PDA

View Full Version : Kustom 12 gauge combo amp

kiteman
January 29th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Well, that's an interesting amp and only $100!

A nice big box housing a 12" speaker and 16 watt solid state amp. Switchable clean and lead channels, 3 band EQ, switchable reverb and delay with a level control knob. It also have 4 jacks in the back for ext speaker, lineout, headphone, and cd/tape input. Quite a bit of features at this price point.

The clean channel is what makes the amp. It is brilliant and the onboard fxes which is either delay or reverb has a good presense with it. Works with pedals very nicely though.

The lead channel is pretty good with a fair amount of gain but may not be enough for some. turning the gain knob past 3 oclock caused feedback but I may be too close to the amp since I play in my bedroom. I also have have D-activator pups in my custom BD model which is pretty high powered so it may be the pups causing the feedback.

The amp's pretty loud but will it handle the drums? I don't know. I like this amp though, the lead channel sound peaveyish and the clean channel sound like a fender.

For $100 I think it's an interesting amp to add to your collection. :)

Lev
January 29th, 2008, 06:46 AM
the choice of amps in this price range is now mind boggling:confused:
We really are very fortunate to have so much affordable quality gear at our disposal. It certainly wasn't like this 20 years ago when I started playing.

M29
January 29th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks kiteman for the in-depth review:AOK: That sure does sound like a good deal.

M29

Brian Krashpad
January 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the info.

I'm pretty sure that 16 solid state watts could not hang with any of the drummers I've played with in the last decade or so. Of course, I tend to gravitate to heavy hitters, so ymmv.

:AOK:

kiteman
January 29th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Yea, there's lots of 12-15 watters with 8" speakers, many of 'em. The 12" speaker and the box are what grabbed me. A future project. :)

I was thinking of a tube amp chassis for the project. All I have to do is wait for the amp to die but that may not happen.

kiteman
March 31st, 2008, 06:19 PM
Well, it became a project. :)

I got the vj chassis mounted in the kustom box with the 12" speaker. Darn thing sounded good, much better than before.

Then I sold it. :)

Brian Krashpad
April 2nd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Well, it became a project. :)

I got the vj chassis mounted in the kustom box with the 12" speaker. Darn thing sounded good, much better than before.

Then I sold it. :)

Did you ever take any before/after type pics?

Those would be interesting to see.

kiteman
April 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
ok.

Brian Krashpad
April 4th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Interesting. I take it the VJ faceplate wouldn't fit in wherever the Kustom's had been?

kiteman
April 4th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Interesting. I take it the VJ faceplate wouldn't fit in wherever the Kustom's had been?

Oh yea, I could've done it but I didn't have the materials onhand. :)