PDA

View Full Version : Harmonizing guitar solos

pes_laul
January 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM
By that I mean solos like in detroit rock city where ace and paul are both playing the solo just in different keys. to my knowledge you have to play the same solo note for note just in a different key but my question is wat key do you have to play the solo in. example: I play a solo in key for someone else to harmonize what key would they have to play it in

Kris

hubberjub
January 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
They aren't playing in different keys, they are playing different notes in the same scale. Any two or more notes played at the same time are considered harmony. There is harmony going on anytime you play a chord. I would't worry so much about what key you're playing in but more about the sound of an interval. Use the key of C. It has no sharps and no flats (c,d,e,f,g,a,b). Play the note C (third fret on the A string). Now play the note C while playing open D. You just played a major second. Just keep moving up the scale until you get to the next C. This will allow you to get to know the sound of the intervals in a major scale.

Robert
January 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Ahh, my son, thou must learn the mighty concept of harmonizing, or face the eternal darkness of playing out of key, a fate which has doomed many apprentices.... :D

Check out how this lesson of how to harmonize a scale by my friend Mark:
3qtm_cUFmn8

oldguy
January 29th, 2008, 05:50 PM
That was a good lesson by your friend, Robert. It explained some things I "know", meaning have learned playing and being self taught, but didn't "understand", from a technical standpoint. Thank you (and Mark)!:AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
January 29th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Good stuff, where can we get more of your friend?

just strum
January 29th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I can't always tell where he's putting his fingers. Am I going blind?

tot_Ou_tard
January 29th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I can't always tell where he's putting his fingers. Am I going blind? Depends...what have you been *doing* :D?

just strum
January 29th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Depends...what have you been *doing* :D?

Mom was right!

Robert
January 29th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Mark's site is www.premierguitarlessons.com

sunvalleylaw
January 29th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Hey that is pretty cool. I received that "Chords & Harmony, Theory for Real World Musicians" (http://www.elderly.com/books/items/49-331173.htm) book for Christmas and have been reading over the chapters covering this material. Reading in bed though does not get it done on the fretboard. Nice to see an example!

t_ross33
January 29th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Reading in bed though does not get it done on the fretboard.
Is that a metaphor SVL? How's YOUR eyesight :rotflmao:

EDIT: In an effort to salvage this thread, check out some old Alman Bros. Duane A. and Dicky Betts used the harmonizing technique a lot. Dicky said he picked up the technique from his uncles who were Acadian fiddle players and it was commonly used in the jams, jigs, and reels of his youth.

sunvalleylaw
January 29th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Funny, I've started to use reading glasses. Darn those nuns!

tot_Ou_tard
January 30th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Is that a metaphor SVL? How's YOUR eyesight :rotflmao:

:rotflmao:

Thanks Robert, Mark's site is pretty cool.

This looks like a good book for those just starting out.

http://www.lulu.com/content/1252390

aeolian
January 30th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Guitar harmonizing is exactly the same as vocal harmonizing; the music theory is the same.

Here is a prime example of guitar harmonizing:

wX7H2LFSA5M

mark wein
January 30th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the kind words...Robert just hipped me to this forum so I'll probably start posting my lessons here, too...

Mark

sunvalleylaw
January 30th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Hey cool! Welcome Mark! I just stayed up too late last night watching the first 3 pentatonic ones and the intro to CAGED.

mark wein
January 30th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hey cool! Welcome Mark! I just stayed up too late last night watching the first 3 pentatonic ones and the intro to CAGED.

Thanks!

I just posted a few things here in the forum....on the other forums I participate in I usually post a weekly lesson and on the newer ones that I've just discovered I've been posting "catch up" collections...let me know how you like the lessons!

Mark