PDA

View Full Version : The Clapton Thread

Nelskie
March 24th, 2006, 04:16 PM
After a bit of enjoyable Clapton-related discussion with the Voodooman this afternoon, I thought it was about time our guitar forum had a thread somewhere that paid tribute to a man who not only is a legendary player in his own right, but whose body of work is basically a resume' of some of rock music's most assertive & esteemed accomplishments. As a matter of fact, it is my firm belief that it's only a matter of time before Webster's puts a short footnote under the definition of guitar: *see also - Eric Clapton.

Oh yes, there are many colossal figures in the world of guitar, some of whom are every bit as deserving when considering their accomplishments. However, one would be hard-pressed to find a guitarist with as diverse a style, or one who has been part of as much of rock history as Clapton has.

My recent foray into the world of Clapton has uncovered many jewels. Being an avid fan of the blues, it is hard to overlook some of EC's landmark work in the early to mid 60's. As the lead guitarist for the Yardbirds, Eric set the UK on its ear with his scorching blues style. Shortly thereafter, he parlayed his phenomenal style into England's premier blues group, The Bluesbreakers, who were fronted by the multi-talented John Mayall. Although Eric's stint with the band was brief, the material that evolved from that union shook the very foundations of the rock music. The songs. The tone. The feel. All unmistakably driven by the genius of Clapton's guitar mastery. But there were more lands to be conquered.

After his departure from The Bluesbreakers, Clapton, along with drummer Ginger Baker, and bassist Jack Bruce, formed Cream, and once again set the rock world on fire with their unique blues-meets-psychedelia style. Clapton's Cream-era tone would eventually evolve into the modern rock style, its roots noticeably evident in the music of bands such as Led Zeppelin, Free, and the Allman Brothers to name a few.

Although the aforementioned is but a blip in a monumentally successful career, I didn't want to have this thread start out, or continue as a Clapton biography. If you're interested in that, Wikipedia has the perscribed vital stats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Clapton#Blind_Faith_.26_Delaney_and_Bonnie_an d_Friends

Although the waters of the Nelskie guitar style run very deeply along the ZZ Top & Led Zeppelin tributaries, I cannot deny that my recent "re-discovery" of Eric Clapton has led me to some very fertile lands as far as playing goes. And perhaps that's what I have found to be so interesting during this particular "go-round". What I mean is that each of us, as guitarists, may be only too familiar with the music from some of our favorite artists and players. Often times, if we dig deeper, we can find new treasures - maybe even ones that we didn't even think existed. For me, this is one of the most satisfying parts of playing guitar - when the old becomes the new. And by that same process, we are once again as players re-connected to where we came from.

But where it really gets interesting is when you take that re-discovery one step further, i.e. roll it into something entirely new, and wholly different. Yeah, it's cool to have a sound just like Clapton, or SRV, or whomever. But how cool would it be to have your own tone, and have it be "Clapton-esque", or "Cream-ish", or something along those same lines - you know - tap into the mojo, but put your own stamp on it?

Such are the things I am wrestling with today. And what a glorious predicament it is turning out to be!!

marnold
March 24th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I love the afro :)

For those who are interested in whetting their appetite for Cream, check out "Strange Brew: The Very Best of Cream." It has the classics like "White Room" and "Sunshine of Your Love" as well as things like "Anyone for Tennis?" and the more psychadelic "Tales of Brave Ulysees." The first real bass line that I learned back in the day was the one to "Badge." Very cool stuff.

I just read something recently where Clapton said that he hates most of his old stuff, particularly "Crossroads."

warren0728
March 24th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I love the afro :)
hey that hair doo reminds me of the robert "the shredder" renman look! :D

ww

Tim
March 24th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Two "Master Shreaders" on the same forum! What more could we ask for?

duhvoodooman
March 25th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Not that it has much do with his music (or maybe it does....), but I was always amazed by what a chameleon old EC was, always changing his physical appearance, often in quite radical ways, mostly though the adjustment of hair placement, length and style. Do a Google Images search on "Eric Clapton" and look at what comes up! Geez, you can't even tell it's the same guy in many of the photos. And I'm talking about when he was a young man, and age wasn't a factor in his appearance. I've got to believe that's another manifestation of an innate tendency toward risk-taking, which is also reflected in the broad range of musical styles he has explored over the years. Or not.... :D

BTW, I think that the Beano album is an absolutely essential part of any semi-serious EC collection. To my mind, that's when Clapton became Clapton. I have it in vinyl, purchased around '67, but I'm going to have to pick up one of the reissue CD's....

