PDA

View Full Version : Ten Strats to die for . . .

Nelskie
March 24th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Hey Fretters - I came across this link while researching some info on Clapton's various guitar rigs. It's from Fender's UK & Ireland site, which differs here and there from the the US site. Anyways, you can check it out at:

http://www.fender.co.uk/fenderfiles/TenStratocasterGuitarsToDieFor.asp

While I realize the necessity of Clapton's inclusion in that list, it still amazes me that people address his Gibson-era as more of an afterthought. IMHO, it was his stuff with the Yardbirds, Mayall / Bluesbreakers, & Cream that established him as a recognizable guitarist, and certainly, that tone that completely re-directed modern rock in the mid-60's. Yes, Hendrix may have revolutionized the way it was played, but w/o Clapton's influence, and usage of Gibson / Marshall equipment, rock n' roll may have never experienced one of the most important tonal infusions since its birth.

The one point that is the most noteworthy of all is that Mr. Clapton auctioned of two of his most hallowed Stratocasters to benefit others in need. Clapton's Crossroads Centre in Antigua assists people struggling with drug & alcohol dependency, a disease of which Eric himself has been face-to-face with. Thankfully, ol' Slowhand is still with us, and to present day, has remained an active and vital force in the world of music.

duhvoodooman
March 24th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Cool stuff, Nelsk! Wouldn't you love to get your hands on some of those beauties?? The first Strat I owned ('73) looked just like the Hendrix Strat--cream body, white pickguard, maple neck. Wish I'd kept it! As you might guess, SRV's "Number One" would be the Holy Grail of Strats to me. Even if given the impossible chance to play it, I don't think I could bring myself to even touch it. It is quite rightly permanently retired and in his brother Jimmie's safekeeping. As for all the rest of us....we are not worthy!!

As far as the "Strats to Die For" title, one could make the strong argument that, for several of them, somebody did!

Before SRV, EC was my #1 guitar hero for many, many years. He's turned out to be quite the philanthropist and all-around admirable human being. Like so many exceptional artists, he wrestled with his own demons for so many years, but--to his credit--eventually emerged victorious and spiritually strengthened by the process.

And maybe his Gibson years get overlooked because there aren't that many of us around who are old enough to remember!! ;) :D

Nelskie
March 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM
And maybe his Gibson years get overlooked because there aren't that many of us around who are old enough to remember!! ;) :D

You're right, Voodoo. I guess I shouldn't assume that every Clapton fan is like me, or has a desire to know the evolution of his style & music from the very beginning. My wife, for instance, really enjoys the EC's "Unplugged" CD, and listens to it often. When I mention that he's played with the Yardbirds, John Mayall, or Cream - she's like, "yeah whatever." The "Layla" reference, however, did draw her attention - maybe because it ends as a love song . . ? Me, on the other hand, I'd much rather listen to the "Beano" album, or something obscure like Cream's "Disraeli Gears".

Yeah, that Strat list does carry with it some serious weight. I was also very pleased to see Rory Gallagher's name on that list. IMHO, he's one of the great Stratocaster players of all time, and deservedly so. ;)

duhvoodooman
March 24th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Me, on the other hand, I'd much rather listen to the "Beano" album, or something obscure like Cream's "Disraeli Gears".
I have an old HS buddy that was a fellow Cream fan and a few years ago gave me a reissue CD of the "Fresh Cream" album, including a couple of oddball cuts not on the original--Wrapping Paper and The Coffee Song, both of which basically suck. :p

But the rest of it I love, esp. NSU, I'm So Glad, and Sweet Wine. EC's tone on the solo of that last one is just white-hot, and a milestone in rock guitar history, IMO!

duhvoodooman
March 24th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Hey, Nelsk, speaking of obscure...

Remember Anyone for Tennis?, the tune done by Cream as the theme song for a bad biker movie entitled "The Savage Seven" back in '68? They performed it, via this kind of weird video, on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour that summer. I was bummed out, becasue they didn't perform live. It was when EC was at his most hirsute, with the really long hair and the droopy mustache. I remember thinking he looked like such a freakin' guitar god then! See photo attached.

Nelskie
March 24th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Voodoo - Love that photo! SG in hand, in front of a wall of then-new but now-vintage Marshall amps. Awesome!! EC, in my eyes, has always been a guitar god, and perhaps was one of the very first popular players to be considered as such.

"Anyone For Tennis", eh? Obscure indeed. Don't remember the movie whatsoever, mostly because I was about 3-4 years old at the time. Thankfully, many of the musical roads I've traveled, either listening or playing, have led to Clapton, either directly, or indirectly. My recent affixion has evolved from an interest in the SG guitar, and in turn, has become a mini "tone quest*" in and of itself. That being said, I'd easily rank EC's Mayall / Cream-era tone in my personal Top (5). (*NOTE: this should not to be confused with a "vision quest", which involves wrestling, and a very sappy Steve Perry made-for-radio ballad.)

Funny you should mention "Fresh Cream". I scored an original LP copy of that very album this past summer at a garage sale for $2. It's a beautiful copy, too - the album jacket and vinyl are both pristine; original 1967 pressing on the Atco label (catalog # 33-206). Transferred it to CD, and it's been "Rollin' & Tumblin'" with great frequency ever since then. My fave tune on that LP - "Sleepy Time Time". Yowsa!

I think it's time that I started a Clapton thread under the Gibson part of the forum. ;)

Tim
March 24th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Guys – I really enjoy EC myself. I think he is an excellent guitar player even though others say he copies others music. As far as I am concern, he put it in another category.

