatee is there - he just added a British accent to try and fool us, BUT WE KNOW BETTER! :D

warren0728
January 28th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I think that IS Warren! The goatee is there - he just added a British accent to try and fool us, BUT WE KNOW BETTER! :Dgoatee yes...although mine is longer...but wearing an apron....no way.... :rotflmao:

ww :pancake:

Robert
January 29th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Brr, it is even colder today... -45.4 degrees Fahrenheit (-43 Celsius) and the car refused to start... sigh... another one of *those days*.

sunvalleylaw
January 29th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Brr, it is even colder today... -45.4 degrees Fahrenheit (-43 Celsius) and the car refused to start... sigh... another one of *those days*.

Whoa, that is too brutal. You need to move closer to the coast, like near Vancouver, for a milder winter. Lots of good clubs there too that would really love to be filled with your sounds.

warren0728
January 29th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Brr, it is even colder today... -45.4 degrees Fahrenheit
wow....that is f-ing cold! the coldest weather i was ever in was -20 degrees fahrenheit when i was in minnesota one winter....can't even imagine -45....especially sitting here in my shorts and t-shirt! :rotflmao:

ww

Robert
January 29th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Warren, I am going to ignore that rolling over laughing icon... I'm sure you didn't mean it that way! :D

warren0728
January 29th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Warren, I am going to ignore that rolling over laughing icon... I'm sure you didn't mean it that way! :D
whatever gets you through the day! :beer:

can you even go outside in that kind of weather....seems like you would get frostbite in like 5 seconds....seems like the whole area would shut down during weather like that...

ww

Robert
January 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Oh no, us winter people up here cook pancakes in the nude outside around the campfire, no problemo! :D :D

But you don't want to hang around too long outside in this temperature. It's big boots, mitts and toque needed in general (except for those who cook pancakes).

The county buses are not running today, but city buses are. This is the coldest weather we've had in 10 years.

One thing that's noticeable when it's this cold is that it is very quiet outside. It's like the world stopped for a while.

Here is a news article about our current weather for all you hot fretters: http://www.nationalpost.com/rss/story.html?id=271864

Brian Krashpad
January 30th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Here is a news article about our current weather for all you hot fretters: http://www.nationalpost.com/rss/story.html?id=271864

Weird, when I followed the link in Netscape the header was visible but there was a big space where the text was supposed to be. The code is there for the text though:

As a severe winter storm brought blizzard-like conditions and bone-chilling cold down upon the Prairies, homeowners cranked up the heat, putting record demands on at least one province's power grid, a system operator said Monday.</p>

<p>"We're forecasting there's a good possibility for us to pass the previous record of 9,701 [megawatts per hour] today if the weather continues to be as frigid as it is," Ally Taylor, spokeswoman for the Alberta Electric System Operator, said yesterday.</p>

<p>Calgary, Edmonton, Regina and Winnipeg are all seeing their wind-chill temperatures drop into the range of -30 C and -40 C through the week. By early yesterday morning, Grande Prairie, Alta., had recorded a wind chill of -49 C. Many parts of Alberta, including the Calgary airport, Coronation and Del Bonita, saw wind chills drop to -48 C. Winds there have been measured at 63 km/h.</p>

<p>But there is no need to worry about outages, Ms. Taylor said, and all major generation stations were running smoothly as of Monday.</p>

<p>The coldest temperature recorded in Calgary was -45 C, without the wind chill, back on Feb. 4, 1893.</p><p>Environment Canada meteorologist Dan Kulak said the subzero temperatures should be keeping Calgary in the deep freeze for the next three days, but the weather could improve as early as Thursday with a high of -7.</p>

<p>The Atlantic provinces also were digging out from snow and freezing rain, and B.C. suffered through its own version of wacky weather.</p>

<p>This blast of winter on the Prairies is being attributed to an Arctic ridge of cold air, the Environment Canada Web site said Monday. Some areas of Alberta had as much as 10 centimetres of snow on the weekend, with forecasters predicting at least five more centimetres. </p>

<p>Paul Lapointe, a spokesman for the Calgary emergency management services, said these temperatures were the coldest the city has seen in a long time. His staff was out in full force Monday, making sure the city's homeless took shelter indoors as temperatures plunged to Arctic levels.</p>

<p>"It's strange for us to talk about survival when we're in a city," he said. "But it is about survival, because when you're out there for more than a few minutes, you can get frostbite and risk getting hypothermia." </p>

