PDA

View Full Version : John Mayer

stingx
February 4th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Maybe you guys can explain this to me. I post on other forums and I notice that when I post about John Mayer I get a lot of negative responses. Is this jealousy? Think about it - the guy is a very good player. He studied at Berkeley, became a very good songwriter, switched his genre a bit and thoroughly loves to entertain. Why the hate? There's even moaning over him have Fender signature guitar. GOD FORFEND!!! I don't think he's the best thing to sliced bread or anything but I would be less than honest not to give credit where credit is due. Also, think about, who here wouldn't mind trading shoes with the guy? I like what I do for a living and all but the guy is living my dream :)

Anyway, I'd love to read your thoughts on this. Maybe someone has a good explaination.

tot_Ou_tard
February 4th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Music fans are often like petty little cliques in high school.

God knows how many times I've heard someone say that so-n-so sucks or such a group sold out.

I ignore all of it & happily go about enjoying music, all kinds of music. I'm a heretic in many circles (except those that really love music) & wouldn't have it any other way.

Other than that, I've got no explaination. It amazes me how much energy people put into narrowing their boundaries and their world. Smug certainty must feel snug & warm, I guess.

sunvalleylaw
February 4th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I cannot give an explanation, but notice the same thing. tot I think hits on part of it.

R_of_G
February 4th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Music fans are often like petty little cliques in high school.

God knows how many times I've heard someone say that so-n-so sucks or such a group sold out.

I ignore all of it & happily go about enjoying music, all kinds of music. I'm a heretic in many circles (except those that really love music) & wouldn't have it any other way.

Other than that, I've got no explaination. It amazes me how much energy people put into narrowing their boundaries and their world. Smug certainty must feel snug & warm, I guess.

well said tot. i have no problem with critiquing individual performances, recordings, etc, but try not write off anyone entirely bc it doesn't appeal to me personally. mayer for example doesn't really do it for me, but i certainly can hear the talent the guy has. he's a great player, just not what i'd choose to listen to.

sunvalleylaw
February 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM
OK, I had another thought. Building on what tot was saying, people like to label other people and other things and put them in little boxes, that can be called cliques, or even teams. It is this "whose team are you on" approach that often divides. Rather than look at an artist (or anyone really) for who they are or what they do, people find it easier/safer/something (I don't fully understand why) to put the artist/person in a box. Then you like that box or are are a fan of the team that is in that box or not. Radio formats and music marketing just tends to make this work.

John started in a fairly young audience "pop" type of box as far as radio is concerned (Consider his introducing Continuum on STAR, a pop station in LA. He noted that when they played "Bold as Love" it was probably the first and last time a guitar solo that long would be played on that station.), and is doing different stuff now. He indicates in interviews that he tries not to do follow up albums, but new "first" albums every time. Anyone who has seen someone try to change cliques (or leave them altogether) in high school knows what that can be like. Ok, I don't know if that is really anything new from what tot said, but those are a few more of my thoughts on the subject

oldguy
February 4th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I've read negative comments about Mayer in regards to his earlier work, when he was initially dismissed as a bubblegum rocker for tweens, and later how he sold out when blues became the genre he wanted to explore.
I don't own any music by him, but I've caught him on TV and on Youtube a few times, and I think he's a great guitarist and fine vocalist. It's cool that he decided to go w/ the blues, IMO........ it should get some of those younger fans of his earlier, easy listening music to have a listen, and perhaps explore the roots of the blues and the earlier musicians who played them.

As for people hating him........there are lots of jealous, bored, insecure, unhappy people out there, I guess.........read about nearly anyone in any comments/discussion thread, sooner or later it surfaces.
Gary Moore video on Youtube......I enjoyed it for what it was, great playing.
Start looking at the comments.....the most ridiculous, profane, idiotic things were said..... "he sold out"....... "watch the video, he misses a note, he sucks"..etc..etc.... not trying to hijack your thread, sting.......I'm just saying people like that are all over the 'net. Some of them want to insult, argue, belittle, and curse at anyone/anything.......for what??? They must have really empty, pathetic lives.
I think if my worst enemy suddenly got a signature Strat I'd be saying "Hey! I know that guy!!!" Then if someone asked " Really?? Are you serious?? He's a friend of your??" I could answer..... "He!! NO!, He's an A$$hole, but I know him!!" :bravo: :bravo:

