PDA

View Full Version : Lube Job.....

LowEndWonder
January 29th, 2008, 09:30 AM
What do you use to oil your fretboard?

oldguy
January 29th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Depends on the fretboard......................................... ............................
Maple............nothing.......................... .nitro finish.....on Tele maple board.
Rosewood.......Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment....... lightly...........................
Switch fretboard.......nothing........it's "ebonite".......man made composite....

Tone2TheBone
January 29th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Good question. I've been needing to do my rosewood necks on the Fenders. The ebony on the Gibson might need something too.

Bucks Owin
January 29th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I use Valvoline 20W/50 but that's just me. MOST guitar techs will tell you to use lemon oil.....

;-)

Dennis

LowEndWonder
January 29th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Try Hoppe's No. # 9 oil. It's sold in Kmart, Walmart, and any gunshop.
It's for gun mechanisims but the back of the bottle states it can be used on gun and rifle stocks which are made of wood. Iv'e been using Hoppe's for 8 yrs and it does the job. Not only does it oil, it cleans as well. It's a clear oil that penetrates fast and don't gum or turn rancid. Just make sure you get the oil in the plastic orange bottle and not the powder solvent in the glass jar!

ponticat
January 29th, 2008, 09:34 PM
On rosewood: mineral oil from any drug store.

Algonquin
January 29th, 2008, 09:40 PM
A little Murphy's Oil Soap diluted to clean (I use an old tooth brush), and a little Hawes Lemon Oil. I'm a Rosewood fretboard Guy... so not sure how the Maple Folks do it.

:beer:

wingsdad
January 29th, 2008, 11:22 PM
First of all, I always wipe down the strings/fretboard with a dry old cotton t-shirt or flannel cloth after playing. Keeps thing clean, helps with string life. My maple boards are lacquered, so that's actually all they need.

About every 6 months, or when they start to look thirsty, I use Kyser's Dr. Stringfellow Lem-Oil to clean & treat Rosewood & Ebony boards and acoustic guitar bridges. I used to use furniture type lemon oil, but found it too heavy, especially for ebony.

sunvalleylaw
January 29th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I use Valvoline 20W/50 but that's just me. MOST guitar techs will tell you to use lemon oil.....

;-)

Dennis

I put the 20W/50 in my Alfa motor. ;) I use lemon oil on my rosewood fretboards, and nothing on my maple.

Tone2TheBone
January 29th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Try Hoppe's No. # 9 oil. It's sold in Kmart, Walmart, and any gunshop.
It's for gun mechanisims but the back of the bottle states it can be used on gun and rifle stocks which are made of wood. Iv'e been using Hoppe's for 8 yrs and it does the job. Not only does it oil, it cleans as well. It's a clear oil that penetrates fast and don't gum or turn rancid. Just make sure you get the oil in the plastic orange bottle and not the powder solvent in the glass jar!

Nothing like the scent of Hoppe's No. 9. :dude:

Spudman
January 30th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Rosewood.......Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment....... lightly...........................

Same here about once a year...if it needs it.

pie_man_25
January 30th, 2008, 08:34 AM
for my fende jazz, I only use linseed oil on the rosewood neck, it helps with the natural rich brown/golden coulours of the indian rosewood (at least I think it's Indian), but I've only needed to do that once, and for everything else, we haven't had to either.

oldguy
January 30th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Same here about once a year...if it needs it.

I hear 'ya....... I usually eat enough french fries and cheeseburgers between sets I don't need to oil mine more than that.

;)

Spudman
January 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Another trick that I use is to run my left hand through my hair from time to time. I lube the strings and the oil goes into the fretboard too. That's why I don't have to use lemon oil too often.

Bloozcat
January 30th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I've been using this stuff for years:
http://images.shipstore.com/ss/images/ama/amagto150.jpg
Same stuff that I use on gunstocks (I used to sell it for that purpose too). It is intended for use on teak on boats. It's a medium viscosity oil that works very well. It doesn't build up, either.

I've seen it at Ace Hardware, and here's a place that sells it online:
http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Wood_Teak_Cleaners-AMAZON_GOLDEN_TEAK_OIL.html

Plank_Spanker
January 30th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Woodwind Bore Oil.

Good enough to protect the bores of spit infested $$$$$ woodwinds, good enough to protect my sweat infested fretboard. :D