PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul Supreme

VintAxe
March 25th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Just wondering what you guys think of the Les Paul Supreme. They are sure pretty but I've noticed you can buy them through online auctions for $600-$800 less than retail. It occurred to me that guys might be buying them for their looks and then deciding they don't like the way they sound. That chambered body sort of scares me. What do you think? Are they a good combination of looks and tone? How do they compare to the solids with similar pups? SB

Robert
March 25th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Hi VintAxe - welcome to the Fret! If you have the time, maybe you could post a little intro in the Fret Players section.

Les Paul Supreme - I am afraid I can't help you too much with that one. They sure look nice though! I'd be interested in that chambered sound myself, but testing a few out in a store would be best.

I hope some of the other guys around here can provide more information.

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I like chambered axes, but what do I know, I'm just a beginner? Trey Anastasio of Phish plays one. BB King plays one. They sound sweet to me.

Spudman
March 26th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I have tried both types and like the chambered better. They seem to project better and are a little brighter and snappier in their note responses.
I haven't tried one at high volume but I could imagine some difficulty in controlling sympathetic feedback - or not. Probably would depend on your style.

Plank_Spanker
September 30th, 2006, 08:56 PM
The Supremes are stunningly gorgeous up close and personal, but you're paying a ton for the extra eye candy. A figured back.......why? Gold frets......I wonder what they'll look like once they're worn in a bit?

The guitar comes with 490R / 498T pickups - the same as a Studio. I own a Studio Plus with those pickups and it sounds great - for less than half the price of the Supreme. I think the Supreme would be better served with '57 Classics or Burstbuckers.

Don't get me wrong. I love Gibson Les Pauls, and eye candy is cool, but I just can't see spending all of that extra money for a guitar that will sound very close to my Studio Plus. I'm sure the chambered body will make a minor difference in sound, but not at the cost of the Supreme.

If eye candy is your thing and you have the coin, the Les Paul Supreme is the guitar for you.