PDA

View Full Version : 3 way cage match- semi hollow bodies only

notalentbum
January 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Greeetings oh wise ones,

I am still trying to figure out about whether or not I need

OOOPS, I am still trying to figure out WHICH semi HB I must have next.

I am thinking of a Gretsch G5120, a Jay Turser Cleopatra, or maybe an Epiphone Wildkat. I have an Epi Dot Studio and a Delta King and a couple of other similar axes. Any theories on stock p'ups, headstock snobbery, etc?

I am here to hear, y'all

NTB

( It is absolutely true, NONE)

Spudman
January 28th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Check these out. The XV550, 600 and 650 are getting pretty good reviews.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaviereguitars.html

notalentbum
January 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Molto Graze, Spudman.

Great looks and great prices. Do you have anything with the dream 180s or would you get the P-90s?

NTB ( not terribly bright, either)
but still a No Talent Bum

Spudman
January 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I've heard some clips of the P90s and they sound really good. You'll still get the same hum and electronic problems associated with P90's but they do sound very good. Very alive and good frequency response.

I haven't heard any of the Dream 180s yet. However, if you don't like them you can switch them out for the GFS full sized P90 pickups. You can't do that going the other direction. So with the 180s you win no matter what.

Brian Krashpad
January 30th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Of the 3 in the OP, I'd probably go with the WildKat, but for reasons peculiar to me. First it's a small-bodied size (though I think slightly bigger than the LP-sized Xavieres mentioned subsequently), and so it'd fit better with me, as I am not a big guy. I tried a boat-sized Turser (not the Cleopatra, one with 3 P-90's) at a local mom&pop and it was too unwieldy for me.

Second the WildKat has P-90's, and though I have 3 P-90 guitars, I still have lots more HB guitars than P-90 ones.

warren0728
January 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM
don't rule out ibanez hollow/semihollow bodies....i love my artcore with humbuckers....

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_35474b7a775f7b4.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=123)

ww

sunvalleylaw
January 30th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I just tried one (the Ibanez AS73, in a rootbeer type finish) last night at a local shop. Seemed pretty nice!

notalentbum
January 31st, 2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks all. I am enjoying learning about different options. Does anyone have any knowledge of the Eastwood "Classic" or Savannah?

I have a Sanatoga ( Turser second line?) that seems to be a PRS copy. The PUs (Some kind of Humbuckers, maybe aftermarket?) are extremely twangy. I love its sound.

I am reminded of the time my grandfather told me years ago that he had lures in his tackle box he'd never even tried. I think I have at least strummed all of my guitars, but there are a couple that I sense a need to get to know better.

Not
Tonight
Baby

No
Talent
Bum

tjcurtin1
January 31st, 2008, 07:14 PM
Hey, NTB - welcome! I think that a couple of us have Washburn HB-30's who like them - but then I haven't played enough electrics to make comparisons.

And as I see that you're collecting alternate versions of your moniker... It may be my Cathoilc upbringing, but when I first saw it I read, "Not a Lent Bum". Don't know what that might be, but it has a certain ring...

notalentbum
January 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks, TJ,

I just dropped in to see what condition, well, you know the rest...

Actually, as Lent Approaches, maybe GAS is a good thing to give up for 40 days. At the very least, maybe Taking On PRACTICE.

I look forward to hearing more about the Washburns. Is there any resemblance to the Oscar Delta King, or am I talking about the Poor Relation? I have been wondering about the Dean Palomino just a little bit, but what I read indicates I should be just as happy with my Jay Turser SM. It has three P90s and what has been described as a more versatile switching system. It uses two 3 way toggles and might catch some combination that the Dean's 5 way can't.

As for dividing words differently, I keep remembering the SNL skit where Sean Connery is playing jeopardy and misreads the category THERAPISTS for The Rapists.

NTB, no matter how you slice it...

M29
January 31st, 2008, 09:41 PM
Hello notalentbum,

I just picked up a Turser Cleopatra at Christmas time. I believe this is really an Eastwood Savanna guitar with a different style headstock and Turser humbuckings and stop tailpiece. The quality seems to be a bit above the usual Turser gits. Here is a post I put up a while back with some pics. http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5129&highlight=Cleopatra

I really like it. The pickups have somewhat of a bark if you push them but are okay until I can replace them. Depending on what you play they may be okay. Mellow stuff sounds good with them. But if you want to grind they will bark...

The action is very nice and it was setup pretty well when I got it. The finish on mine is very nice, I really enjoy playing it. I always wanted a 335 style semi hollow body but will never be able to afford a Gibson. I will get a Les Paul but I can' afford both.
It comes with a clear pickguard like the Eastwood Savanna but it is not too bad. It has not gotten scratched up yet and it does show the nice finish though it. I do think I will replace it someday with a cream colored guard.

M29

notalentbum
February 1st, 2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks, M29,

I have been eying the Cleopatra since she had a Bigsby. I believe it was a google search that led me to your earlier post and The Fret in the first place. I am a fan of Tursers in general and have been wondering about Eastwoods. Thanks for your comments on the two of them. I do love the looks of the map guitars and all of those knobs and switches on some of the Airlines. Wouldn't you love to have THAT job?

I have bought myself an Asian Gretsch and am looking forward to delivery. As with every guitar I buy, I hope the seller will include a little extra mojo in the box, because I really need all of the help I can get.

I have taken a couple of pickguards all of the way off and just screwed the screws on in. It may not be good for heavy duty play, but I haven't played that much yet. I read somebody's review ( I think it was of a Turser Mosrite copy) that commented on the cheesy looks of a pickguard that looked to have been cut freehand on a bandsaw. You could do worse, if you could get a hold of some 3 ply material. You might also see what your local specialty plastics store has in the way of glazing materials.

Rock on

ntb

tjcurtin1
February 2nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Oh, yes, you noted that you had a Delta King. I was looking at those when I stumbled on the HB-30. THe HB's have a set neck, and higher fret access as a result. They may have the same (or similar) pickups as the Delta King as they are both Washburn products. My avatar shows mine, which is a DL model in an odd color (amber). THe DL is essentially an HB-35 body (tiger maple) and an HB-30 neck (dots instead of trapeziods). As I said, I haven't played enough electrics to be able to make useful comaprisons, but the pickups seem on the hot side to me and will give some nice distortion when pushed.