Nelskie
March 25th, 2006, 09:19 AM
The Beano album rules. Period.

duhvoodooman
March 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM
This may be common knowledge, but just in case anyone reading this has no idea what the heck "the Beano album" is, we're referring to EC's one and only album with John Mayall's Blues Breakers. It's commonly referred to as the Beano album because of the comic book that EC is pictured reading on the cover. To wit:

And it's great. Clapton left to form Cream a few months later.

Nelskie
March 25th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Not that it has much do with his music (or maybe it does....), but I was always amazed by what a chameleon old EC was, always changing his physical appearance, often in quite radical ways, mostly though the adjustment of hair placement, length and style. ....

Indeed, Clapton had many "looks". His best one was always holding a guitar.

I've got to believe that's another manifestation of an innate tendency toward risk-taking, which is also reflected in the broad range of musical styles he has explored over the years. Or not.... :D ....

Very astute observation, Voodoo, and I would wholeheartedly concur with it.

BTW, I think that the Beano album is an absolutely essential part of any semi-serious EC collection. To my mind, that's when Clapton became Clapton. I have it in vinyl, purchased around '67, but I'm going to have to pick up one of the reissue CD's....

The Beano album will provide more than ample inspiration for you and that new Delta Blues amp of yours. Why not have the friendly folks at Amazon.com deliver a fine used copy to your doorstep, and spend that valuable time coaxing smooth tones out of your new rig? ;) Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00005K9QP/ref=dp_olp_2/102-6867456-8514525?%5Fencoding=UTF8

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I just heard the entire Beano album for the first time--good stuff. I did already have some Mayall compilations that had a number of cuts off of that album, but I hadn't played those in a few years.

Thanks for the thread.

warren0728
March 26th, 2006, 06:06 PM
The Beano album rules. Period.
absolutely....i love claptons sound....took it out today and played it again because of all the discussion of it....it's back in my rotation again!

I also dug out Fleetwood Mac Live In London '68....man Peter Green can play too. Another cd i would recommend (maybe we should start a crazy old peter green thread!)

ww

duhvoodooman
March 26th, 2006, 06:07 PM
The Beano album will provide more than ample inspiration for you and that new Delta Blues amp of yours. Why not have the friendly folks at Amazon.com deliver a fine used copy to your doorstep, and spend that valuable time coaxing smooth tones out of your new rig? ;)
Capital idea, Nelsk! Placed the order 2 minutes ago! :R

Tone2TheBone
March 26th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Two words bro - The Beano Album.

...ok three words.

ps - thanks!

duhvoodooman
March 26th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Had to throw this up, too--photo of my original Beano album, purchased '67, I'm pretty sure. Early '68 at the latest. Geez, this thing is almost 40 years old! Kinda worn on the cover, due to sliding it in an out of the record cabinet (remember those??) so many times. Clapton looks like a kid. Clapton was a kid. And already had tone I'll never achieve in my lifetime!! And look at the baby-face on John McVie next to him!

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/bb_vinyl.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Love the photo VoooDoo. Has anyone read Beano? I've never heard of it, actually.

BTW about 20 years ago I went on a hunt to get those boots that EC is wearing (Beatle Boots) but they didn't make them anymore. I still think that they look soft and comfortable.

What geetar is EC playing on this album. I seem to recall a thread that discussed this. Nelskie, was that you?

duhvoodooman
March 26th, 2006, 09:33 PM
What geetar is EC playing on this album. I seem to recall a thread that discussed this. Nelskie, was that you?
A gorgeous old Les Paul Standard that was later stolen. Thought to be a '60 model.

Clapton's Blues Breakers LP (http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream/LesPaul.htm)

BTW, The Beano was a popular kid's comic book in the UK at the time. EC was doubtless holding it as a goof.

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2006, 09:39 PM
A gorgeous old Les Paul Standard that was later stolen. Thought to be a '60 model.

Clapton's Blues Breakers LP (http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream/LesPaul.htm)

BTW, The Beano was a popular kid's comic book in the UK at the time. EC was doubtless holding it as a goof.

Ah, yes I remember now.

