PDA

View Full Version : New Guy on the Block

Gil Janus
February 2nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
Good evening. I'm a new guy.

I'm a retired network engineer. I used to live and work in New York City - where I was born many moons ago. I got my first guitar over 30 years ago - a Korean acoustic - a Lero Model 58. However, life took over and I never got to really take the time to learn properly. My work and family took my time and energy.

Now that I'm a retired guy, I have plenty of free time to devote to music. So I'm relearning the guitar. This time I thought that I would do electric, so I've picked up a couple of guitars. I still have the old acoustic, and it still makes some nice noise :thwap:

I thought that I would start at the lower end and not kill my budget. I have the following equipment so far:

1973 Lero Model 58 Acoustic (Korean)
2005 Squier '51 - Black - 7 lbs - named Taka
2006 Squier Standard Strat - Special Edition Cherryburst - 8 lbs - named Yume

GAS for a Squier Affinity Tele in Butterscotch Blonde + Fender Super Champ XD.

Home made Pedal Board
Danelectro Chicken Salad; Fab Chorus, Echo, Flange
EHX LPB-1
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Vox DA-5 in Camo

and

Line6 Toneport KB37
M-Audio BB Pedals; Trigger Finger
<-> MacBook Pro - Garageband / GearBox / Live 6 Lite / Reaper

I've been using Garageband mostly to practice playing along and helping me to learn songs and rhythm patterns. I also practice using just the Vox amp without the effects pedals.

This seems like a nice place - a little different than FDP and the TDPRI or the Fender boards - I'm a member of all of them - same username.

I tend to do lots of research before diving into things. It took me years to pick out my car - it's a 2001 Mazda Miata British Racing Green (BRG) Special Edition - I just love it - it's a perfect match for the roads in Vermont.

I've posted a picture of myself in the appropriate thread. And here is quick shot of my 2 Squiers.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/giljanus/Guitars/DSC00008.jpg

And here's one of my Cherryburst with a Sedona strap that my daughter gave me for my birthday. It is from eyelandenterprises.com.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/giljanus/Guitars/STRAT-SEDONA1.jpg

Hope that this hasn't been too long. Like I said, I'm glad to be aboard.

Gil :cool:

mrmudcat
February 3rd, 2008, 04:37 AM
:beer: WELCOME

Plank_Spanker
February 3rd, 2008, 06:11 AM
Welcome to the fray.................................Oh, I mean The Fret! :beer:

Brian Krashpad
February 3rd, 2008, 06:19 AM
Welcome!

That strap looks like it cost almost as much as one of your guitars, very nice. I'm also over at tdpri and Fender from time to time, same name.

Algonquin
February 3rd, 2008, 06:41 AM
Welcome to the Fret Gil.

Good to have you aboard :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
February 3rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Welcome Gil!

I do a lot of research before buying as well, but often choose quirky things for reasons only my brain knows.

SuperSwede
February 3rd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Welcome Gil!

Another Mac user! :)

just strum
February 3rd, 2008, 08:17 AM
Welcome Gil, I love that Cherryburst and your daughter made a direct hit with that strap. I can decide on a guitar pretty quickly, but it took me almost a year and a half to find a strap. Most of the reason is because I'm cheap.:D

I think you will like it here - some of the best folks on the Internet reside here.

warren0728
February 3rd, 2008, 08:24 AM
welcome gil....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

sunvalleylaw
February 3rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Welcome Gil! I am relatively new to guitar (a little more than a year and a half) and am loving it. Recording myself on my Mac and messing with the great backing tracks people share here sure is helping me. The Toneport route is working out for me too. I would love to hear and favorite settings/tips you are using. Thanks for joining! Nice cherryburst, and I always did like the look of those '51s!

Gil Janus
February 3rd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks to you all for welcoming me aboard.

Yup, I'm a long time Mac user. I'm a rank beginner on the guitar, so my recorded efforts are not exactly melodious :p But, practice is the key to advancement.

