PDA

View Full Version : Modeler Or Amp

piebaldpython
January 30th, 2008, 02:41 PM
SORRY in advance for a potentially REALLY DUMB question. aha Suppose one is cramped for playing space, family and getting an amp is a pain-in-the-butt for a variety of reasons. So, a little amp may not give one what they need or want tone wise, FX wise, quality wise. Would this be an ideal time to go solely with an MODELER and just plug into that (headphones too) instead of the grief with an amp? If so, what would be a good quality modeler to start with. Say, a system that had amp/cabinet modeling, decent FX, etc?? THANKS!!

aeolian
January 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I used a Johnson J-Station for several years without ever turning on a real amp. I even did all my recordings through it, and to most people you would be hard pressed to tell that it is a modeler. My criteria for a modeler is that it sounds reasonably good, and has effects built-in. One important thing to me is that I must be able to use the effects in a variety of combinations, and that the effects are highly programmable. My Vox AD30vt is not that flexible when it comes to effects.

The J-Station is no longer made. Line6 are really popular and Vox makes the Tonelab. There are obviously a bunch of others too, but I don't know much about them.

The downside of a modeler is you can't really play with someone else; you'll still need an amp for that.

markb
January 30th, 2008, 04:00 PM
How about a small modelling amp with a headphone socket? Best of both worlds, use the phones or the speaker as circumstances permit at home and you can still take it out to play if required.

Radioboy950
January 30th, 2008, 04:10 PM
You need an amp, dude. :poke:
However, I do know of one local guy, a multi instrumentalist, who plays guitar on a few songs during a gig, and he goes direct from some “Zoom” modeler into the PA, and it sounds OK. I personally wouldn’t do it… but that’s just me.
After a downsizing in one of my setups, I bought a small 65W solid state Peavey that was great for home, with a band, or if needed---mic’d thru PA.

piebaldpython
January 30th, 2008, 06:22 PM
RADIOBOY,
Pray tell, but which Peavey did you get?

mechanic
January 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM
How about a small modelling amp with a headphone socket? Best of both worlds, use the phones or the speaker as circumstances permit at home and you can still take it out to play if required.

+1 :AOK:
I have a Behringer GMX1200H that I use with headphones quite often.
Its a modeling amp with effects so I can play out with it using my 4x12 cabinet,
or at home just plug in the headphones and have at it.

Radioboy950
January 30th, 2008, 09:05 PM
RADIOBOY,
Pray tell, but which Peavey did you get?

It's the (now discontinued) Studio Pro 112 combo. I bought it around 1990. During it's production run, it underwent several design changes. Mine looks like this one in the pic.
The clean channel with a little touch of reverb sounds good to me. A Tubescreamer provides boost/overdrive when needed.
The distortion channel is OK with some tweaking. But with too much saturation it definitely sounds solid state.
Headphone out too.

hubberjub
January 31st, 2008, 04:14 PM
Get a half stack with a headphone jack. When you aren't using it put a sheet of plywood on top and it doubles as a table.

Justaguyin_nc
February 1st, 2008, 11:13 AM
SORRY in advance for a potentially REALLY DUMB question. aha Suppose one is cramped for playing space, family and getting an amp is a pain-in-the-butt for a variety of reasons. So, a little amp may not give one what they need or want tone wise, FX wise, quality wise. Would this be an ideal time to go solely with an MODELER and just plug into that (headphones too) instead of the grief with an amp? If so, what would be a good quality modeler to start with. Say, a system that had amp/cabinet modeling, decent FX, etc?? THANKS!!

Think thats the big reason most go modelers.. space, silence to others around them.. transport..
man, so many you can choose from... very good quality..
listen to clips from stingx, superswede, oldguy..etc.. etc.
most are using modelers... and ya must agree.. quality sounds!

Line 6 pods.. podsxt..
or,
if you just want it with computer the toneports are sweeeet...
toneport GX as little as 69 bucks to give it a try..

If your space is really tight.. you might have a stereo close by?