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2006, 09:40 PM

Beano was a kid's comic book? I assumed it was an underground comic. Nelskie weren't you waxing poetic about the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros? Do you know anything about Beano?

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Beano was a kid's comic book? I assumed it was an underground comic. Nelskie weren't you waxing poetic about the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros? Do you know anything about Beano?

Here's a good link...

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/ComicInformationPages/BeanoPages/BeanoHomePage.asp

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Here's a good link...

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/ComicInformationPages/BeanoPages/BeanoHomePage.asp

From that page...

During WW2 the Beano did its bit to boost morale amongst its readers. Lord Snooty and Pansy Potter were often seen giving the enemy a kick up the backside. While there were also special war time stories created by artist Sam Fair, Winken & Blinken and Musso The Wop, which made sure that the enemy were made to look foolish.

...Lord Snooty & Pansy Potter?!?....hooo boy!

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2006, 09:46 PM
OK. let's go full-on nerdy. Anybody *which* issue of Beano that is?

I wanna know if Lord Snotty is in it!

'tard

Nelskie
March 27th, 2006, 06:53 AM
tot - Indeed, it was me that had mentioned those Furry Freak Bros. in one of my past posts. While I do know some about comics, most particularly the stuff from Rip Off Press (distributors of fine head shop reading material), my knowledge does not extend into any British titles. I equate Beano to one thing, and one thing only: Clapton.

Also - here's the thread I posted with the Clapton guitar links:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=456

Not sure if you were aware of this, but there is a search feature on the toolbar at the top of each page. Works pretty well, too.

tot_Ou_tard
March 27th, 2006, 08:00 AM
tot - Indeed, it was me that had mentioned those Furry Freak Bros. in one of my past posts. While I do know some about comics, most particularly the stuff from Rip Off Press (distributors of fine head shop reading material), my knowledge does not extend into any British titles. I equate Beano to one thing, and one thing only: Clapton.

Also - here's the thread I posted with the Clapton guitar links:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=456

Not sure if you were aware of this, but there is a search feature on the toolbar at the top of each page. Works pretty well, too.

Yeah, I know about the search thing :o I'll use it next time.

tot_Ou_tard
March 27th, 2006, 08:21 AM
I'm certain that somewhere on the net someone has gone all trekkie on this and has blown up the upper right-hand corner (to our left) of that Beano comic and counted the number of pages that EC has left to read and by measuring the angle of his eyes has determined *exactly* which panel EC is looking at. From his bemused look, I'd say that Pansy Parker has just entered Lord Snooty in the Upper Class Twit of the Year contest.

Slowhand
March 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Pick up the "other" Mayall album A Hard Road Thats the one with Peter Green playing on it And listen to The Stumble. The playing is just as good as Eric's but a little more sparse (but just right) and this is from a big Clapton fan!

Tone2TheBone
March 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I just read at the Fender Forum that today is Eric Claptons birfday. Happy Birfday Eric. (today is also my youngest's birfday...I'll remember Eric's from now on)

duhvoodooman
March 30th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I just read at the Fender Forum that today is Eric Claptons birfday. Happy Birfday Eric.
Yup, ol' EC is 61 today. Hope he has many more, and keeps rockin' for all of 'em!!

SuperSwede
March 31st, 2006, 07:03 AM
(today is also my youngest's birfday...I'll remember Eric's from now on)

I hope that she had a great birthday, and perhaps a 6-string present from dad? :)

Tone2TheBone
March 31st, 2006, 09:03 AM
SS - She had a killer birfday yesterday! Spent the whole day playing with her new Nintendo DS and playing with her cousin outside on her newly remodeled playhouse that I've been working hard on for the past couple of weeks. :) About a couple of months ago she asked for a guitar and I started looking at pawnshops and actually found one that was decent enough for her AND me. Short scale little black acoustic...don't even remember what brand it was but it sounded good and played in tune. I didn't pick it up though cause I heard it was better for littler kids to learn on ukeleles first?

Nelskie
March 31st, 2006, 10:38 AM
I didn't pick it up though cause I heard it was better for littler kids to learn on ukeleles first?

