PDA

View Full Version : fretting about frets...

andyl
January 31st, 2008, 05:36 PM
Right I have a bit of a problem with my gibson SG, had it a few years now, no problems, Then recently I changed set up, nice action etc, started using 9's again. Like everything about my setup now, but on my high E bending on the 19th n 20th frets just fizzles,no real NOTE whatsoever. I'm pretty annoyed with it at this stage. frets 21 and 22 are fine, just 19 and 20. could it be time to get a fret dressing etc....??? any advice would be much appreciated.

Andy

oldguy
February 1st, 2008, 07:18 AM
You stated you started using 9's again. What gauge strings were you using last?
Had you used 9's on the SG before w/o any problems? I ask 'cause I've gone to lighter stings in the past and found some changes necessary due to them sitting lower in the nut slot. Adjusting the neck relief and the action helped correct the problem, though I was never sure why heavier strings didn't fret out and lighter ones did. I thought at the time the lighter strings let the neck bow back enough to fret out, but it only happened on a couple of frets.
Sometimes a fret can pull away from the fretboard, usually you can see if it's got a gap below it. And if you've played it long enough, the guitar could need a fret job. Those things I leave to a good guitar tech, which I'm not.

andyl
February 1st, 2008, 12:48 PM
I think i may do just that, gonna do an overhaul on the guitar soon anyway, new pickups and then maybe a pro-setup...sure its not too expensive in Dublin so i might as well get it done...it'll b worth it in the long run. thanks :)

Danzego
February 2nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Adjusting the neck relief and the action helped correct the problem, though I was never sure why heavier strings didn't fret out and lighter ones did. I thought at the time the lighter strings let the neck bow back enough to fret out, but it only happened on a couple of frets.

Not all frets will be at the same exact height, though. So if you have a couple that are a bit higher than others (even just a literal hair), that slight bow back from reduced tension due to lighter strings- bringing the strings down lower to the fretboard- could be juuuust enough for a couple of strings to fret out on a particular spot on the neck. You move a fret or two back or forward, no problem, but right at that spot, there just isn't enough clearance over the fret in front. :)

At that point, you have to either raise the action a bit to make up for the difference or get the frets leveled (the latter being more expensive or involved of a job than the former).