If so.. these modelers into computers and out thru a stereo are just fab..!!:rockon:

Than while using one of these.. you can save for that TUBE amp and pedals you decide you must have!! and blow everyone out of the house!!

Steve206
February 1st, 2008, 09:46 PM
I am just a fledgeling when it comes to lead guitars and amps, but, I did end up with a sound effects pre amp, somewhere along the line.

Found out that I could hook my guitar up to it, and it, to my stereo.

At the time, all I had was a 15 watt SS fender with 8" speaker. Once I plugged the pre amp into the stereo system, I found that I could stand in the middle of the room and have the guitar notes bouncing from right to left, right through me. Being a living room guy, it sure answered a lot of tonal questions that I had not even thought of asking.

Now, I have one of those AD30VTs. So far so good.

Then I got a Zoom MRS8 digital recorder and it has more models and effects than the Vox.

Like I said, just a living room guy. But, at this point, one with too many sounds to choose from. The way things are going, I will not be surprised to see a Casio watch with guitar effects and USB connections.

Steve

Duff
February 3rd, 2008, 03:18 AM
Piebaldpython:

I mentioned my Behringer GM110 before. Here is a link to it: http://audioallies.com/GetItem.asp?Item=GM110

This amp is really great. 30 ss watts. 10 inch Bugera speaker, built in DI out box with XLR and ground lift. All sorts of jacks on the back. Also phones, effects loop jacks, and external speaker jack, just verified by flashlight by me.

It has a drive dial on top, all controls on top, an eq section
three switch positions for amp: Calif, British, Tweed; three position switch for gain mode: Hot, hi gain, and clean; and three position switch for speaker: US, UK, and flat. EQ has low, mid, and high. Master volume with Drive dial. So you can combine the gain switch model with the drive dial to get more gain. Really a nice amp.

Check it out on harmonycentral.com, highly rated amp. I think it is discontinued but these guys are selling them brand new for 99 dollars. I have been highly impressed with mine and never thought I'd ever buy a Behringer amp, the reviews changed my mind and I took a chance. I also read that analog modelers are superior in tone and reliability to digital modelers. I love mine. It's right at the bottom of my bed and I often fall asleep playing quietly. Very relaxing. Also a very loud 30 watts. The built in DI box separates it from the newer version that has digital models and no DI box.

I'd say these will be impossible to find very soon and the "he who hesitates is lost" model might be turned on.
It is a classy looking amp not some super light cheaply built thing. Chrome corner protectors. Metal V tone analog modeling logo right on the sturdy black grill cloth.

To me it is a class act. 99 dollars for an amp like that with high reviews and great tone and tweakability plus being analog and 30 strong watts. I took a chance and made out good. This thing fills lots of nitches, and you could use a multipedal in front of it or through the effects loop.

Great touch sensitivity as well. Play soft and it is clean and gentle, hammer it and it senses the vibes and goes with it with a corresponding tone. I can't, obviously say enough good things about this amp. It is one of my favorites. That's why it is at the bottom of the bed.

Hope this helps out. I still really love that classic looking and sounding little Pathfinder 15R. It's my only VOX.

Hope this whole line on this amp helps give you some inspiration. The amp is probably half the price of a decent modeling pedal.

Duff
Winfield, Pa
mbolduc@dejazzd.com

TS808
February 3rd, 2008, 07:09 AM
I think the coolest amps out there for practice that have the ability to throw out some power if you decide to gig, are the Vox ADxxVT series. The fact that you can run them at 1 watt up to 30 or 50 (depending on which amp you get) really makes them a versatile workhorse. I own an AD50VT212 and it sounds great at low volumes as well as cranked. They are inexpensive, versatile, and put out some pretty good tones.

SuperSwede
February 3rd, 2008, 07:18 AM
Duff, that amp is a nice copy of the Tech21 Trademark 10/30. It has behringers GT2 copy integrated. I dont think that Behringer managed to copy the fat breakup style sounds from Tech 21, but the high gain settings is pretty much similar.