Who said that? Don Ho? The National Ukelele Retailers Association? My thinking is that one of those short-scale electrics in the MF catalog would work out just perfectly? Do the right thing, Tone - start her on a real electric! Leave the ukeleles at the luau. ;)

duhvoodooman
March 31st, 2006, 10:50 AM
I didn't pick it up though cause I heard it was better for littler kids to learn on ukeleles first?
I'll bet the real reason is because you're afraid that, in a couple of years, she'll have more screaming solos than you!! ;) :D

SuperSwede
April 1st, 2006, 01:42 AM
Who said that? Don Ho? The National Ukelele Retailers Association? My thinking is that one of those short-scale electrics in the MF catalog would work out just perfectly? Do the right thing, Tone - start her on a real electric! Leave the ukeleles at the luau. ;)

Very true Nelskie... I think a Fender Mustang would be perfect. They have short scale, and daddy can have fun with it too :)

Tone, so you got her a DS? They seem like a lot of fun, I wouldn´t mind having one myself (or a PSP).. :D

Tone2TheBone
April 1st, 2006, 11:54 PM
Seriously! I have read that in the hands of a small child a ukelele is well suited to their physique and I'm not playing an April fools joke here! LMAO

Seriously. *ahem*

SuperSwede
April 2nd, 2006, 01:54 AM
tone tone tone.... you now have a perfect chance of buying a new guitar and even have the "wife seal of approval" stamp because it is for the "kids"...

r_a_smith3530
April 2nd, 2006, 08:54 PM
You need a bass player! Ah, there it is, over behind that American Jazz, it's red, the shape's just a bit different, you make out the name on the headstock, B-R-O-N-C-O! Thirty inches of Fender (well, Squier) low end power.

Let's see, an Ampeg B100R (gotta start the kid on a decent amph!), a Russian Big Muff Pi (they work better for bass than the USA models), and a Boss GT6B just for giggles.

Yes, it's all becoming clear now..... ;)

Spudman
April 2nd, 2006, 11:39 PM
All your heros in one place. Like a mini mart of classic rock stars.

Eric Clapton playing Layla with: Charlie Watts & Bill Wyman (Stones), Steve Winwood, Andy Fairweather Lowe, Jimi Page (Zepplin), Jeff Beck, Kenny Jones (Who), Ray Cooper (Elton John).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XK8S78T9LdM&search=jeff%20beck

Nelskie
April 3rd, 2006, 10:28 AM
Jimi Page (Zepplin)

Spud - I'm glad you mentioned that Jimmy Page was in Zeppelin, otherwise I wouldn't have had the foggiest idea of who he played with. :rolleyes:

SuperSwede
April 3rd, 2006, 01:30 PM
Zeppelin? I thought he was that singer in Slash´s band.. You know he who used to beat up supermodels...

Nelskie
April 3rd, 2006, 01:34 PM
Is it just me, or is everybody being a comedian today?

Tone2TheBone
April 3rd, 2006, 01:43 PM
These 2 babes were walking down the street....and.....

;)

duhvoodooman
April 3rd, 2006, 01:47 PM
OK, so these three midgets and a drummer walk into a bar....

SuperSwede
April 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM
Oh, I want to hear about the Midgets please ;)

warren0728
April 3rd, 2006, 02:12 PM
today?
as for the midget joke....i'm kinda busy but i'll listen to it if it's a short one :D

ww

Mark
July 5th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I just now stumbled on to this thread...yea been comin here a couple of months now....cant believe I missed it. EC is probably my favourite of all. Been to see him 8 times, first was with Cream again with Blind Faith and on numerous solo tours. Wait theres a nineth time Ronnie Lanes concert for ARM him Beck and Page all together great show. We took my son to his first concert you got it EC! That put his musical taste on the proper track (away from RAP ) he was blown away! Whats cool is the One more Car One more rider live album was filmed the night we were there so its a great momento around here. One other thing he has been very instrumental in is getting the blues out there for more to enjoy all the while respecting and aknowledgeing who and where they came from. The guy is just a class act, theres a good book about him called Crossroads by Micheal Schumacher real good read about ECs life. Since this thread veered to humor heres one for ya.

How many Guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

Four...one to change the bulb
and three to debate on how Clapton would have done it.

warren0728
July 6th, 2006, 06:01 AM
got my tickets to see clapton with derek trucks and doyle bramhill II on October 20th in orlando! That's conners birthday! I heard Robert Cray might open for him.

ww

Robert
July 6th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Wow Warren, Derek and Doyle are some incredible guitar players too! Sounds like you're in for a treat.