I forgot to list a few things -

Bands that I like and influence me (in alpha order):

The Band
The Beatles
The Grateful Dead
The Doobie Brothers
Steely Dan

I also play around with Electronic Music (that's why I chose the KB37):

The Crystal Method
Enigma
Massive Attack

I'll try and generate some info about the presets that I'm using with the Gearbox software - it has so many, you can easily get lost trying to do something. Their Customtone library actually has some nice user supplied presets - it's just a slight pain to download them, make sure they work with what Tone Packs I have, and then see if they actually sound good :thwap:

Once again, thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm sure I'll pick up some good info and tips here. I've been reading the Squier section for a long time - it's what helped me pick my Squier '51 - and I thouht that I should join so that I could add my 2 cents :eek:

Well, enough of this, I need to finish my morning coffee and plan out today - I'm not a football follower, so I'll most likely be changing strings and cleaning my Strat today and then get down to some practice.

Later folks, :wave:

oldguy
February 3rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Welcome...glad you joined us.....nice pics. :AOK:

Have fun practicing on the Strat.... it's a nice looking guitar.
Glad to see another '51 owner as well.:)

Robert
February 3rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Welcome Gil, good to have you here!

I am a soon-to-be Mac user, just waiting for the newest Macbook Pro to come out... I also use Toneport and Gearbox.

Thanks for joining - this place is great, if I'm allowed to say so myself.

warren0728
February 3rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
Yup, I'm a long time Mac user.
we're gonna take over this forum....once you go mac....you never go back! :AOK:

ww :greenguitar:

Spudman
February 3rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Hi and welcome Gil. I have two of those Cherry Sunburst Squiers. Great guitar. Enjoy yourself around here.

birv2
February 3rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Welcome, Gill!

I think you'll enjoy the vibe here -- lots of nice people, support, and musical knowhow. I know I've make several major purchases, upgrades, etc., based on advice I've gotten here.

Great looking guitars (and strap!). I like Squiers, too, though I recently had the chance to drop some real money on a guitar and got my Jimmie Vaughan Strat. Still keeping the Squier though!

I've never done any recording, computer or otherwise (kind of weird, since I teach computers). But I hope to do some analog recording in the near future.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Bob

ted s
February 3rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Welcome Gil !, nice intro and pics.

tot_Ou_tard
February 3rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Nice collection of bands there Gil!

Keep on keepin' on!

Justaguyin_nc
February 3rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks to you all for welcoming me aboard.

I'll try and generate some info about the presets that I'm using with the Gearbox software - it has so many, you can easily get lost trying to do something. Their Customtone library actually has some nice user supplied presets - it's just a slight pain to download them, make sure they work with what Tone Packs I have, and then see if they actually sound good :thwap:

Welcome Gil! it's a great place to be.. :dude:

A few weeks back I was asking about a tiny 25 keyboard.. then noticed the KB37.. I really like my little Toneport GX and look forward to your reviews and presets for the KB37...

Does it do synths at all well? (Im in love with a digitech EX-7 for the space station) justa wondering...

As for being a MAC user... well, they are welcomed here.. :rotflmao:

Umm Warren Bul*cough*it... it will never happen... :pancake:

JUSTA KIDDING @@ !!

duhvoodooman
February 3rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Gil! Glad to have you here! Good start on the gear, but we're definitely gonna have to get you into a couple more guitars and a tube amp. Fortunately, we're just the bunch to help you.... :D :rockon:

Guitar Gal
February 3rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Glad to have you here Gil :beer:

GG

Gil Janus
February 3rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Gil! Glad to have you here! Good start on the gear, but we're definitely gonna have to get you into a couple more guitars and a tube amp. Fortunately, we're just the bunch to help you.... :D :rockon:

Thank you. In my first post I mentioned my GAS for a Telecaster and a Fender Super Champ XD! :thwap: I'm trying to keep my GAS down to a limited set so I don't blow my budget. :nono:

I would love to get a new Fender American Standard Telecaster in Natural finish w/ Maple Neck. :drool:

ET335
February 3rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Welcome Gil..you will like it here:dude:

M29
February 4th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Welcome Gil, :AOK:

M29

Axis
February 8th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Welcome GIL,

Everyone WELCOMED ME, so I'll welcome you. Consider yourself,:AOK: part