I say if you like Mayer's music, cool, you know good music. If someone makes negative comments about him for no good reason, or w/o explanation.....too bad for them. I saw one video w/ him and Clapton doing "Crossroads", and he's no slouch on guitar or vocals..... I think I'll go look for that......:D

Robert
February 4th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Have you heard about the new "Fender Robert Renman Signature Strat". Yeah, I sold out.... :D

marnold
February 4th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I think John Mayer is an excellent guitarist and can be a very good singer. Of his originals, I really like "Waiting on the World to Change." I also like the blues standards that he's covered. Unfortunately, much of the rest of his original music I personally find to be highly annoying. If "Your Body is a Wonderland" or "Daughters" come on the radio, I find myself reaching quickly for a different station. I'm hoping that "Waiting on the World to Change" signals a change in musical direction for him away from the cloyingly sweet pop ballads to a more blues/r'n'b kind of vibe.

mark wein
February 4th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I really enjoyed his last album....I think that many people find him highly derivative, but you can say that about SRV (hendrix, t bone walker, alber king, buddy guy), Hendrix (buddy guy, curtis mayfield), Chuck Berry (charlie christian, t bone walker), Clapton (freddy King), Van Halen (Clapton, page), Yngwie (Ritchie Blackmore, Hendrix).

Everyone has the guys that they love and end up being influenced by. I think that John Mayer is still digesting his influences and hasn't found a real signature sound yet. Most of the big namees had that process largely finished by the time they reached Mayers level of sucess...

oldguy
February 4th, 2008, 10:12 AM
.......this is the one....maybe you've seen it, sting.
If not, maybe you'll like it.

In any case, it shows Mayer doing what he loves, live, onstage. And as we were discussing, the trash talk and comments about him and Clapton are posted below the video at Youtube.....not worth wasting the time to read, IMO........what's the old saying.....pearls before...oh, yeah.:pancake:

Zh4n1bZi4d8

SuperSwede
February 4th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I you listen to his live albums you can hear that there are a lot of females in the audience. Jealousy? yup

warren0728
February 4th, 2008, 10:54 AM
i think a lot of it comes fromthe fact he was a :pop" star...but at least he is trying to introduce blues style music to those who might never have heard it otherwise.

I thought it was funny that on the crossroads 2 chicago dvd mayer said something like....since he was asked by eric to come back and play again for the second festival he actually felt he belonged there....and then said he would let the guys on the boards (forums) fight that out..... :bravo:

ww

Tone2TheBone
February 4th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I started liking John's stuff even before I found out he was "the guitar player". I just like his music. (Before I finally got an iPod) I got tired of hearing The Scorpions over and over on the local rock station so I started listening to the adult alternative/contemporary station and that's where I got familiar with his music. I loved his songwriting and the way he sang. I never knew he played guitar. I guess I've been a fan of his since he started. I like the direction he's gone with the blues playing. He is kind of an egomaniac but I attribute that cockiness to his age. Good player definately.

Robert
February 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM
He's a good player, and he's not new to blues. He played blues from an early age. He didn't want to be an SRV clone, so did something else and became famous.

The fact that he became known for his soft, girly songs, and then "suddenly" is seen as a blues player is probably what disturbs some blues guitar fans. Maybe they don't think he is "worthy enough", or something? If so, that is bologna, in my opinion. He can play good blues guitar, end of story for me.

player
February 4th, 2008, 02:34 PM
isn't that the truth Robert I've been listening and hearing him play Blues for the last five plus years.caught him once long ago on Austin City Limits Fantastic. but would like to see him live someday.he is a player no doubt about it.

warren0728
February 4th, 2008, 03:47 PM
but would like to see him live someday.he is a player no doubt about it.
he is a good player but i can't stand to look at his facial expressions when he sings....his voice is good....his expressions just seem to grate on my nerves!

ww

Robert
February 4th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Just close your eyes, Warren! Or wrap a poster of some babe over the TV next time. :greenguitar: :poke:

warren0728
February 4th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Just close your eyes, Warren! Or wrap a poster of some babe over the TV next time. :greenguitar: :poke:
i just watch his hands....if you have the crossroads 2 chicago dvd watch mayer and you'll see what i mean....then fast forward and watch jeff becks's bassist.... :drool:

ww

Spudman
February 4th, 2008, 05:41 PM
You can't really say that John 'sold out' because he kind of 'sold everything off' when he decided to do blues. He's kind of doing things backwards.:bravo:

I think a lot of people are jealous and that's why they pick on him. The sentiment is probably 'why him and not me?' or I could have done that...but they didn't.