<p>Mr. Lapointe said people should remember to layer on clothing when heading outdoors and to cover their heads, from which much of the body's heat escapes.</p>

<p>In Edmonton, police forces reported just four collisions causing injuries between 6 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. local time Monday, compared with eight injury collisions in the same time period a week earlier, when the weather was clear.</p>

<p>Early in the day, people seemed to be going easy on their gas pedals or simply staying off the roads altogether, police said.</p><p>But officers still had concerns."People are still doing some of the things that frustrate our officers," said Lisa Lammi, a spokeswoman for the police service's traffic section.</p>

<p>People continued to speed through intersections on red lights, she said. When pulled over, drivers complained icy roads made it impossible for them to stop.</p>

<p>A wind-chill warning has also been issued for Edmonton as temperatures plummet to -46 C. Edmonton buses were running late because of blowing snow, and the driving condition of all major roads leaving Edmonton was poor, according to the the Alberta Motor Association.</p>

<p>Airports in both Calgary and Edmonton, however, were reporting only minor delays.Edmonton International Airport spokesman Jim Rudolph said things were running smoothly, but he recommended people check the airport website and with their airlines to keep abreast of delays or cancellations.</p>

<p>It was much the same story in Winnipeg, where a winter storm watch and blizzard warning were issued, with a bigger blast expected to come Monday night. Wind-chill temperatures there dropped to -27 C by midday and were expected to bottom out at -45 C by Wednesday. </p>

<p>Brian Bechtel, director of a Winnipeg emergency shelter called the Main Street Project, said they increased the number of spaces from 55 to 65 because of the anticipated sub-zero conditions.</p>

<p>"When we had the colder weather in January, it was obvious that we had to turn people away, so we went to the drawing board and said, surely there's someplace here in the building we can shoehorn in a few more folks," he said. </p>

<p>Winds were expected to reach speeds of up to 70 km/h in Winnipeg, with parts of central Manitoba bracing for more snow after 10 centimetres fell on some areas overnight.</p>

<p>Meanwhile, two separate bands of snow and gusting wind have come and gone in Saskatchewan, with much of the province heading into a deep freeze. "We may get the odd flurry, but it has passed through for the most part,"said Saskatoon-based meteorologist Bob Cormier.</p><p>Saskatonians will endure a -48 C wind chill on Tuesday, where the temperature will remain for the remainder of the week.</p><p>But by midday Monday, RCMP in Saskatchewan had not had a single accident reported anywhere outside the urban centres, said Sgt. Tammy Patterson. Like many drivers, some RCMP detachments were keeping their officers off the roads, as well.</p>

<p>"We're not going out there if we don't have to; we're not putting our members at risk," Sgt. Patterson said.</p><p>As the Prairies continue to deal with the subzero temperatures, people living in Nova Scotia, including Cape Breton, and Newfoundland, were hearing severe weather warnings, too.</p>

<p>Areas of Nova Scotia, including Halifax and the counties of Digby, Kings and Cumberland, were expected to be hit with as much as 15 centimetres of snow, as well as prolonged periods of freezing rain and ice pellets. </p>

<p>Environment Canada meteorologist Bob Robichaud said Monday the winter has been particularly nasty to the Atlantic provinces. </p>

<p>"We've had more snow than the average snowfall up to this point in the winter, but the frequency of storms transiting through is definitely above normal," he said. </p><p>Some schools were closed Monday due to a storm that wasn't expected to subside until Tuesday. </p>

<p>Classes at all south-shore schools in Aspotogan, Chester District, Hebbville, and West Northfield were cancelled. </p>

<p>High wind warnings were also issued for all four Atlantic provinces, Robichaud said. </p>

<p>Gusts of up to 90 km/h were expected to blow through the areas of Cape Breton, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick. </p>

<p>Nova Scotia Power spokeswoman Margaret Murphy said that, as of Monday morning, there were no reported outages in the province. She said power lines are most affected during strong windstorms when trees topple onto them, cutting power. </p>

<p>Mr. Robichaud said the bad news is that winter is still far from over for the Atlantic provinces. </p>

<p>"In the next few weeks, there's a series of storms going through," he said. "It's going to be a busy couple of weeks." </p>

<p>The blast of wintery weather hitting the East Coast is unrelated to the wacky weather conditions B.C. experienced over the weekend. </p>

<p>Some areas of Vancouver enjoyed spring-like, sunny conditions Sunday -- in stark contrast to outlying areas such as Burnaby, New Westminister and Delta, which got more than 20 centimetres of snow. </p>

<p>Near-whiteout conditions in these areas caused many accidents on highways in Burnaby and New Westminister. Some transit buses going up mountains in Burnaby needed to be recovered by crews after slipping and sliding due to the icy road conditions. </p>

<p>The conditions were attributed to an unstable air mass that blasted some areas with snow, while others experienced springtime weather.

