PDA

View Full Version : Learning To Love Again

t_ross33
February 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
Having picked up my "lead-ish" guitar gig a couple of years ago, I haven't spent much time with my bass, other than the few songs I switch off with our bass player on.

I did something today that was totally impulsive (like Fretters aren't gonna do that once in a while, eh?). I traded my ol' (some might say "vintage") Yamaha amp on a Hartke A35 (http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTKA35) bass amp for a couple a bucks and taxes paid. I wasn't using the Yammy much anymore and she is a HEAVY ol' girl. I was getting tired of lugging it around - she's been following me since I went to college, been to Ontario and back but hasn't seen much action lately. Being very pragmatic (yeah, right!:whatever:) I thought it was time to downsize to suit my needs better.

It's a pretty cool little amp. :AOK:The aluminum driver sounds very focused and punchy, and it's pretty loud for the size. Enough to shake the walls in my basement at any rate. Won't be gigging with it, but it'll be good for my basement "studio" and for practices. Even if it has trouble keeping up in practice, there is a DI out so we can dump 'er into the board anyway.

My bass sounds better than ever through this little gem and I had a great time playing it this morning.:bravo: Cranked out a bit o' Geddy even.

Trev

pie_man_25
February 3rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
congrats ross, might I ask which model you got?

t_ross33
February 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
See above (and my sig). It's an A35 (http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTKA35). 35W (a loud 35W mind you) with a 10" aluminum driver, CD input, effects loop, limiter, headphones and DI out.

Won't be gigging with it, although you can disconnect the speaker and plug into another cab - that might make a difference. It does get some less than stellar reviews, but I think it's from people expecting too much - Ampeg or Gaillen Krueger it ain't. No matter though. It's strictly for my basement (bassment :D) "studio" and for rehersals and small jam sessions. Sounds good to my ears. That and about $50 out of pocket is all that counts. :dude:

Trev

Algonquin
February 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Looks good Trev. Never had a bass amp myself... maybe one of these days.

:beer:

pie_man_25
February 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Looks good Trev. Never had a bass amp myself... maybe one of these days.

:beer:

well, you don't realy need an amp, I remember I started out with an old heathkit 20 watt all-purpose wamp and a big home-made 115 cab, it sounded astoundingly great, fierce and fat- yet cutting-lows and sharp, elegant highs, yet with a bit of tweaking you could get a nice singing midrange so sweet it'd make a jewish guy eat bacon(figuratively). I've been looking for a fifty or 100 watt tube head that could do the same, to no avail.

marnold
February 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM
so sweet it'd make a jewish guy eat bacon(figuratively)
This is off topic, but does anyone besides me think that "Figurative Bacon" would be a great name for a band?

Algonquin
February 5th, 2008, 03:40 PM
This is off topic, but does anyone besides me think that "Figurative Bacon" would be a great name for a band?
Or maybe... "Figurative Bacon Brothers" if it was a family endeavor! :dude:

t_ross33
February 5th, 2008, 08:39 PM
To further hijack my own thread, nice bass Algonquin! Where'd ja hook that?

I miss bass fishing. Closest I can get is smallies stocked in a few select lakes here. Used to do a week long canoe trip with my brothers-inlaw in Northern Ontario - don't remember the name of the lakes, but we did a pretty good series of paddling and portaging to get in to them.

Walleye and pike abound, along with lakers and rainbows, but you can't get a good piece of bass in SK :D

Trev

Algonquin
February 8th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Hey Trev, hijack schmijack...we're still talking about bass right?, and this is the bass forum. :AOK:

Here's a bigger shot of me playing with my bass. Reasonably light, probably weighing between 4 to 5 pounds at the 19" mark. Very tricky to tune though... it's tough to Tuna Fish :D

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/72147ac7c35373a9.jpg

aeolian
February 8th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Hey Trev, hijack schmijack...we're still talking about bass right?, and this is the bass forum. :AOK:

Here's a bigger shot of me playing with my bass. Reasonably light, probably weighing between 4 to 5 pounds at the 19" mark. Very tricky to tune though... it's tough to Tuna Fish :D

Super short scale for a bass.

Algonquin
February 8th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Super short scale for a bass.
And it's Frettless too!

Did I mention I only use it to practice 'Scales' :D

pie_man_25
February 11th, 2008, 03:12 PM

I suppose so