I like John Mayer! :AOK:

warren0728
February 4th, 2008, 06:04 PM
You can't really say that John 'sold out' because he kind of 'sold everything off' when he decided to do blues. He's kind of doing things backwards.
i agree....he could have continued producing pop albums and selling tons of music to teenage girls but he decided to go back to his true love....the blues...and introduce it to a whole new audience....gotta give him props for that! :bravo:

ww

just strum
February 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I'm not familiar with a lot of his music. I watch the clips that get posted here and have explored clips on youtube. I like his work, but couldn't carry on a detailed discussion about it.

As for negative comments or vibes, I think a lot of people begin to dislike an artist when they "make it". Although they are making more money, they tend to lose their early following - REM, Green Day, Chilly Peppers...are just a few that come to mind.

Spud made the comment that John sort of did it in reverse, so that initial fan base probably disappeared when he started playing blues. What sort of negative comments do people say about him?

player
February 4th, 2008, 07:24 PM
[/QUOTE]

Spud made the comment that John sort of did it in reverse, so that initial fan base probably disappeared when he started playing blues. What sort of negative comments do people say about him?[/QUOTE]

That is strange last I heard his fan base was growing not declining since he has been into the blues,rave reviews are now seen and nothing negative to date has been heard or seen.at least not that I've seen/heard

stingx
February 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all your input on this topic. Very interesting reading.

Spudman
February 4th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Amazing! 23 posts and nobody got called a fag or douchebag for mentioning John Mayer. An Internet first. Hurray for thefret.:bravo:

t_ross33
February 4th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I started digging Mayer back in his "Wonderland" era. He was one of the few acoustic players, other than maybe Dave Mathews, to break into the mainstream and he had great chops. While his songwriting was on "pop" side, I liked his approach and craftsmanship.

I don't see him as egotistical or arrogant. Cocky, yes but that's just part of his personality (read his blogs - he's hilarious). How many artists would dress up in a bear suit and then slag themselves on camera before tailgating fans :rotflmao:

The dude has serious tone and absolutely wails on a Strat IMHO. I do agree that his facial expressions leave me wondering if he's lost his meds, but I can get over that. I'm usually listening and not watching anyway.

Good to see that there are so many level headed folks here on the Fret who truly appreciate music as an art and a craft (just don't run with scissors), and not as a :p opularity contest.

Trev

stingx
February 4th, 2008, 09:46 PM
A lot of musicians make terrible faces when they perform. One that immediately comes to mind is Billy Joel. This is, in fact, why he didn't like to be shown performing live on MTV and instead preferred the conceptual videos. I have to agree though, John makes faces as if he just bought a book on cunnilingus and is practicing "dotting the i". :)

tot_Ou_tard
February 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I have to agree though, John makes faces as if he just bought a book on cunnilingus and is practicing "dotting the i". :)
I'll bet that a lot of females in the audience think that that is a pretty damn good face ;)

Everyone is, of course, free to like or not like any artist they choose, but there is a world of difference between a simple personal choice of musical taste & running someone else down for their tastes or ad hominen attacks on the artist himself.

...off to listen to Muskrat Love :rotflmao: .

warren0728
February 5th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Amazing! 23 posts and nobody got called a fag or douchebag for mentioning John Mayer. An Internet first. Hurray for thefret.:bravo:
yep....wouldn't happen on the gear page where they bash mayer almost everyday....i'm pretty sure he reads that forum and that's why he made his remark about the people on the boards before playing at crossroads 2. :poke:

ww

Robert
February 5th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Warren, what remark did he make before playing? I haven't seen that.

warren0728
February 5th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Warren, what remark did he make before playing? I haven't seen that.
he was talking about how the first time he played crossroads he was in awe and not sure he belonged....but when he was asked to play again for the second crossroads he felt like he did belong...but he would let the guys on the boards argue about that....or something to that effect!

i laughed when i heard it cause there always seem to be a mayer bashing thread open at the gear page!

ww

snarph
February 5th, 2008, 09:33 AM
yup the kid can ply and hes got tattoos too. And just think he is playing killer blues and isn't even a junky or an alcoholic

oldguy
February 5th, 2008, 09:44 AM
yup the kid can ply and hes got tattoos too. And just think he is playing killer blues and isn't even a junky or an alcoholic