Yuck, good luck to you northerners. I took a shower here at the office this morning. Still barefoot. :D

oldguy
January 30th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Hope it gets warmer up there soon for all you folks, Robert! 20 below (F.) is about the worst we ever get here in the Midwest, and that's bad enough.....:eek:

Algonquin
January 30th, 2008, 08:21 AM
One thing that's noticeable when it's this cold is that it is very quiet outside. It's like the world stopped for a while.

It's a great feeling when you can dress for the weather and tackle whatever it has to throw at you. I love to go hiking when it's really, really cold... The kind of cold that keeps most indoors.

It's almost like you've got the world to yourself.... very quiet and peaceful.

Robert
January 30th, 2008, 08:39 AM
With the wind chill yesterday, it was minus 50 Celsius (-58 Fahrenheit). I think this the is the coldest day I've ever experienced in my life. History in the making. :)

marnold
January 30th, 2008, 09:45 AM
We got a front through last night. They called off schools mainly because of the wind chill. Earlier this morning places up here were in -50F territory with about -15 to -20 actual temperature. A wee bit nippy.

sunvalleylaw
January 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM
For Robert, and all you others in overly inclement weather.

gGcgcOEvqE4:AOK:

just strum
January 30th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Going to be in the mid 40's F today and day time temps should be in the 30's the rest of the week - I'm wearing my thong swim suit.

Yesterday they had an article in the paper about a blizzard that took place on Jan 27, 1978. 80+ mile per hour winds, snow, people stranded, people buried - it was like they dropped a nuke. I remember I was getting ready to leave my apartment building and as I hit the bottom of the steps I saw sections of the roof flying across the parking lot and then all the windows on the south side of the building blew out (I lived on the north side).

I'll take what we're getting now.

Well so much for accuracy - It's 13 degree F, trees and wires down in and around Cleveland, power out, schools closed. I thought the roof of our house was going to get torn off. Tomorrow forecast 35 degrees F

t_ross33
January 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hey Robert - we hit -52 C a couple of years ago - WITHOUT WINDCHILL :bravo:

Still, it's freakin' cold today, -30 C. Not much work happening until it "warms" up to, like, -25 :thwap:

Trev

t_ross33
January 30th, 2008, 11:19 AM
It's a great feeling when you can dress for the weather and tackle whatever it has to throw at you. I love to go hiking when it's really, really cold... The kind of cold that keeps most indoors.

It's almost like you've got the world to yourself.... very quiet and peaceful.

and no mosquitos :D

just strum
January 30th, 2008, 11:22 AM
and no mosquitos :D

always a silver lining if you look hard enough.

Justaguyin_nc
January 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
With the wind chill yesterday, it was minus 50 Celsius (-58 Fahrenheit). I think this the is the coldest day I've ever experienced in my life. History in the making. :)

BEWARE THE GLOBAL WARMING!!

Robert
January 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM
You mean GLOBAL COLDING! :D

ted s
January 30th, 2008, 04:58 PM
No snow, getting colder, windy enough to blow over tractor trailers though.

Danzego
January 31st, 2008, 03:15 AM

Oooh, ouch. I did -75F with wind chill once. Had to go to work (at Guitar Center, no less) and had to be there at 7:30 in the morn for a meeting on top of it. Mind you, I had no car. It was a 4 city block walk to the bus, change buses, then another 4-5 city block walk to Guitar Center.

All with the wind blowing straight at me. Awful. :(

Kazz
January 31st, 2008, 05:23 AM
Tuesday we had 60 degree F which is so screwed up for this time of year in the so called Mid West....Southern Indiana is usually not above freezing in January with the worst to come yet in February....however with 60 degrees in the mid of winter you can be sure a storm would follow it up...2 tornados touched down here and one was pretty close to us before it lifted and then touched down again on the other side of us. An 80 year old lady and her 57 year old daughter were killed when the brunt of the tornado flipped their mobile home over on its roof.

Global Warming will indeed wreak havoc.