My wife doesn’t understand the “Layla” song either. I tried to explain it to her, but she does not believe it happened that way. Also so goes it with “My Guitar Gently Weeps” I was listening to the EC Blues (double album) today at work. Even his earlier songs had that great EC sound and tone.

Nelskie
March 24th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Tim - Clapton is all about tone. It's what separates his music from the rest of the pack. When you combine that tonal element with amazing songs, killer fretwork, fabulous arrangements, and a capable supporting cast, the musical elixir that results is undeniably asphyxiating.

As far as him copying others music, perhaps what they're implying is that some of Eric's style is derived from traditional blues music. But being influenced by a certain type of music is far different from copying it. And dare I say there aren't a whole lot of bands that could pack a wallop equivalent to the haymakers thrown by EC & Co. when he played in the Bluesbreakers, or Cream. If I were to say anything, I'd have to say that a great majority of players and bands are copying Clapton, and not the other way around.

Playing-wise, his work speaks for itself. Few guitar players are even in the same league as Clapton, much less even on the same planet on which he resides. Is he that good? Oh yes - most definitely!

I have that Clapton Blues album too, and I like it a lot. Keep listening to it, too, cuz' there's a ton you can learn from hearing what a guitar legend sounds like. ;)

warren0728
March 24th, 2006, 05:57 PM
huge clapton fan here too....seen him live many times and every show has been above terrific....i really loved his "from the cradle" tour..he paid homage to all the great old time blues masters. In fact before he would do a song he explained who originally did it and even had photographs of them projected behind him. It was like clapton was giving us all a blues history lesson.

He has been through a lot in his life and has managed to keep it together and continue to produce incredible music.

I hope he brings his european tour (with derek trucks) to the states!

ww

Tim
March 24th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Oh I agree, the man can play. He can play any venue, which makes him a master. I put him on the same level as Chet Atkins. Chet is another guitar player I can listen to all day long. God rest his soul.

So far I got eight albums and two DVD of EC.

DVDs:
1. Crossroads
2. One More Car/One More Rider

CDs:
1. Unplugged
2. Reptile
3. One More Car/One More Rider
4. Me & Mr. Johnson
5. Eric Clapton Blues
6. Back Home
7. Riding With The King
8. The Cream Of Clapton

I’m open to more suggested listening and/or viewing learning material.

Nelskie
March 24th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Tim - You're collection is a bit light in early Clapton material. Might I suggest that you pick up John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers featuring Eric Clapton, and Fresh Cream or Disraeli Gears. As far as a 70's era Clapton album, I really like 461 Ocean Boulevard and Slowhand. These releases should span your Clapton collection nicely from front to back. ;)

Tim
March 24th, 2006, 09:02 PM
So noted. I will keep my eye open for them. I may need to travel out of this small town to find them. The closest Best Buy or Borders is 50 miles away. I thank you sir.

Update:

I love his take on "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". Especially the longer version on the DVD.

ZoSo65
March 24th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Yardbirds,,hmm, brings Jimmy to my mind ;)

Nelskie
March 24th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Yardbirds, eh? Then surely we can't forget tonemeister extraordinaire, Mr. Jeff Beck . . . ;)

Nelskie
March 24th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I may need to travel out of this small town to find them. The closest Best Buy or Borders is 50 miles away

Tim - Travel? Why travel when you can buy excellent condition used CD's on Amazon.com for about 1/2 the price of new. And usually shipped to your doorstep in about a week!! Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00005K9QP/ref=dp_olp_2/102-6867456-8514525?%5Fencoding=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000067L2/ref=dp_olp_2/102-6867456-8514525?%5Fencoding=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000002G8H/qid=1143261848/sr=1-6/ref=sr_pb_a//102-6867456-8514525?condition=all
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000002G89/qid=1143261890/sr=1-17/ref=sr_pb_a//102-6867456-8514525?condition=all

A substantial part of my own collection is used CD's, most of which were purchased through Amazon.com. It's like getting (2), sometimes (3) CD's for the price of one! Shipping per / CD is usually around $2.50.

So stay at home and practice, and let the CD's come to you. ;)

SuperSwede
March 25th, 2006, 04:43 AM
I really like the "Rainbow Concert" album by Clapton & friends.. features Eric Clapton (on Les Paul :) )Pete Townsend, Ron Wood, Steve Windwood, Rich Grech, Jim Capaldi, Jimmy Carstein & Rebop. It was recorded in London 1973.

warren0728
March 25th, 2006, 07:03 AM
I really like the "Rainbow Concert" album by Clapton & friends.. features Eric Clapton (on Les Paul :) )Pete Townsend, Ron Wood, Steve Windwood, Rich Grech, Jim Capaldi, Jimmy Carstein & Rebop. It was recorded in London 1973.
that is a great album! One of many i have in my ec collection.

ww

Nelskie
March 25th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Since we're talking live Clapton here, might I suggest that you gentlemen check out "Derek & The Dominos - Live at the Fillmore". The show was recorded at the Fillmore East, NYC, back in October of 1970 - and Mr. Clapton was not too far removed from his amazing work in Cream, and Blind Faith. There's a number extended versions of some great songs, and most notably, some jaw-dropping guitar work. Songs include Presence of the Lord, Little Wing, Blues Power, Key To The Highway, Tell The Truth, and Crossroads.

If there was ever an EC album that made me realize that he was simply one of the greatest to ever strap on a six string, it was this one. ;) And it's live, too, so you can really get the full effect of his amazing tone. The CD also comes with a nice cover folder, and a great full-color booklet. Well worth the price of admission! Check it out at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000001E3V/qid=1143300291/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-6867456-8514525?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

SuperSwede
March 25th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks Nelskie. I already got it somewhere. Great album!