PDA

View Full Version : Israel wants a Beatles concert

oldguy
January 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM
They're having a birthday party and want the Beatles to play. Not like in 1965 when it would have corrupted people. Ah, yes, the good old days....:tongue:

More than 40 years after it barred the iconic British band from playing there, Israel said it wants the surviving members of the Beatles to participate in a concert celebrating the country's 60th birthday.

But the Israeli embassy in London denied a report that the Jewish state had apologized for its original refusal to let the Beatles perform in the country. The band had been booked to appear in 1965, but the government refused to grant the necessary permits on the ground that its music might corrupt the country's morals.

"Israel missed a chance to learn from the most influential musicians of the decade, and the Beatles missed an opportunity to reach out to one of the most passionate audiences in the world," Israeli ambassador Ron Prosor said in a letter addressed to Sir Paul McCartney. "On our 60th anniversary, we would like to take the opportunity to offer you a second chance to play in Israel."

The embassy said a letter was presented by Prosor to Jerry Goldman, CEO of the Beatles Story in the north England city of Liverpool. It was also sent to Sir Paul McCartney and Richard Starkey, better known as Ringo Starr.

Jimi75
January 30th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Hey, can two surviving members really play a beatles concert without our buddies John and George?

I do not believe that they are going to participate in the planned concert.

A few years ago the band OASIS did a Beatels tribute and they did a good job. If this concert in Israel should happen (:thwap: ) then maybe the OASIS guys could help out on the vacant positions.

oldguy
January 30th, 2008, 09:37 AM
What I noticed in the report was the fact that they've never apologized for refusing them in '65, but are inviting them now...... I would have to decline the invite if it were me.

R_of_G
January 30th, 2008, 10:13 AM
What I noticed in the report was the fact that they've never apologized for refusing them in '65, but are inviting them now...... I would have to decline the invite if it were me.

thing is, the two most likely to decline the invite are the ones who have passed. if they're paying, paul will be there. ringo will do whatever paul tells him to do.

it all reminds me of what a friend said when george passed which was "ringo is now paul's death away from being able to tour as 'the beatles'"

IF they play at all together, they will be Paul and Ringo. To me, The Beatles necessarily includes all four of them. They may still put on an enjoyable show [god knows they have the catalog to do it] but it ain't the Beatles without John and surely not without GH's guitar tone.

Tone2TheBone
January 30th, 2008, 11:36 AM

Me too I'd want the apology as well.

Bloozcat
January 30th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I really can't imagine that this will happen. After all, The Beatles haven't performed as The Beatles since they broke up, and now they aren't The Beatles anymore because John and George are no longer with us. Ringo might be willing to tarnish the memory of what was once The Beatles by doing this concert, but I'll bet Paul isn't.

Sorry, you missed your chance Israel. The time has passed you by, and it won't come again.

player
January 30th, 2008, 11:06 PM
They Blew it plain and simple back in the 60's IMHO they should not do it but money talks and do they really need it?some if not most that did Beatlemania did them justice too.caught one of those performances in Chicago when I lived there years ago.sure wish I was back in WPB,Fl though.

Spudman
January 30th, 2008, 11:46 PM
This is really just a PR ploy for the politicians from Israel.

SuperSwede
January 31st, 2008, 10:10 AM

+1

I will not add anything further since we dont talk politics on this forum.

sunvalleylaw
January 31st, 2008, 10:19 AM
My view too. I see no benefit in it for Paul, Ringo or the families of John and George. I have lots of more thoughts, but not appropriate here. And certainly not indicating that I take sides by my comment.

R_of_G
January 31st, 2008, 12:02 PM

Which is why I'd have loved to hear John and/or George's reactions to the request.