:beer: :beer: :beer:
Amazing, isn't it?
Too bad about (insert dumba$$ insult here), tho.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

warren0728
February 5th, 2008, 09:46 AM
And just think he is playing killer blues and isn't even a junky or an alcoholic
give him time....he's still young! :beer:

ww

scottish_bluesman
February 6th, 2008, 02:49 AM
yeah had a look at the youtube one it is amazing the little hand bag fights people get into over the comments

this one for example

p09tart08 (4 hours ago) Show Hide Marked as spam 0 Reply | Spam umm...claptons solo is the more sloppy one.....Mayers is perfect

sigh.... whats this world coming to

to me it was a great performance ive heard johns version of lenny and wind crys really good i to am hoping he strolls down the blues path and ditches the pop based stuff

Sblack
February 6th, 2008, 05:40 AM
How anyone can lessen the abilities and talents of an exceptional player is beyond me. I have been a Mayer fan ever since I heard Try!; he is an incredibly talented musician, guitar player, and songwriter. What is there not to like?

Tone2TheBone
February 6th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I like his pop stuff and would like to see him do both.

sunvalleylaw
February 6th, 2008, 10:37 AM
How anyone can lessen the abilities and talents of an exceptional player is beyond me. I have been a Mayer fan ever since I heard Try!; he is an incredibly talented musician, guitar player, and songwriter. What is there not to like?

Same, I really didn't know about him much until Spud turned me on to Continuum and Try!. I am going to go back and listen to some of the pop stuff more just to check it out and see how he approached the songs. "Daughters" is about the only one I have heard.

With his blues oriented stuff, I think he blends in nicely some soul influences. For example, on Continuum, I really hear some Marvin Gaye in the mix, esp. on "Belief". On his recent Austin City Limits appearance, I heard some good old "Gratitude" era E,W & F in one of the intros. "Vultures" I think. I will have to go back and listen and I will edit to be more specific. (Edit: It is "Vultures", and it does remind me of some "Gratitude" funk in the intro for sure.) Likewise, the vocals and harmonies on the ACL performance of "Don't Trust Myself" Sometimes his approach to the blues is not completely traditional and blends these funk/soul/RB influences in with traditional blues music. Maybe that causes some blues fans concern and drives some of the criticism. Completely different approach from Bonamassa for instance. But I think it is a cool approach, and maybe it will be his voice or sound as he develops. It will be fun to watch and see.

Ok, enough John for right now. Gonna turn on some Marley!

Katastrophe
February 6th, 2008, 10:41 AM
It's kinda cool, listening to Mayer mature album by album. He's a talented guy playing the music that he loves to play.

I'm jealous.:messedup:

It's funny, I'll bet my last dollar that 99% of the people giving Mayer grief over his pop stuff (which is well written and played, with really catchy hooks) would give anything to have a record deal, play sold out dates, and write and perform music for a living. Most of 'em would probably say, "Yeah, but he's a sellout," on their way to twistin' slurpees at the 7-Eleven. There's some serious irony there!;)

scottish_bluesman
February 7th, 2008, 03:49 AM
i have his room for squares album at home which i really like acoustic wise
has some really good riffs etc

Spudman
February 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I figured out why everyone rags on John......he gets better looking women than any of them get.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/People/jessica.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/People/89_minka_kelly.jpg

marnold
February 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I figured out why everyone rags on John......he gets better looking women than any of them get.
That's one thing for sure. No one can EVER argue with his taste in women. Yowza.

Iago
February 13th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I like his music. He writes very tasty pop stuff in my opinion. There's always some interesting riff in it (at least the later stuff.. i don't know about the first album) I also think he's one of the best strat players out there right now and his got a great tone. I also like his singing a lot. Never read an interview with him.

mrmudcat
February 13th, 2008, 05:43 AM
We like mayer in our house!! He did not sellout ,how do you do that anyway.Leave the millions to be made selling the bubblegum and take on the blues:thwap: Its not like he is Steven Seagal the mojo priest:bootyshake:

Jipes
February 13th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I'm not in any mean an expert to John Mayer but I rememeber him on a vodeo playing with Pino Palladino and a great drummer (can remember his name right now) and he was playing a "mean" blues very electric and highly dynamic, later I saw him on the AOL video sessions and I was slightly disapointed by his style, rather nice pop ballads but not much my taste. His songs on the crossroads festivals DVD are sure good stuff so I appreciate what he plays but would probably never get a record from him.

As to be hated in the forums you can get almost the same thing with another great guitar player Robert Cray which is one of my favorite blues / soul performer of our times. Each times I discuss about him I got plenty of bad comments and angry griefs against him :confused: Never quite understand either why :messedup:

jipes