PDA

View Full Version : couple songs with my "Band"

Jamie O
January 31st, 2008, 08:51 PM
My friend and I have been playing together for a while trying to do instrumental 2 guitar stuff. After 6 months and about 8 solid songs, we figured I'd sing some stuff, we'd do some covers, write a few lyrics, and start working towards actually doing something! So we've got about 10 covers down,a few originals with lyrics, and done a few open mic nights. Last week we recorded 1 instrumental and 1 other original. We did the Instr. straight thru onto 2 tracks, the other we did the same and just overdubbed the vocal and 1 little slide part.( I'm sure this is all very interesting to you ). Heres our myspace with both of em up...

http://www.myspace.com/thebigdoublestandard

sunvalleylaw
February 1st, 2008, 12:31 AM
Nice! Fun acoustic blues on the first one. Nice latin feel on the second. I like how the two guitars work together on both! :bravo: :bravo:

stingx
February 1st, 2008, 06:59 AM
No myspace access at work. Will check this out later.

Jamie O
February 9th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks sunvalley. We aint the best guitar players in the world...(DER!)...but we put alot of effort into doin more than just strumming 3 chords and taking turns soloing. Btw , you live in Idaho...do you flyfish?

Spudman
February 10th, 2008, 12:12 AM
"Slashed my face with a razorblade?" Heavy punk man.:dude:

Sounds pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

aeolian
February 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Lots of nice acoustic picking in your songs, Jamie. You and your friend play very well together. You may not admit it but you guys are no slouch when it comes to picking.

Jamie O
March 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks fo tha kind woids guys.... I actually kinda thoght of the razorblade line as kind of old school bluesy! 1st couple of lines of lyrics I was trying to write something deep and meaningful about mistrust in relationships and such, and upon discovering Im a vapid airhead with no deep thoughts and emotions, I wrote the rest of the song with the idea of being as blues cliche as could.

Jipes
March 9th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Just passed to your Myspace page I like the feeling of Stolen Brasil specially the double lead melody that both are you play in harmonies very cool !

Three dollar seems a little bit less focused in the intro, Nice voice but probably a tiny bit too far in the mix ! I like the overall idea but some licks might need some re-working

Nice acoustic sound and well recorded :AOK:

Jipes

Jamie O
March 11th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Three dollar seems a little bit less focused in the intro, Nice voice but probably a tiny bit too far in the mix ! I like the overall idea but some licks might need some re-working

Jipes
If had my way Jipes, There'd be a different person's voice in the mix in the 1st place!

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks sunvalley. We aint the best guitar players in the world...(DER!)...but we put alot of effort into doin more than just strumming 3 chords and taking turns soloing. Btw , you live in Idaho...do you flyfish?

Oh, I think you guys do just fine. I liked it. Flyfish? Nah, not me. I grew up on salt water out on the west coast, and trolling with leaded line and spinners or Thompson Fenders was more my style. I read "A Stream Runs Through It", and laughed at how many times my fishing was insulted in that book. Not that I was ever much of a fisherman. I would rather be waterskiing if I am in a boat or on the water. :D

oldguy
March 11th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Sounds good to me, Jamie. You always had some cool tunes on the old "Blues" forum, too.
No copping out, tho. You need to work on the vocals, Your voice is good, just sing more! :bravo:

Jamie O
March 15th, 2008, 07:21 AM
No copping out, tho. You need to work on the vocals, Your voice is good, just sing more! :bravo:

Thats funny cuz I always think I hit the notes pretty well, and just have a bad sounding voice. Although I'll admit listening to that recording, theres some sour noots there. Its a song that was intended to be instrumental, and its not very easy for me to sing over it correctly sometimes.

oldguy
March 15th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Thats funny cuz I always think I hit the notes pretty well, and just have a bad sounding voice. Although I'll admit listening to that recording, theres some sour noots there. Its a song that was intended to be instrumental, and its not very easy for me to sing over it correctly sometimes.

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean you were off key or anything like that. I think you just need to "sing out" more. You're voice isn't bad, IMO, it's good. Most people don't like to hear the playback of themselves singing, I think.
Anyway, it wasn't meant as a criticism, what I should have said was.........
Jamie, you have a good voice, I think you should sing louder and more often, and post some more clips here for us to listen to.:)

Jamie O
March 16th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I
you should sing louder and more often, and post some more clips here for us to listen to.:)

Oh so it's like that huh?:) heres a vid of me doing a reworked version of whole lotta love at an open mic. It was supposed to be me and my friend Andy, but he busted a string, so I was left to fend for myself. can you tell how scared I am? Oh and be careful, when the vocal starts, its way louder than the guitar and if you've turned up your speakers, it will scare you.
Thanks for saying I have a decent voice oldguy, you're right, not alot of people like the sound of their own voice, and we've only been doing this since november and playing the open mic's since the new year. I obviously need to do it more!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJfaAM4-ARk

And heres us doing an instrumental, Tenor Madness, just cuz I think its cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0zYd6juomc

oldguy
March 17th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks for posting those, Jamie, enjoyed both of them.